SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_keil_cr

Since this Forum is starting over again

dan_keil_cr Keil
9 years ago

I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones. If you are a Member Of the American Rose Society, if you are a Consulting Rosarian, or a Master Rosarian.

Are you a member of a Local Rose Society? Are you an officer?

Comments (51)

• User
    9 years ago

...nothing so grand from me I'm afraid, and my zone/location isn't much use to most here...but I find we often grow the same types of roses...

...I do think there's a fair degree of snobbery in the rose world, especially over here, but I'd like to think I'm a rosarian with a very small 'r'....as would be anyone who loves and cultivates roses, as everyone does on this forum.....

... I'll leave the other 'R' to the Professionals....

...I hope that's alright Dan.... you sound like a very experienced person and with all those roses, your garden must be quite beautiful....

• hydrogrowerinpa
    9 years ago

Hi Dan,

I'm an ex-Penn State Master Gardener with 45 roses in four beds mixed mostly with forbs and a few woodies. I'm in USDA zone 5b at 900ft a.s.l. in East Stroudsburg, PA.

• Related Discussions

Should I start all over again?

Q

Comments (5)
    What I don't understand is receiving something other than than what you ordered and paid for, then keeping it. Sounds like false advertisement, an awful misunderstanding, or you didn't receive what you paid for. Maybe I missed something in there but wanted to point out the possibility you may still have recourse. I don't see having to fight the soil for the rest of forever. Incorporating organic matter is something you will have to do anyway, but how much amending will this soil need? If you can achieve the ideal concert of clay, sand, and silt, then why not do it now? Just till in what isn't already there. I think this is one instance I would recommend tilling because the soil is new as it is. Additionally, you get to kill two birds with one stone by turning over the crappy lawn rather than having to kill it off with chemicals. The answer to your question is yes.
    ...See More

Trying again to start over

Q

Comments (2)
    here it is Here is a link that might be useful: Winter sowing on Facebook
    ...See More

Starting all over again, need some Canna

Q

Comments (4)
    Glas, I saved quite a bit of seed. In fact, most of my canna were started from seed last year. I thought I'd germinate more this year, but I won't have any room for them if I do. If you'd like I can send you some seed for postage. Garrett.
    ...See More

Starting Over - Again!

Q

Comments (3)
    Since the basis for a good, healthy lawn is a good, healthy soil what are you doing besides apply some Alfalfa? Have you had a good, reliable soil test done so you know the soils pH as well as the levels of P, K, Ca, and Mg? Perhaps these simple soil tests might also be of some help. 1) Soil test for organic matter. From that soil sample put enough of the rest to make a 4 inch level in a clear 1 quart jar, with a tight fitting lid. Fill that jar with water and replace the lid, tightly. Shake the jar vigorously and then let it stand for 24 hours. Your soil will settle out according to soil particle size and weight. For example, a good loam will have about 1-3/4 inch (about 45%) of sand on the bottom. about 1 inch (about 25%) of silt next, about 1 inch (25%) of clay above that, and about 1/4 inch (about 5%) of organic matter on the top. 2) Drainage. Dig a hole 1 foot square and 1 foot deep and fill that with water. After that water drains away refill the hole with more water and time how long it takes that to drain away. Anything less than 2 hours and your soil drainsâ too quickly and needs more organic matter to slow that drainage down. Anything over 6 hours and the soil drains too slowly and needs lots of organic matter to speed it up. 3) Tilth. Take a handful of your slightly damp soil and squeeze it tightly. When the pressure is released the soil should hold together in that clump, but when poked with a finger that clump should fall apart. 4) Smell. What does your soil smell like? A pleasant, rich earthy odor? Putrid, offensive, repugnant odor? The more organic matter in your soil the more active the soil bacteria will be and the nicer your soil will smell. 5) Life. How many earthworms per shovel full were there? 5 or more indicates a pretty healthy soil. Fewer than 5, according to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, indicates a soil that is not healthy.
    ...See More
  • Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

