SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennie_oh_gw

Kousa Dogwood, Cleveland or Bradford Pear ?

jennie_oh
15 years ago

Ok, had 2 20' nice Dogwoods (native to OH & not sure what their called) die ! Have a bunch of these saved around the lot we built on. Seems some die off every few yrs. .

Well, was told about the Kousa & them being much better than the reg old OH Dogwoods. I need to replace 2 nice size trees & up in the air about trying the Kousa or a Pear ? If Pear, not sure if we should do the Cleveland or Bradford ? Hubby likes the looks of Pear, but I have mainly Dogwoods & Redbuds throughout the backyard with a few Maples & Oaks.

Wanting a nice flowering small tree since the Maples & Oaks will be real big someday. Have to watch the septic tank area also.

My question is, this location is in our backyard where it's mostly full sun, on a slight falling hillside (backyard),& gets Winter winds. Will get full sun as of now until the Maples & Oaks start to get some size on them. Will a Kousa do good here ? Card to them says only morning sun. I know some trees/plants state this, but I have still tried & grown with no problems, hosta in full sun vs shade. I have a pink Dogwood planted in this same area I'm talking about. Has been planted about 2 yrs. .

I would rather stay Dogwood since I have more of a natural look around the house/yard. Not sure a Pear would fit the bill ???? I do have about 3 Crabapples I have thrown in the mix though.

Just not sure on the Pears, look pretty on the card, but boy they get big. Would like to stay smaller flowering type trees under the bigger Maples/Oaks.

Ok, shot me your opinions.....................

~Thanks~

Comments (11)