SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna29_gw

Do I have a right to be annoyed by neighbor's bass?

anna29
17 years ago

My husband and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in a highrise building. Our bedroom shares a wall with a studio apartment. A new tenant recently moved in, and since then anytime he is home he plays music that is very bass-heavy. He also seems to have his television set up to play through his stereo speakers, so we can hear the loud vibrations from that, too. In the evenings I don't really mind moving to the living room or elsewhere in the apartment for a couple of hours. And, to his credit, he does not play his music or television very loud or very late. His other typical living noises don't really bother me at all, but the bass is surprisingly strong.

This became more of a problem when he and his girlfriend came home a little after 2 a.m. this morning. This is the first weekend he's been in the apartment, and I was first woken up by some banging and loud laughter. Although I was annoyed, I probably would have just been able to go back to sleep after this, but then he turned on some music. Even though our bed is placed against the wall opposite the shared wall, when my head was on my pillow the bass was even stronger. I suspect he has his speakers and/or a subwoofer on the floor.

Normally, I would just make a point to run into him in the hallway and after some friendly small talk (how does he like the building, etc.), I would casually mention the strong bass and suggest keeping his speakers off the floor, getting carpet (our building does require 80% of the wood floors to be covered), and such.

But I find myself in a dilemma because I am pregnant and will be having the baby in about five weeks, and babies can be real noise makers! The baby's bedroom does not share any walls with other apartments (except floor and ceiling), and we've made an effort to place as much noise-absorbing materials in both the baby's and our bedrooms. But the fact is, the baby is going to cry and even though we will do our best to keep from disturbing our neighbors, I'm sure there will be times when there isn't much we can do.

So am I being a hypocrite by being bothered by my new neighbor's bass? Would it be wrong of me to ask him to attempt to muffle the bass more? I really appreciate hearing anyone's opinions and/or suggestions...

Comments (33)

Sponsored