A another rosarian with a 'r' here. I'm a bit of a quiet person who is much at peace in my garden. Takes a lot to get me in a group (of people). I have been growing roses for 20 years thou so I have acquired some experience and knowledge. That combined with GW and my computer I manage quite well.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

I'm in the woods and fields near the foothills of the mountains in NC, where it is still hot and humid but not like a swamp, either :)

I've been a gardener a long time now! Over 20 years, and I'm sure 15+ of heavy rose growing. I don't always treat them right, mind you :D So I can recognize lots of ways they die as well as how to make them work well!

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi everyone! I am glad to meet you all on this forum. Although I have grown roses for only 3 years, my obssession for roses has gotten worse every year. I am totally completely smitten! I have learned alot from the information, knowledge, and experience posted by experienced rose growers on here. Thank you so much for sharing! I have about 40 roses now and that number is about to change this spring!

I am from PA, zone 6, still a novice at growing roses.

• Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5
    9 years ago

Hi, I am from Traverse City, Mi, zone 5. I moved here last fall from mid-Michigan , zone 6. I had about 50 rose bushes in my old garden, but am starting from scratch here.
    I am a Master Gardener and love all kinds of flowers.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

I am in zone 7b (but right now it doesn't feel like it!) I live about 40 miles NE of Atlanta. I am a member of the Greater Gwinnett Rose Society and ARS. Right now I am the Secretary and Treasurer of my local Society and this year I am the Rose Show Chair. I am in the middle of almost a total redo of my yard after extensive construction necessitated me digging up many of my roses. But now I have room for more. I'm also hoping to become a Consulting Rosarian soon.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

This is a good idea, Dan, but it would also help a lot if everyone would put there location and zone in their screen name. It's easy to do by going to your Houzz and editing your profile. It's not your sign in name, you can't change that, but scroll down and it will say first name. You can enter what ever name you want people to see and that's where you can add your location and zone. It really is helpful in answering questions if we know where you live and what conditions you have.

I've been growing roses since some time in the 90s. After my Dad passed Mom needed help so I was taking care of her, the house and her rose garden. She learned from her Mom and passed it along to me. I've since inherited them and have expanded on what was left of her roses. When I was growing up she had well over a hundred roses but as she got older and it got harder for her to care for them that number dwindled to 12. I still have 6 of those in my garden.

Right now I have about 100 named varieties and 80 or so of my own seedlings. I had more but lost 67 to last winter. With the way things have been this winter I don't know what to expect to find this spring.

I'm on the board or two of the three area rose societies, the Grosse Pointe Rose Society and the Metropolitan Rose Society, and I am a member of the ARS. Many people have been twisting my arm to become a Consultant or a Judge but I don't think that's for me. I do occasionally present some of my own rose programs around the area to other groups. Which I enjoy because I love to talk roses, lol!

I live in a northeast suburb of Detroit on Lake St. Clair on a small subdivision lot. I have two main rose beds but nearly half my roses I grow in pots on my patio. Since I don't have a garage (and there are way too many to fit in a garage) they have to spend their winters outside in the cold. Right now I'm eagerly awaiting spring to see how they did!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Seil, I hope your roses winterized well and that we can see photographs of some of your seedlings. I am a second year rose grower with a little "g", LOL in zone 9b. I belong to the Santa Clarita, CA rose society, where in addition to the Gardenweb, I have learned much and I am still learning. I appreciate the many sharers here, both of knowledge and roses. The "newbies" are great too, because they ask questions I wish I would have asked.

Bonnie

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    9 years ago

Hey hey. Zone 9A Texan (which is at a chilly 38F at the moment). Been fascinated with roses and gardening for years, but my passion for the fragrant flowers didn't -aha- blossom until I read In Search of Lost Roses two years ago. After reading the book, I went to Antique Rose Emporium and got myself an Autumn Damask. Been looking for rare and remarkable roses since, but I won't turn my nose up for good H. Teas. *lol* Currently have 11 potted roses, eight are cuttings from Ms. Bluegirl, and nine in the ground. And yes, looking for more. :D
    From all my looking, there appears to be no local rose society, but there is a Master Gardener class I want to get into when the the time for signing up comes.

