SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_870583

Best Conifers/Design Ideas for Full Sun, Wet Clay Soil in pH of 7.8

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on redesigning a space for a commercial space here in Eastern Iowa. We've maintained this small landscape for several years (we did not originally install it) and they are at the point where they are ready to renovate the entire area and enlarge it.

The problem is that we've watched almost all of the original plantings slowly die from the extremely wet conditions year-round. The only time the soil has ever been nice to work in is was during the drought of 2012- in the driest period in 50 years you could actually put your shovel in the ground without hearing that odd sound heavy, wet clay makes when trying to work with it. Dwarf Norway Spruce were planted throughout and have all died.

My question is this- are we better off trying to make a series of raised beds throughout the area or to ammend it slightly by adding good black topsoil and just planting it with wet-tolerant plantings? Originally we had thought about excavating 18" of the heavy soil out and replacing it with sandy loam soil but I realize this would create the additional problem of having a hard pan 18" down where the water will still tend to sit on and stay in the beds when it is wet (and I don't think they will go for that in their budget).

So if we create raised beds are most spruces fair game? Any pines? Or would you stick to cultivars of Arborvitae? How tall do the raised beds need to be? Any other great plants that you've seen tolerate heavy soil very well and look great? We still get a minimum temperature around -25 F fairly commonly and the pH of the soil is slightly elevated. Exposure is a very hot western exposure where the sun beats off of the dark brick colors on the building. I realize there are similar discussions but wanted to see if there were any ideas I was missing.

Thanks,

Bruce

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida