SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

How to choose listing realtor in a sellers' market?

LE
8 years ago

Most of the stuff I read about selecting a realtor to list your house with seems to assume that the market is slow. Asking about average days on market and things like that. Things are pretty hot here and selling within a week for more than the asking price, so I'm wondering what I need to ask in interviews with that in mind.

All the listings I've seen in our neighborhood have professional photos and 90% are clearly staged. Who pays for that? Also, I don't want to do an open house and don't think it is necessary in this climate. Is that unreasonable? There is one realtor in the neighborhood whose signs I see on the houses that I'm attracted to, but I was recently informed that she's kind of a B----, for what that's worth. I'm not looking for a new best friend, and I'm not sure what to make of that. Even she doesn't have a lot of her own listings right now.

We are planning on listing in April or May, are busy doing the things we know we need to do, but will need some help doing triage on that list, since my DH is the guy who wants everything perfect, even though the house is 100 years old. He would be willing to do things that no normal person would even see, much less pay for.

We are retiring and would like to be out June 1, so should we list in April, but say we want to close June 1? Or wait til May to list? (I guess these are all things we need to ask the realtor, but first we need to pick one.)

So any advice specific to choosing a listing agent in a hot market? Or can you point me toward some good sources?

Comments (10)