9 years ago

I agree this is a good thread, Dan. Enjoy reading the different turns people have taken once the rose bug hit

• smithdale1z8pnw
    9 years ago

I'm really enjoying reading this thread, good info. I have 53 roses on my city lot & am building an arch on the small walkway leading to the compost as I have run out of space to plant. I'm also having a trellis built to each side & in back of the compost so I can add 2 more. Perhaps I need a support group? I'm planning on throwing 2 Reve D'ors on the trellis & a cl Pinkie or Jasmina on the arch. It will be interesting to see if the roots find the compost, I'm hoping for lush roses. I garden in Port Angeles, WA.

Jane

• User
    9 years ago

It is so nice to have a forum with folks from cold hardy gardens. I have 36 rose plants. I listen to whyy's " you bet your garden". Mike McGrath. He is my guru. He gets people to compost and get them off round up and miracle grow. He often talks about wood/bark mulches are bad for roses. I just watched Symphony of Soil by Deborah Koons Garcia (Jerry Garcia's widow). Such a great movie. I also enjoy Paul Zimmerman videos "roses are plants, too". He says roses are nothing more than a flowering shrub. This forum is good for finding plants that work in your area. I am so excited to see Elaine Inghams soil compost work shop this summer.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I'm just a gardener with a fascination for the Rosa genus -- diversity, ancestry, fragrance, and history -- and how they can fit into my garden plan. I don't belong to any groups or societies, unless you count online fora. I'm originally from Queens and Long Island in NY, but am now living in Middlesex County in NJ.

Including what I have on-order for Spring, I have just under a hundred different individual cultivars, but a nice mix of classes:

8 Bourbons (1 more on-order for Spring)

5 Chinas (1 more on-order for Spring)

2 Damasks

7 David Austins

(2 Floribundas on-order for Spring)

5 Gallicas

1 Hybrid Bracteata

2 Hybrid Chinas

4 Hybrid Musks

10 Hybrid Perpetuals

15 Hybrid Teas (2 more on-order for Spring)

(1 Perpetual Moss on-order for Spring)

4 Repeat-Blooming Climbers

1 Miniature (3 more on-order for Spring)

3 Polyanthas (4 more on-order for Spring)

4 Portland Damasks (1 more on-order for Spring)

2 Ramblers

2 Species

2 Species-Hybrids

2 Teas (1 more on-order for Spring)

:-)

~Christopher

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Hi,

Great post! I grow mostly climbers and have around 20 roses sprinkled throughout the garden. I'm also on the search for hardy, repeat roses for Zone 5, IL gardeners, so I come to the Rose Forum to get inspired. Thanks for starting this post. P.S. Anyone know a good source for climbing miniature roses?

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

smithdale, Reve d'Or is a great rose. I think two on an arbor would be wonderful.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Christopher, your rose garden sounds wonderful. What an interesting and diverse collection of roses that you grow in your garden. Please post photos when they are in bloom.

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

Hi I'm just a shy girl from the south, no special qualities just a love of roses and flowers, bulbs, ect. I've been growing roses for 5-6 years but just really got into it the last 2 years. I got around 80 roses at the moment and like Christopher- I am growing a very diverse class of roses. I started off trying to grow a little of every class, then some I got really interested in, gallicas in particular and a few others, and so far so good, they like me as well. I have more roses on order, and some more I'm exchanging, but most of my roses are new so it slows down what I'm able to exchange. I just started trying to grow roses from seed, we will see how that goes. Thanks to bluegirl!! I'm also going to try grafting! I've found alot of helpful information on this forum, thanks to everyone who has helped me! I'm from Ashwood, South Carolina and grew up on a farm, my dad farmed land, my mom did chickens and we had goats, but not that many animals. My dad still grows a garden to put mine to shame, but right now I'm more into flowers than veggies. I still live in South Carolina, but now live in Bishopville, but on the Hartsville, Camden side, so I get more cold weather! I'm sure I got in just the right microclimate to be able to grow such a diverse class of roses! Well, I think that's enough about me, I'm in zone 8a.

