SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vlk20

Success! We sold our historic home w/o a realtor.

JRK
9 years ago

And I think that one thing saved our sanity, and that was a website. I made a website with the history of our home, photos when we first bought it 30 years ago, and photos of what it looks like now. LOTS of photos, indoors and out. A list of all improvements and renovations. People saw our sign in the yard and immediately wanted a house tour. :( After the first couple of "oh I love historic homes/ I've passed by this house for ___ years and always wondered what it looked like inside/etc." we never made an appointment on first contact. We would describe the house, give the (slightly inflated price), and give the website address. Then we would tell the person to call back for an appointment if they were truly interested in purchasing. After 3 months, 40+ calls, and a dozen appointments (four serious), we got our buyer.

I wouldn't recommend this for everyone, but my husband and I were home all day to show the property at a day's notice and we did know more about the house than any realtor ever could have (this, we think, was very important to the type of person who would want to take on the house and land). It worked well for us, and we feel very lucky.

Just thought I'd mention this, especially since it seems as though the website did a lot to satisfy the curiosity-seekers without actually having them traipsing through our home.

Comments (10)