SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrtea1

Critique my floor plan - small, budget house with a view!

lil
9 years ago

So the house is to go on a sloping piece of land which has a fantastic view out across the valley and hills. See the link at the bottom of this post for side view of house. It will be constructed of local timber, as there are few alternatives in this area, with a corrugated iron roof. So basically the requirements are:

1. Small, simple, relatively easy to build house (3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, no garage)
2. Needs to take maximum advantage of the views.
3. Keep construction / material costs to a minimum.

I've come up with the following draft plan. The dining/living area will basically be surrounded surrounded by continuous glass windows/doors for uninterrupted exposure to the views. I can't help but feel the bedrooms 2 and 3 waste a lot of the viewing space though, but I can't see where else I can put them.
I am stumped for other ways that this house could potentially be configured. I presume by having it roughly in a box shape I will be keeping my costs to a minimum.

Do you like this design?
Can you suggest any other layouts I should perhaps consider? Even totally different ones! I don't mind pushing up the costs a little if it means a much more advantageous layout in terms of the view.
Any cost or space saving suggestions?

Any other comments of suggestions are welcome! This is my first time building a house!

EDIT:
I've redrawn the floor plan so it's easier to read.
A few more important details I've neglected:-
- Floor will be made entirely from timber - concrete is prohibitively expensive here
- Closet space will be stand alone closets in each room
- Laundry will consist of a washing machine outside the house near the back door, possibly under the house

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by mrtea on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 17:22

Comments (23)