SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cas66ragtop

What does number/value of listings say about a realtor?

cas66ragtop
12 years ago

I finally got around to interviewing 3 realtors and got prices all over the place. There is $100k difference between them all. That sure doesn't make me feel very good trusting a realtor's expertise in coming up with comps. It still feels like a big guessing game to me - doesn't seem accurate in the least bit.

The realtors I interviewed had 12 years, 22 years, and 26 years experience. Each one of them definitely seems to have a lot of experience. There are a handful of what I would call "really big" realtors around town - people whose names you hear quite often. I have never heard of any of these agents, if that matters.

The thing I thought was strange - all of them only have 8 to 10 listings, and most of their listings are priced way lower than my house. First of all, 8-10 listings seems really low to me. Does that suggest they are not exactly on top of their game? Shouldn't the best agents have a large number of listings? Also, with the majority of their listings way below mine, does that suggest they specialize in lower priced homes? Therefore they cater to lower income clients, and none of them will be interested in or qualify for my house? Does any of this really matter, or am I actually right to be concerned with this?

I would assume a lower number of listings could mean they have more time on their hands, so my listing will not be ignored. Plus if my listing is the highest priced, I guess that means they would work extra hard to get the bigger commission? I guess I don't have to worry about them being "listing collectors".

Comments (24)