SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hennen

Soil test and mysterious jar test results - dying lawn

hennen
7 years ago

My original post was at [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/sod-laid-on-clay-now-dying-how-to-rejuvenate-dsvw-vd~4535850[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/sod-laid-on-clay-now-dying-how-to-rejuvenate-dsvw-vd~4535850). As requested I did a jar test and have the soil test results from Logan Labs.

Southeast Michigan, Zone 6b, Kentucky Bluesgrass.

Our house was built 5 years ago. The builder brought in a bunch of soil that has a clay like consistency then put sod right on top of it.

We have sprinklers. They run for 7 minutes twice a day, a total of 14 minutes a day. There is a rain sensor so it doesn't run if it has rained. In the spring and fall I turn it to 60-70% seasonal adjust. I run it for such a short time so frequently because the soil does not really absorb any water. Any longer and the water just basically starts to puddle.

For the first two years the grass was fine. For the last three years it has been on the decline. Summer of 2016 there was a large die off. Lots of dead patches, then a TON of weeds filled in the bare spots. I pulled weeds and tried over seeding, but I am pretty sure I started too late in the season. Some grass came in, but mostly more weeds.

The lawn where we have the original soil looks really great, lush, and mostly weed free.

Every year I put down Dimension as a pre-emergent and for the past two years fertilized with milorganite. I spot treat weeds with 4-Speed XT (2,4-D, triclopyr, dicamba, and pyraflufen-ethyl), though I didn’t this year since I was trying to over seed.

3 years ago I top dressed with compost and in 2016 with a compost/soil mix.

Here are the results of the soil test from Logan Labs.

Now on to the jar test. I took samples from my back and side yard. It came out in hard clumps. I let it dry so I could then crush the lumps into smaller pieces and remove large rocks and debris. I filled each jar half full.

The samples in the large jars labeled “Back” and “Side” I think I crushed up too much. There are no discernible layers. It took 24 hours before you could even start to see water at the top of the jar. What is pictured is after 5 days of settling. It continues to settle very slightly each additional day.

The sample in the small jar is from the side yard. When the large jars weren’t settling, I started the second test. I only barely crushed the clumps. It settled out faster, and there is a discernible layer of sand at 1cm. The total height was 5cm. What is pictured is 4 days of settling. So that sample has 20% sand, 80% silt or clay.

I’ve done several jar tests before for the garden plots, but never had the weird separation like this, so I’m really not sure how to read these results.

Comments (16)