SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer2413

Last minute bathroom design crisis. Please help.

jennifer2413
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi. We are doing a top to bottom reno of a 1910 Foursquare and I am having a hard time nailing down the tile choices for the master bath. The vibe is vintage elegance -- an original clawfoot tub and (I thought) this Pottery Barn vanity with a carrera top. Chrome sconces with little white shades, and I was thinking SW sea salt walls.

Our contractor can get carrera marble at very good prices, so I had planned on 12 by 18 in the shower, with this matching hex floor. Pretty simple and straightforward.

However, while searching for some sort of accent/feature to just add a little oomph to the shower, (a decorator friend suggested a band of hex in the shower, but for some reason I don't love hex tile on walls/niches) my plans have all been thrown into disarray.

First because I've fallen in love with the Danse Lucido tile, which is made with Calacatta, not Carrera. It's a bit above our planned budget, but I could probably swing a framed inset of it in the shower as a splurge. Do I rethink the entire bathroom to be able to do that? I would probably pair it with glass or ceramic subway, and then a calacatta floor, although I have no idea what shape. Could I keep the same vanity with a carrera top or would I have to search all over again? (My instinct is that the Danse Lucido inset would pair best with cream, not white, which means the vanity might be out -- does anyone even make ivory vanities that aren't custom?) It might just be too late to try to incorporate it.

My second thought is that I really really love arabesque tiles -- in ceramic, marble and glass. Was thinking maybe I could keep the 12 by 18 carrera marble shower with one accent wall of glass (or ceramic? or marble?) arabesque, and switch the carrera hex floor to a carrera arabesque floor. My thought was if there's arabesque in the shower, it would be too much going on to have a hex floor. Has anyone done anything similar they can show me? I'm particular interested in seeing arabesque floors, which don't seem to be done that often.

Contractor is saying he needs a decision tomorrow and I'm sweating. The easy answer is to just stay with our original (boring?) plan. Any input? Thanks so much!

Comments (26)