SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nash_stanton

Laminate Planks vs Vinyl Planks in 2021?

Nash Stanton
3 years ago

Hi all,

I talked to 3 flooring experts.

Two of them say "no one buys laminate flooring anymore". I was shocked to hear this, because one year ago I installed 10mm "water proof" laminate flooring in my office and I love it. It's dead quiet, has no problem being wet mopped, and looks terrific.

The other one says "Vinyl planks are fantastic, but I don't think I'd install it in my forever home over lamiante". Like, OK, why?

I'm replacing 650 square foot of flooring soon that will run through the kitchen, entrance-way, living room, dining room, and hallways.

I find that 10mm or greater quality laminate flooring (typically not form big box stores) feels VERY stiff, is very quiet, super easy to clean, and doesn't make any noise. Conversely, I have had negative experiences with 8mm laminate flooring that is louder, but also super easy to clean. I find that 10mm is that threshold to quality personally.

Should I install vinyl planks through the house instead of laminate? Is laminate truly on its way out?

With vinyl, I worry about:

1) It's a thinner product, more flex? I want something that feels as solid as 10mm+ laminate.

2) It's a thinner product, does more subflooring work need to be done as far as leveling? With 10mm laminate, I barely do anything before laying it down. I've never leveled out the floor in my 90s house for laminate. Is the same true for Vinyl planks?

If what I'm being told is true, that Vinyl planks should be considered over laminate planks in 2021 then:

What is comparable in quality to a 10mm+ high quality laminate flooring when it comes to luxury vinyl planks? What should the wear layer be, and how thick should it be?

Comments (15)