SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minniemousem

Selling our home -- seeking advice

Minnie Mouse
9 years ago

Hi, we are selling our home and seeking advice. We have several questions.

1. We told a realtor we would use her but she was a friend of a friend. When we looked at her website, we saw that her photos and listings were terrible. We do not want to go with her. She also said our home was worth less than the going rate of homes a block away -- 100 per foot versus the going rate of 115 a foot for homes in similar size, condition, and lot size a block away. In our case, that makes a difference of almost $40,000. She said 1% commission for selling, but only if we agree to buy with her as well. Otherwise, 3%.

2. We interviewed a second realtor who wants 2% commission for selling, with no conditions. Professional, knows the neighborhood, sells fast, and said 115 per foot (which is what my own research told me). Two other homes in our hood are listed for $130 a foot, but this realtor said those were not priced right and would linger --- sure enough, they are lingering. His photos and marketing are top notch, but the commission for selling with him would be $8,000 -- which seems like a lot when most houses in our hood are selling even before they hit MLS.

3. We are thinking of just listing on MLS ourselves, paying buyer's agents, and hiring a professional photographer and virtual tour company. Our market is very hot right now.

4. Please just tell me the name of a beige color that this forum recommends for neutral paint.

5. We are going to hire and inspector a pre-inspection. We had bids for repairs of our home and so far the only one that came -- for painting three secondary bedrooms and one bathroom, making 2 minor sheetrock repairs (the size of a quarter from doorknobs banging into a wall) and putting the garage door on its track came in at over $3,000. Those bidders also let our precious dogs out by not closing the gate.

6. Our real estate market is incredibly hot right now -- it's typical for home to go pending in less than a week with multiple offers.

So, what do you think? How can I graciously fire the first realtor and either list this myself or hire the second realtor? My husband is an attorney, but not a real estate lawyer. We think we can hire a real estate attorney for no more than $1000 to represent us, way less than $8K.

Thank you.

Comments (24)