SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atheen_

Need help on improving soil for container meyer lemons.

Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, All,

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Atheen, and I'm still very new at all this. I have two meyer lemons in containers. I live in Maryland, and my trees are only going to be out on the deck during the spring to fall months. They will take their winter residence in my living room around October :)

Both my trees have been acclimating to living on my deck during the last month. One had lost all its leaves a couple of weeks before I took them out thanks to parasites and me being a little too enthusiastic with the cleaning of the leaves. As I said, I'm still learning.

My trees are doing good right now, New leaves and flours are budding on the bare tree and the other one is sporting tons of buds as well. It's time for repotting.

Forecast for this week is hot and sunny for the rest of the week. We've just been hit with a huge (and I mean really huge) wave of thunderstorms with very heavy rains that lasted a good 7 hours, so the container soil is pretty much drenched at this time. This is the forecast planned for the rest of the week:

Soooo, here we go. This is what I have to work with. I need help figuring the proportions.

1. Farfard Custom Mix. It's quite a bit finer than the 52 they were supposed to send, but oh well, what's done is done and this is what I have. It might not be perfect, but it will in any case be better than the nursery soil my trees are still in right now.

To help with the coarseness, I bought coarse perlite:

and finally, bark:

How much of what would you add to that Farfard mix? And I beg you, try using what I have listed above. All that stuff was expensive. I need to use it or I'll have a very grumpy husband :)

Atheen

PS: Before you send me there, yes I have read the thread on container soils. But there is just way too much information for me to figure out what to do with it. New Meyer lemon owner here. Still in my baby steps :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County