SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmac96

Discouraged: Can I really grow my AV to look like the pictures?

tmac96
18 years ago

I ask this question after reading a reply that Russell made in another post. He said something about how the AVs he bought from the Violet Barn look nothing like the pics. He also said that "When you get it to look as good as it does in the picture, you've arrived!" So I'm left thinking (and please correct me Russel if I misinterpreted you,) since I am just a newbie and nowhere close to "arriving" it would be nearly impossible for me to make an AV look like the ones in the pics...which is of course my goal. I kind of feel now that I would need to go to lots of seminars or read TONS of books to learn how to grow one like that. I feel that I would have to be an AV pro to have a nice symmetrical AV like the ones I see in show pics. After reading all the descriptions of the AVs on Violet Barn, I thought: Yes! I can do this! Especially with ones touted to be "bred to shape nicely and bloom continously". Now I know that the growing of any plant requires care and to grow one nicely requires very specific care. I am willing to do all of that, but will I need a PhD in AVology to grow an AV like the ones in the pics? Am I wrong to believe the advertisements seen on the Violet Barn and other such sites?

Another question that kind of goes with this is: To grow those "Best In Show" AVs I drool over, which do you think is more important: AV knowhow or AV variety? I am sure that it is the combination of BOTH that really gives a person a "Best in Show" AV, but I was wondering -- could a newbie like me with basic AV knowhow still grow a REALLY nice looking AV given the right variety? (If so, what varieties are they?!) Could a person with excellent AV knowhow take a Walmart AV and turn it into a champion?

PS: I spoke about have basic AV knowhow. In case you are wondering what that includes, here is what I mean by basic knowledge and care: All my AVs are grown under a 4 foot shoplight with 2 40W cool white bulbs. Standards are 12 inches from the light, minis and semis are 4-6 inches. Lights are on a timer for 11 hours. All plants are watered ONLY from the bottom. Minis and semis are in Oyama planters. Standards in saucers that I fill and drain after 20 minutes. I water with room temp water that has sit out for a day to dechlorinate. I always add "AV" fertilizer 7-7-7 as directed on bottle. I will start alternating with a different fertilizer soon. I remove all suckers when sited and remove all spent blooms as soon as they start to fade. Any other tips?

Comments (14)