SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danarasmussen

Vinyl vs Laminate flooring- Which one's the best bad choice?

danarasmussen
8 years ago

In terms of resell value, wood flooring is the best flooring choice because it is considered an upgrade and so it will boost the value of the home.

But, wood flooring won't work for my situation- kids, pet, etc.. even though I want something that looks like wood. For my current living situation, I'll need something tougher and more durable than hardwood floors- either vinyl or laminate.

So, I was thinking about getting vinyl planks that look like wood but then somebody pointed out in another thread that vinyl is considered 'down market' and that buyers will offer less money because of the perceived 'cheapness' factor of vinyl flooring.

I know that this won't be my forever house and I'm going to move sooner rather than later so I need to keep an eye on how my choices will affect the resell value.

I'm well aware that laminate won't boost up the resell value like wood flooring, but well it have as much of a negative impact like vinyl plank flooring?

If you had to choose between vinyl and laminate, which one's the best bad choice for resell value? I don't expect either to increase the value so I'm looking for the option that will least negatively hurt the resell value.

Is it the choice that's the closest looking thing to real hardwood? Will that be laminate or vinyl?

Comments (18)