SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mostone_gw

Why would realtors try to misrepresent the market?

mostone
16 years ago

This is an honest question - I'm not trying to denigrate realtors here. As background, we bought a home at the Jersey shore in early 2006. We sold our previous shore house in late 2005 - a 1031B exchange. Anyway, we anticipated our purchase for quite a while and had narrowed our desired area to a very specific few towns. I would say that I've been pretty obsessively following this market for close to three years. To say it has tanked would be putting it mildly. For example one house we looked at started at $649,000. I suppose in 2005 it might have been a fair price. After being on the market for over 1 1/2 years it just closed at $532,000. Another that had been listed at approx 600K just sold for 499K. These were not anomalies - they were pretty typical. I have also noticed that the mix of homes sold has skewed way higher. For whatever reason, many more multi-million dollar homes are selling (as a percentage of homes sold.) This has allowed the realtors to claim that prices on the island have increased 6 - 7% over the previous year. It very well may be true that the median price of homes sold is 6 - 7% higher, but comparing like to like, prices are off 10 - 20%. (Maybe more if there are concessions being made that wouldn't show up in the final close price.) My question is, why misrepresent the market? Who does it benefit? Why would realtors tout this misinformation on their web sites? If I hear realtors complain that their sellers have unrealistic expectations, wouldn't they be better off explaining the reality to people?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz