Extremely annoyed - debit card was compromised today
4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (51)
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoKathsgrdn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
I want to quit credit cards!
Comments (35)Tricia It was my understanding the opt out stops anyone from taking a look see at your credit to know how much credit they will offer when sending a credit card offer?? As far as anyone you already have a relationship with I just called the few we got and ask to be put on their opt out list. I even opted out of our own bank, credit union and savings institutions. The only thing I get is statements and notices when a CD is coming due. We didnt get any junk mail for years until a few months ago. I will be turning 65 this year and am now getting 8 to10 offers a week from every insurance company in the world. At first I was calling and asking them to please take me off the mailing list but now have just given up and shred everything. I would like to know how I got on these lists but havent found an answer yet. SS and Medicare both say they do not share any information. I am even getting this junk addressed to me at my dads address. Very frustrating for him. We dont have home mail delivery so even my post master if upset that he cant get all my mail in my P.O. Box. I told him to just send it back but of course he cant. As far a credit scores I will never understand how that works. About 12 or so years ago our accountant ask me how many credit card I had in my wallet. We got to figuring it out and came up with an obscene amount of available credit. I had cards for way to many department stores that I never used. I had had them for years so the limits were high. I closed everything but the one credit card that was tied to our checking account and the debit card for the same account. I had our bank set out credit limit at ten thousand so it never goes any higher. I pay it off every month. I also had them set the limit on our debit card higher so each of us has a thousand dollar a day limit. When DH ordered me a new car a few years ago he was told we have the highest credit score the dealership had ever seen and mine was 2 points higher that his. I havent worked in over 20 years so how does that happen? I check our accounts every morning as soon as I get on the computer and pay the credit card from the checking account as soon as the cycle ends. We have one of those very old gold accounts so we dont have any fees or pay for anything including cashiers check and travelers checks. The manager at the bank told me to never close it. I pay all our bills on line and never have had a problem. So my next question is should I keep the checking account statements or just shred them? Claudia...See MoreFrozen Credit Card in Florida
Comments (20)Oakley: Was it a debit card? I wonder if debit cards have tighter rules. But then again, my ATM won't dispense more than a few hundred at a time. I'm sure the bank would say they don't want big spenders emptying them out and keeping other patrons from getting money. BLFenton: I get your point about building a credit record. But people can -- and do -- overdraft their accounts. Some people are responsible using them; others try to game the system. Banks have built-in mechanisms that allow them to permit the overdraft and then charge the user high fees to cover it. Some users don't even notice the charge part in their card agreement. (How can they not know they don't have enough funds to cover a purchase? One situation: similar to writing a check and thinking the bank has deposited your paycheck already when really it's on hold and hasn't 100% cleared.) Bank of America, not too long ago, settled a case about debit-card overdraft fees for $400million. Card issuers need to make money somehow on these debit cards, which are typically given to you for free with your bank account. Credit-card issuers, at least, can charge an annual fee. That's why Bank of America tried to start that $5 debit card fee....See MoreSuspicious Purchase on Credit Card
Comments (45)It happened to DW with our Debit credit card. We bank on line and pay 95% of our bills using on line banking. She notice a $20.00 purchase that we didn't make and notified the bank. The bank representitave told her that it was a good thing that we don't leave money in our checking account and that our over draft was maxed (Thanks to remodeling) They tried to make large pruchases from on line sites like Target, QVC, JC Penney's and Best Buy. Had we not picked up on this when we did they could have cleaned us out because the next day both our pay checks would have been directly deposited into the checking account. The bank credited our account $20 that day. Since then we now have our pay checks deposited into the saving account and tranfer it to checking as we need it. The odd thing about this is that we never use this account for online shopping. I think you stand bigger chance of fraud when using the credit card in a store rather then on line. DW set up our account so that we are alerted to any purchase made over $15. The alert message goes directly to her Blackberry so no matter where we are we are protected....See Morei'm extremely annoyed with cabinet maker
Comments (28)thanks for all the feedback. i'm thinking EXACTLY as gobruno suggests in that he is not at all used to having so much input from a homeowner. this was the case when we did our first house. i remember making an appointment to interview a kitchen designer and he asked the dimensions of the kitchen. when he arrived he had plans all drawn up and ready to go. i was perplexed to say the least. he spec'd a suite of kitchen aid appliances and was going to stain the wood maple. when i told him *I* was going to select the appliances and the wood species/stain/paint he looked at me and said, "ohhhhh... you're one of the FANCY people!" dh will never let me forget that. i did get an email back from cabinet maker today explaining WHY he hadn't followed the drawings exactly (he thought i would lose counter space with so many uppers being pulled down to the counter, etc...) but i assured him i KNOW what i want and need. he'll re draw and frankly he can revise until he's blue in the face. i'll see how he does but in the meantime i have some contacts i'll look into when we get back home. the guys are roofing this week and it will take a couple of weeks so we have the luxury of time. i also have very detailed drawings of exactly what i want which will make it very easy to come up with close estimates. i'll keep you posted. thanks again for all your wisdom, suggestions and patience. i'm making notes of all the vendors mentioned and will be sure to give them a call....See More- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoKathsgrdn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoKathsgrdn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years agoKathsgrdn thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDES7 Tips to Sell Your Home Faster to a Younger Buyer
Draw today's home buyers by appealing to their tastes, with these guidelines from an expert decorator
Full Story
LIFETips for Moving Into a Smaller Space
Downsize with less compromise: Celebrate the positive, pare down thoughtfully and get the most from your new home
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ14 Things You Need to Start Doing Now for Your Spouse’s Sake
You have no idea how annoying your habits at home can be. We’re here to tell you
Full Story
BATHROOM WORKBOOK7 Key Things to Establish When Planning a Master Bathroom
If a new en suite bathroom is in the cards, read this expert’s guide to working with the space you have
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBulletproof Decorating: Upholstery That Stands Up to Anything
Kids and pets are no match for fabrics as durable as these, which meet higher style standards than ever
Full Story
ORGANIZINGDo It for the Kids! A Few Routines Help a Home Run More Smoothly
Not a Naturally Organized person? These tips can help you tackle the onslaught of papers, meals, laundry — and even help you find your keys
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNOpen vs. Closed Kitchens — Which Style Works Best for You?
Get the kitchen layout that's right for you with this advice from 3 experts
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN5 Common Bathroom Design Mistakes to Avoid
Dodge blunders in toilet placement, shower type and more, and see examples of how to get your bathroom right
Full Story
COMMUNITYTogetherness Take 2: Is a Cohousing Community for You?
Missing that sense of connection? Consider the new breed of neighborhood with a communal bent
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN8 Kitchen Sink Materials to Consider
Learn the pros and cons of these common choices for kitchen sinks
Full Story
sleeperblues