SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jude31

Fig Jam ?????

jude31
13 years ago

Good morning! I have a fig jam recipe (?) that I copied from, where I don't remember. It's very vague, but simple. My question first, is it safe and if so can it be BWB and for how long? This is the way the recipe is written:

'Ripe figs. Cut off the stem and weigh the figs.

How much sugar to use? Half the weight of the figs. (I have 1.2kg, so I use around 550-600g sugar).

Direction: Put the sugar and fruit together in a big bowl. Stir well, then refrigerate the whole thing overnight.

The next day, boil the sugar and figs together in a heavy saucepan. Once the sugar is boiled, gently remove the fruits with a slotted spoon. Continue to boil the sugar syrup until it reaches 110C (hard-ball stage). Return the fruit to the sugar mixture.

Break up the fruits with a wooden spoon. Continue to boil the whole thing with gentle heat until the jam thickens (around 1 hour for me?) Stir occasionally. Squeeze is some juice of 1-2 lemons (do a taste test. I used 1.5 lemons.) Continue to boil off until everything is set

Pour the hot jam into sterilized jars. Seal, cool and refrigerate.'

Would someone please critique it and tell me if it is indeed safe and if not can it be altered so that it is safe?

When I first read it I thought, if it sounds too good (and easy)to be safe it probably is.

TIA

jude

Comments (14)