SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Why would realtor keep listings off Zillow and Trulia?

weedyacres
8 years ago

I made a trip this weekend to our out of state SFH. Renters just moved out and we're selling it (tried unsuccessfully 2 years ago, re-rented, ready to have another go).

I met with 3 realtors. I selected them by browsing listings and finding those with excellent photos and write-ups. Screened by looking at stats to make sure they were selling decently and weren't part-timers or "a few a year" agents. Invited them to pitch me, and bring comps.

The one I liked the best had lots of specific do/don't do advice on fixes/touch-ups. And she persuaded me most effectively on the comps and pricing. So I'm poised and ready to hire her next week after some replacement carpet goes in.

Then I found out, from one of the other agents, that her agency doesn't list on zillow or trulia. I said, "you mean they don't do enhanced/featured?" He said, "no, they don't list there at all." To be honest I didn't believe him, and figured it was realtor back-stabbing. I mean, every agent I've ever met with hands me a list of the 94 different online places they're listed to show they have marketing reach. I take most of those with a grain of salt, but the biggies (realtor.com, zillow, trulia) are high-traffic sites that many many buyers use, so you need to at least hit those.

So I go home, read through her marketing propaganda book, and see no list of 94 online places she lists. So I go online. Guess what: no listings on zillow. I found another agent from that broker. No listings on zillow. This is one of the two large brokerages in the city. Why the heck would they withold their listings from zillow? I didn't even know that was possible. I thought the MLS fed all its listings there.

I will call her tomorrow to ask why. Can any of you enlighten me as to any good reason to do this? Or the inner workings of zillow that would make this a good business decision? For me, someone who would leave my listing off one of the most used aggregating sites limits my marketing, and it's a deal killer for me.

Comments (36)