SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beanqueen11

Please help me choose a fertilizer for container Meyer Lemon!

beanqueen11
9 years ago

Hello, long time forum lurker and first time poster! Happy to be here and thankful for all of the knowledge that I have gained from this community over the years.

Feel free to educate me if I'm posting this in the wrong place; I have searched and searched through the citrus forums and I'm having a bit of information overload and I was hopeful that someone could help me out.

I just obtained an Improved Meyer Lemon from my local garden center. I killed my last IML and have been doing tons of research so that I don't do it again! I'll spare the gory details, but I think the #1 problem was that I rarely fed it. So my question is about fertilizer choice.

I'm trying to avoid buying some type of new fertilizer when I have lots of available options at home. I don't think any are quite right though, from what I'm reading the ideal ratio is 3-1-2 and I don't have that. Here's what I've got:

Schultz Orchid fertilizer 19-31-17
Schultz Plant Food Plus 10-15-10
MI State fertilizer 13-3-15
Miracle Gro Houseplant Food 8-7-6

I use the MI State most often on my orchids and most other houseplants with fine results. I also have Epsom salts in the house and can provide any other details from the labels about what may or may not be in the above fertilizers.

And now the rest of the specifics:

It will always be a container plant (I live in Minnesota!), but I take most of my plants outside in the summer as conditions permit. It will likely not be able to go outside until next spring, as it is currently down to the 40s overnight here.

For placement, it's hanging out with my orchids about 6 feet away from floor to ceiling windows with a straight southern exposure. I can draw the sheers if the light/heat gets too strong during the day (it never does except in July maybe, did I mention that I live in Minnesota?!?)

I mist my orchids (and now the lemon) daily and put a small humidifier near them during the winter months. It helps us all feel better during the cold months.

The lemon is in what looks to be it's original Monrovia 6 inch pot. the soil was soaking when I got it so I haven't watered yet. I dug some out to see what it's planted in but it's hard to say since it's so damp still. It is pretty fine material and seems to be well amended with sand. It's not plain crappy potting soil. I don't intend to repot it until next spring at least, since it has tons of blooms right now and I don't want to freak it out at this time of year.

I'd appreciate any guidance from the pros here! If it's best that I go out and get a new fertilizer I will do that, because I am determined to succeed this time around. Thanks!

Comments (15)