SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20167223

What do you think of this plan for a sloped/view lot (modest budget)?

User
9 years ago

First, thank you to all of you that posted on my two story great room question. I still love the look of it, but I don't know that it's practical for me, plus a gut check on that particular floorplan says that it's just too big. I came across this plan today, that I think may "fit the bill" as a starting place to go to an architect/drafter, with some tweaks to the kitchen layout and facade. What do you think of it (link below)?
http://houseplans.bhg.com/plan_details.asp?PlanNum=7759#Plan-Specifications

Background:

We're wanting to build a 4 bedroom (plus one in the walkout basement) house, 2 or 3 stall garage, preferably with first floor master, that meets the following:

1. Is as shallow as possible due to the slope

2. Isn't bigger than it needs to be to keep cost down (don't need "formal" living/dining rooms)

3. Has a relatively simple shape, also to keep the cost down

4. Still has some curb appeal, and opportunities to add large windows in the back for the "wow factor" of the view (woods, private pond)

5. If possible, we'd like to keep the existing horse barn and the 5 old-growth (but healthy) oaks near it (we'd have to remove 2-4 of them if we built near where the barn sits now.

6. Would love (not need) one of the second floor bedrooms to have an ensuite (one daughter with two brothers, may save all of our sanity, although I know this is a major indulgence).

A picture of the lot is attached. The contour lines are each 2 ft of elevation. The setback is 40 ft from the lot line (approximated by the thick red line), which is a killer when it comes to deeper floor plans and modest budget.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you!

Comments (3)