SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dalecarns

Question about a mature Kousa Dogwood

dalecarns
8 years ago

I have a mature Kousa Dogwood in my backyard that has been there since we moved to the house in 2006. It has always looked terrific with great blooms each year in May-June. I noticed this year that all of the branches did not leaf out at the same time(the top branches took much longer) and some have still not leafed out although I can see buds on the tips. It's all the higher top branches that have not opened up yet, and I noticed that on many of the top branches , the leaves that have opened are staying smaller as if they are not as healthy. The rest of the tree appears healthy and it has flowered with nice bracts again, but the top of the tree has me curious. I know Kousa's like heavy watering and since it's been extremely dry here in New Jersey, I stick a hose in the ground right next to the trunk and allow a trickle to run for 20-30 minutes once a week. I also mulched heavily around the base and I was wondering if that is somehow causing an adverse affect. I have noticed other dogwoods that are not mulched at all and they look wonderful as well. Thanks for your reply's, I hope this is not a sign of weakness in this tree. I attached some photos and you'll see the couple center branches with no leaves or very small ones. Sorry but two photos came out sideways.

Comments (8)