SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Need help with Improved Meyer Lemon tree.

14 years ago

Hello everyone. Happy Spring! I never thought it would arrive. Even though spring means that the plants and trees will start growing and blooming, I want to start planting right away and can't because at this stage of the game, we still have drastic diffrences in temperature extremes. Last week we were in the fifties and sixties all week with only a night or two that went below freezing. Normally I will go to a grocery store or Walmart and buy a pot or two of hyacinths to get me thru until it's time to plant. However this year I bought a huge meyer lemon tree and the fragrance of the citrus blooms have filled my house nicely. I went to the citrus forum and asked if anyone could help me with pruning. I need to keep this tree around 6.5-7.0 feet tall, otherwise I would have to cut a hole in the celing and I don't think my landlady would go for that! I would like to encourage as much growth sideways possible. I wouldn't mind if it got to 5ft or 6ft wide. The flowers are worth it alone. Will there be any time when the tree doesn't have flowers or fruit? I don't want to cut off branches with either but if I need to I will. My last question is about cuttings. On the citrus forum a few people said that there rooted cuttings grew nothing but flowers and fruit. They would not grow much in terms of height and no new leaves or branches. Could this have been due to where the cuttings were taken? I want to root some of the wood I prune. I have had sucess with ponderosa lemons and am hoping that the Meyer will also be easy.

Andrew

Comments (2)