SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robycanoby

Large area of lawn struggling/dying in Utah.

Mark Robason
8 years ago

I've been trying to figure out the cause of this problem, so thought I would try to take advantage of the knowledge of the people here. I moved into this house about a year and a half ago and a large portion of the back yard (pictured) and a smaller section of the front looks terrible. At first I thought it was sections just not getting enough water or because it was getting too much sunlight, but I've checked the sprinklers and it seems to be getting the same amount as the part of the lawn that is doing well. It is in full sun, which isn't ideal for some grass types, but there's other parts that get full sun as well and seem to be fine. The only other thing I can think of is a disease of some type? A fungus seemed a possibility to me, but It's really gotten worse over the past week, when it's been hot (mid 90s) and dry. Please help!

The facts:

-I'm watering 3 times a week for 25 min on rotating sprinklers. After looking through the forums here looking for ideas, I'm aware I need to measure the actual amount in inches that I'm watering, because I have no idea. I'll be doing that tonight.

-The soil seems pretty compacted and I had a pretty thick thatch layer built up, so I had someone aerate and power rake my lawn about a month and a half ago. Since then most of my lawn seems to be doing well, aside from the dead area shown in the photos.

-The dead area is covered by 4 different rotating sprinklers, all of which have been checked to make sure they are covering the area properly. As mentioned I haven't measured the watering yet, but it seems to be similar to the areas that are growing well.

The unknowns:

-I don't know the grass type. It seems Kentucky bluegrass and Fescue are the types most common to my area, but after trying to compare mine to pictures on the internet, I still can't tell. All I know is I recently moved here from Texas, and this definitely isn't the Bermuda grass I'm used too =). Perhaps someone who can tell from the photos can let me know what I actually have!

The dead area:

The good area close up:

The dead area close up:

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips. Very much appreciated.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022