SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lecoopsta

What can I do to make my grass grow? (Picture)

lecoopsta
8 years ago

First time poster. Came across this forum and saw a lot of good and helpful folks.

I recently moved into a cookie cutter neighborhood in North Texas. Zip 75068. First owner, first summer, and this is what my grass looks like. This is my actual lawn. Some sections grow better than others, but most of the lawn looks like that. At first I thought it might just be thatch, but it looks to be more than that to my untrained, novice eye.

I'm inching closer and closer to just walking up to the neighbors home a few streets down and asking them what they did to get the perfect lawn, but I feel that's a little bit creepy. Every day when I pass their lawn though I get lawn envy. I just want a lush, thick, soft, green lawn like his. I want it to look like this.

Another big thing I would like to fix is for the grass to grow up from the curb a bit. Most sections of my lawn are even with the concrete the grass butts up to and in some sections, the grass is actually lower than the concrete. You can sort of see this in the picture of my lawn, but it's tough to tell. This is what I'd prefer. I don't know if this is something where soil needs to be added slowly over time or if I just need to get the grass growing more healthily first and it will pop up over time.

General lawn information. If I forget something or you need more, let me know.

• I don't know exactly what type of grass it is other than some sort of Bermuda. Maybe one of you pros can tell.
  • I use a Honda Rotary mower. Brand new.
  • My wife signed us up for Scotts Lawn Service (without me knowing), so they're doing their regular pre-emergent / fertilizing / pest control routine. Don't think I can cancel at this point without losing the money, so I'll probably just keep them through this year, though I can do anything I need to to supplement what they're putting down.
  • I assume the grass was laid during the summer last year as the house was finished in July/August.

Now, I know it will take some time, it isn't something that's just going to happen overnight (which is hard for me because I'm a "results now" type of person). But what do I need to do starting today to slowly fix these issues?

Thank you all in advance for any advice you can share.

Comments (9)