SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_maiden

Just a personal observation FL vs. TL washer

the.maiden
8 years ago

I recently had to fix my washer (13 yr old TL). It worked, but how I discovered it wasn't running correctly, I washed my bathroom rug, and when I went to put it in the dryer, it smelled of urine (it didn't smell like that when I put it in the washer!). I had to change my agitator dogs, a very easy and inexpensive repair. Since then, I have been scouring the net, looking for a current reliable washer. Keep in mind, I have never used a FL. I am willing to learn, but, would like to keep my washer going as long as I can, as a $1200 purchase requires some time to save for. After I fixed my washer, I rewashed my rug, and it came out great.

I was just recently helping a friend pack for a move. She was washing oodles of clothing for the family, and had a FL. I did help, she told me how to run the washer, and I started a load for her. I mostly did folding and packing. One load she had done prior to my arrival, I folded, and I noticed a certain blanket that I was folding smelled exactly like the rug I had washed when my washer was broken. They have a baby, so that explains where the smell originated from. I was curious if this is the best a FL can do, I don't think I want one. I also noticed an almost overpowering smell from the detergent. I don't have that with my washer. I read somewhere that if you can smell the detergent, your washer isn't rinsing the clothes very well, and they aren't as clean as they should be.

She had said she washes everything in cold water, heavy wash, and uses either pods or liquid detergent. While I have a washer that uses a lot of water, has dual action agitator, and I use powder detergent and warm or hot water. I understand that can have an effect on how clean your laundry gets.

Anyone have any thoughts on the issue? Is there truely an argument for the old dinosaur machines compared to the fancy front-loaders? Or is this just a fluke, something not to even consider?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!