SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnsjoblom86

Building a house on a budget

quinnsjoblom86
4 years ago

Recently we've come across an opportunity to do something about our situation. Right now I pay 800 in rent for my family of 3 in an apartment and my mother pays 825 for her apartment. Rent is on the rise and soon we will both be paying 900. I want to build a budget house for all of us. My mom needs about 650ft of space and my family needs about 1000ft, also we really need a garage. Some might say it would be easiest to buy a house, but finding what we need would be difficult. My mom needs her own space with her own kitchen. Another thing is, I have 15 years interior construction experience and my day job is a cabinet maker. I can build all of our cabinets for just the cost of material. I would also do the flooring, trim, maybe a few other things. Problem is, banks aren't gonna give me credit for my free labor when budgeting out this build. We would do a construction to permanent loan and have about 60k cash to work with. I figure we could handle about 250k budget with 20% down. The other 10k is needed for separate costs like closing, as well as getting to the point of having house plans to submit to bank. I already have my eye on an upward sloping lot for 45k. Has community water, and septic is already installed, driveway is roughed in. For a budget build with the spaces we need, im thinking walkout basement for moms space with garage on that level, then the main level for us. After buying the lot and figuring in 5% contingency cost, we would have about 195k to build this house. I would save a lot by doing my own cabinets as well as flooring, trim, possibly build exterior doors, couple other things, but as I said, it's hard to bring down initial budget since the bank can't really be guaranteed I'll complete these things myself.
I have a ton of questions about this whole process, but for starters does my budget sound possible? This is not gonna be a fancy house. As simple of layout as covenants will allow, probably cadet heaters, cheap laminate flooring, everything on a budget. Can it be built for 195k?

Comments (46)