SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjbwfg

Can't locate the power source

I live in a home that was built by Howard Van Doren Shaw in 1908. Of course, then, there was no electricity, i presume. So, although there have been numerous internal updates to the home, the exterior could not be changed for historical reasons.

The previous owners were all wealthy - so when remodeling, cost was no object. Somewhere along the way there was "night lights" added to the baseboard in every bathroom - and - usually, before the incline or decline of a staircase. There are 24 of them throughout the house.

I removed each faceplate - and found that some of the 4 watt bulbs were, in fact, blown - but others seemed just fine. Which leads me to believe that they were operational sometime in the recent past.

The house, including the finished basement and 12 car underground garage, measures 16,000 sq ft. There are myriad wires - four boilers, etc, etc..

You might ask, why not just hire an electrician? I could, of course, but he/she is going to use a tool or device to find the power source. I heard that there is a device that makes a sound or beep - when attached to the wires of said outlets, tracing back to the source. So, this is more a mystery hunt event than a "hire someone" ordeal. Call it principal, yet I am genuinely curious to know how to find the power source - I suspect it is a timer, as well, as these are night lights, perhaps even a light sensor (remote possibility).

I'd love for the mood lighting effect of these baseboard night lights to be present in the house.

Ok, there is the problem. I'd be ever grateful for answers or suggestions.

Thanks so much.

Paul

Comments (12)