SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_43

improved meyer lemon

9 years ago

HELP! I bought an approximately 18" improved meyer lemon at Lowe's a little over 3 weeks ago. Yellow tag around trunk has two dates: 1/4/12 and T-8/16/12, so tree must be 2 years old. Producer is Duarte. Per instructions on Duarte tag, I potted it in Palm & Cactus potting soil, in a plastic container that is about 13" x 18". I watered it about every other day for the first week, then backed off to once a week. The pot is on the north side of my house where it gets morning and late afternoon sun, but is shaded from the searing mid-day Arizona sun. Tree had one little lemon on it when I got it, which withered and died. Since then another little lemon has appeared.
Yesterday I fed it about 1.25 cups of Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Continuous Release citrus, avocado, mango plant food [N=13%; Phosph=7%; Potash=13%; Sulfur=11%; trace Mangnesium, Manganese & Zinc], scratched the granules into the soil, and watered until water started coming out the bottom of the pot (before feeding, soil was dry to about 4 or 5 inches down). Today three leaves are starting to turn yellow.
What am I doing wrong? What can I do to mitigate my mistakes?
Thanks for your help.

Comments (6)