9 years ago

Jane, May I join your support group. LOL

• onewheeler
    9 years ago

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Roses have been a passion of mine since the mid 90's. It took a few years for me to find out which type of roses to grow. The computer was a real teacher. Garden Web was one of the first places I came to when I got my computer. I am only a few hundred yards from the Atlantic so get lots of salt spray. All three of my last locations have been close to the water. My garden zone is 5 B. I moved to this location last summer so am hoping my transplanted roses will do well here. We didn't have any snow till Feb but it wasn't really cold either. Another couple of months before I will be able to judge how the roses got along through this winter, they are buried under several feet of snow right now. I have grown at least 500 different roses over the years. I work in a garden center now part time and have been called the rose expert! LOL Far from it, but I know more than the average person, which isn't much. I continue to try and learn more. I only grow hardy roses. Someday I would like to try my hand at growing a few tender roses in pots as I now I have garage I can keep them in. I have grown a few roses from seed, they have lasted a couple of years but the third year they died so I have yet to see one bloom.

Guess that is about all I can tell you. This is a fun thread, thanks for starting it. I enjoy reading about other people's experiences.

Valerie

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bellarosa,

Where in Illinois do you live. I'm in Decatur. I can help you!

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Hello, my name is Beth, and I'm a certified Rose-aholic! I live in Northern California, in the lower Sierra Nevada Mountains at 1715 elevation, Zone 9b. I have 1/3 acre, with more than half of it filled with various beds of (almost) 1800 roses, including hybrid teas, grandifloras, floribundas, English roses, old teas, climbers, shrubs, minis, minifloras, and a handful of Hulthemia hybrids. I do not spray for insects or disease, only due to not having the time to do so. On occasion I spray deer repellent, but haven't had the time, or the urgent need to do so for about 3yrs. If the deer get a few rose blooms once in awhile, I just have to let it go! As long as they don't eat the entire plant, I figure I've got enough roses not to have to obsess over that!! I get some powdery mildew in the early spring and fall, and black spot as well, and only very recently a tiny smattering of rust. Once the hot summer hits, tho it all pretty much goes away.

I've been collecting roses since about 1990ish. For the first 10yrs 90% were grown in pots, as we lived in a mobile home park, and I was not about to leave them behind when we finally could afford to buy a house. When we did move, I think I had over 800 roses at that point, with probably about 30% being minis. I have since lost many of the minis. In fact, I've probably lost about half as many roses as I have now. Just guessing. Unfortunately, our very hot summers caused a great deal of dieback, and total death to quite a few roses. And not checking the watering systems all the time has led to many a death. I strive to find the most unusual and hardest-to-get roses as a general rule, but have many common varieties. I go for color and form more than scent. I like to keep my roses in the garden so I can enjoy them out there. (my cats tend to eat them when they're brought inside) My very favorites are what I refer to as the "oddballs." Kim calls them "coffee-colored." But I lump the russets, browns, beiges, greys, greens and any other weird coloring or color combination into the oddball category. That is second only to the "stripey" category. And there are way more stripeys than oddballs!!

I used to belong to the Butte Rose Society based out of Chico,CA, way back when it was a small group. I was even Secretary for awhile. But haven't had the time to attend meetings or even shows in over 10yrs. I work two jobs, 6 days a week, plus help take care of my 96yr old mom on two of my 4days off per month. Not much time for much of anything! But I miss the old rose society outings and stuff we used to do. Spent many a trip to Sac to visit Fountain Square and Michael's Roses; go to rose shows and hang out with Baldo Villegas and other Rosarians.

