SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
usalli

building a simple modern farm house on a budget

usalli
9 years ago

I am planning to build a simple modern looking farmhouse on a 10 acre land. My land is on a downhill with a small pond (about 6-7 acres) view and mountain lines on the horizon. I'll be leaving there alone along with my two kids visiting me on the weekends (going through a divorce). My dream was to have a small farm, grow my own vegetables, chickens etc. I'd like to make my own wine, cheese, bread... A three bedroom house (1500-1800 sqf) with a kitchen/eating/living room (open space, in the same area), jack and jill bathroom for kids room are basics. Garage can be detached if it is going to cost less. In our region (Hershey, PA; all the houses have basements, so builders just love putting basements). Must haves: a geothermal heat pump, hide-a-hose central vacuum, a corner wood burning pizza oven (Forno Bravo-like), a high (possibly cathedral) ceiling in kitchen/eating area maybe including living room with skylights and windows, possibly wood floor in main areas.

I don't know where to start. I talked to a builder and checked their many plans but they all look alike and they don't want to make many changes. Only problem is that I have to fit everything on a limited budget. The land is $165K, development including pavement, water well, geothermal, septic tank, storm water etc will probably cost another $40K so it leaves me to $150 to finish a three bedroom home that will have all the above. What would you suggest? Things I can do without are attached garage, extra rooms, walking closets for the two bedrooms etc. Thanks for your help.

Comments (31)