SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmp2z

Struggling vainly against traditional lawn

hmp2z
16 years ago

Hi! I feel like I am struggling in vain against a traditional lawn. Our landscaper says that our best option is to lay down sod (bahia). I suggested that I'd like clover mixed in, but he pooh-poohed that, saying that birds and squirrels would eat the seeds. What I'd really like is a mix of clover, white buttercup (also called pale evening primrose), and sunshine mimosa. I'm trying to recreate the lawn that my parents had when I was a child. I loved how lush and green it was, and I loved how many different flowers grew in it.

I just don't know how to argue with the landscaper about this, so I'm thinking that maybe I will just let him lay the bahia sod, and then just seed the area with these other plants. Will that work? Or will they be overpowered by the bahia? Or will they, as the landscaper says, be eaten by squirrels and birds, so that my work will come to nothing?

I am not interested in a "traditional" lawn; I don't want my house to look like a golf course. But I do want some green, lush underfoot stuff for a small part of the front yard, and for a small part of the backyard - I have a dog who lives to roll joyously in grass.

I am just looking for suggestions here. I don't know much about landscaping, so I feel like I'm getting kind of rolled over by the landscaper. Now, maybe his concerns are perfectly valid. Or, maybe it just is possible to have a lawn that intermingles grass with other groundcovers like buttercups, clover, and sunshine mimosa.

Anyone have thoughts on this? To give details, our front yard is a mix of sun & shade, while our back yard has more sun. We have these big islands of oaks & palmettos that I'm leaving the way they are, but there is a small-ish patch of lawn area in the front & back yards.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Heather W

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Home Construction Journal

Comments (18)