SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minisoda

Annoying

Mini Soda
9 years ago

Stopped in the appliance store that our builder likes to use over the weekend. We originally had a $16k allowance for appliances are are trying to pull that back to around $12k to get our house closer to budget. One of the things we'll probably have to give up is a counter depth fridge with matching front panel. The plan currently has 42" spec'd out for the fridge.

We found a nice Frigidaire counter depth fridge/freezer pair that was a huge savings over the 8-10k Viking/Thermador/etc.

I asked the sales guy what the major difference is that drives the price up. He said that the Frigidaire is more of a residential unit that will last 5-7 years vs. 20-25 years. I found that incredibly annoying. We are clearly shopping for a RESIDENTIAL fridge and his statement that the $4k bridge will only last 5-7 years is almost insulting. We have a cheap fridge in our basement for overflow that's probably over 30 years old and humming along just fine.

With $5k to spend on the fridge, any guidance on how to get the most bang for our buck?

I'm also looking closely at some of the online shops to get within our budget. The builder didn't think we'd save much, but seems to me like we could get a much better $12k package by shopping around and getting creative.

Comments (22)