SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Another AeroPress Coffee Question

chas045
9 years ago

I follow and contribute to coffee threads. I have used most types of coffee makers and had a couple of occasions to use an AeroPress at other houses. I was not comparing methods in either of those occasions. I followed the recent thread involving AeroPress and just stumbled upon a complete new 4 cup model at a second hand store. It jumped into my basket.

Well: I can't say I am very impressed, heh heh. We grind our commercial (usually dark roast) beans with a burr grinder and have settled on the Melitta approach which is essentially like the Kemix (or even a Mr. Coffee, but without hand control of the pour). My normal Melitta approach for reasonably strong regular coffee, is two 30ml/one eighth cup scoops of beans for 10 or 11 oz of coffee. I see that AeroPress instructions are essentially 3 30ml scoops for that diluted volume of American coffee (a double espresso worth).

I initially tried our bean dose, pressing one aeropress volume and then diluting up to a 11 oz cup, and found the coffee to be bland and perhaps one half strength. I have tried a few more approaches and realize that I may be pressing a little fast, but since I initially waited longer than the recomended 10 seconds. I decreased final volume under 8 oz and sometimes increased the initial volume, but all approaches indicate the basic approach leaves half the flavor behind. I understand that part of the concept is to create a less acidic, and perhaps bitter brew, but this seems beyond reasonable.

Thoughts?

Comments (3)