SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belfastbound

Why would nosey realtor say these things?

belfastbound
9 years ago

It is clear my house lacks a wow factor. I over de-cluttered and what was left behind isn't exactly a page out of BHG. But my neighbor came on the market today and did the same thing so I wonder if buyer's expect this look now.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3189927938-87-Old-Forge-Rd-Scituate-MA-02066#photo-11

I post this picture of the listing because their realtor had visited our home last summer to check us out as a comp to this client as she helped them prepare to come to market. She advised me to do the following:

Swap out the brass hinges and door knobs on all doors (which she chose to put front and center in the link, so what the heck?)

Swap out the brass handles on my one pair of Andersen casement windows

Reapply plaster to all ceilings to smooth it out rather than the textured pattern I had

Put in crown molding everywhere

The third floor stairway to attic was a big problem

Yes, wallpaper in the dining room, I know, I know...

Oak was a turn off, (ok, ok, I get it now)

I felt totally dejected. She then went on to be the only realtor to show my house to two clients.

What do you think was her motivation?

Why would she say in my neighbor's listing "sellers have identified other house" Isn't that showing your cards when you don't have to? When is this a good strategy?

Thanks again to all with me on this journey.

BTW is this 1963 house my absolute comp because it is in my neighborhood? Can I not get a few % points for being 25 years younger and more square feet?

Comments (21)