SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilyzl

Is a modest 5+ BR budget build possible?

Emily L
3 years ago

Hi all! I am a newbie. The TL;DR version is: Have you built, or have you seen, a cost-efficient rectangular floor plan for a modest 2 or 2.5 story house with 5+ bedrooms?

My husband and I are in the super early stages of considering whether we could build a house. If we did, it would be to get out to some rural land. We currently have 6 kids (with perhaps more to come) in a 2430 sqft house with 4 BR and 2.5 baths. Since the second floor of our current house is only about 900 sqft and manages to fit all 4 (modest) bedrooms and 2 full baths, I've always assumed if we had a bit more space (perhaps 2600-2800 sq ft total), used efficiently, we could fit another small bedroom or two.

Here are some "cost effective design tips" I have seen repeatedly:

-Rectangular or square floor plan with four 90 degree corners and no bump-outs

-simple gable roof at 8/12 pitch or less

-build up not out, with an equal-sized second floor (and perhaps even a finished structurally sound attic/loft?) being cheaper than additional roof and foundation space

-stack all water use and plumbing in the same quadrant rather than placing baths and laundry all over

-no large open spans without any walls or columns, requiring expensive beams to support

-kitchens and baths being the most expensive, while bedrooms being comparatively cheaper requiring mostly just framing, drywall, paint, carpet etc instead of expensive tile, cabinets, etc.

From what I've seen, I know there are lots of other people out there looking to minimize their "shell" cost and eliminate wasted space and save money that way, if possible. In my extreme naivete, I knew there would be lots of "dream house plans" out there in the big plan mills with tons of crazy roof peaks, but I also figured there would be a whole section of plans geared solely toward the "budget builder" who wanted all of the above in a tight, rectangular package. I did assume that most people wouldn't need so many small bedrooms, but I assumed lots of plans would group their plumbing in one general stacked area. As for the bedrooms, it's nearly impossible to find any plans anywhere with 5-6 bedrooms (or 5 plus office etc) that don't also have the same number of bathrooms and are the size of a mansion. If you've seen any, please let me know.

So I guess my question is, have any you built any modest 2-story house that you are very proud of for being cost-effective in terms of shell design? Or have you seen any? I know (hope?) there must be people out there who have done a great job with "budget-friendly design" and are proud to show it off.

Comments (24)