I just love roses and am totally obsessed with them. It's awful the addiction I have. Well, you all pretty much know what that's all about. That's why we're here!!

• Mendocino Rose
    9 years ago

Zone 8 here in the Wild Willits Hills of Northern California. I don't belong to the ARS anymore but am a member of the Heritage Rose Foundation, the Heritage Roses Group, Heritage Roses Northwest(I have pals in Washington State) I am on the board of The Friends of Vintage Roses. I'm a little embarrassed to say how many roses I am growing. Besides the garden proper of 21/2 acres there is another acre of ramblers. I am attempting to have as complete a collection of this class as possible fostering the original Vintage Gardens rambler collection and the rambling roses of Anne Belovich. My garden is 19 years old.

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    9 years ago

Hi, I'm the second Beth around here. I have recently moved to North Texas, 8a, having left my former home and all my roses behind. I only had about 30 roses and they were all Earth Kind so didn't take much work.

Since moving here I've decided to explore my love of the minis and minifloras. Over my many years I've collected 50 or so pots and will eventually have them all filled. I am having to learn about how to take care of them because they are very different from the roses I've cared for before. I know I am asking a lot of questions about how best to care for them because container growing is new to me. I can no long get on the ground to work beds so will have to find someone to amend the black clay that is everywhere here before I can plant so for now containers only is what I'll have.

Previously I was a member of a rose society but am not where we live now. The local group meetings are 40 miles away and are at night. I no longer drive on highways at night if I can keep from it. I did call the local society with a list of questions but the person I talked to didn't approve of my spraying for BS and got off the phone soon after I started asking questions.

I am learning to root cuttings and hope sometime soon to be able to trade cuttings to expand my collection of roses. If someone decides to prune minis or minfloras and would be willing to send me some for postage money I'd appreciate it. Everything I have now is first year though.

Now that's probably more than you wanted to know. Please keep sharing information to my many questions.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

I though I'd share my list of roses by type:

• Alba/Noisette 1
    • Bourbon 2
    • China 4
    • Climber 4
    • Damask 3
    • Damask HP 1
    • Damask Portland Shrub 2
    • David Austins 21
    • Floribunda 9
    • Grandiflora 5
    • HT 25
    • Hybrid Eglanteria 2
    • Hybrid Multiflora 1
    • Hybrid Musk 2
    • Hybrid Perpetual 3
    • Mini-Flora 1
    • Miniature 4
    • Miniflora 2
    • Moss 3
    • Noisette 3
    • Polyantha 2
    • Shrub 7
    • Single 1
    • Species 1
    • Tea 13
    • Mystery Rose 1
    • Grand
      Total 123

Of these, 78 are in pots and need to be planted.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Great idea. Just adjusted my profile. Thank You.

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    9 years ago

Well, this is me. I live in Cornelia, GA., which is in the N.E. corner of GA. Right on the east face of the Smokie Mts. Zone 7 a/b. I'm a mewmber of the American Rose Society and the Greater Gwinnett Rose Society. I'm a "former" ARS horticulture and Arrangement Judge. I enjoyed judging rose shows but I enjoy exhibiting more. I moved from S.E FL. to my little piece of heaven back in late 2008 to retire and enjoy myself after 40+ years hanging, finishing and doing custom textures in drywall. I've enjoyed starting my rose garden from scratch and taking my good old time doing it. I should finish everything up this summer, TRYING to keep everything around 100/110 bush's of all types. I've been a member of the Garden Web (roses) since the early 1990's. I try to help where I can and and go by the old saying," Everyone has an opinion. I have mine, you have yours. I don't try to shove my opinion down your throat, you don't try to shove your opinion down my throat."

Here is a quick list of the roses that I will have in my garden by mid summer;

OGR's---8

Shrubs (mostly DA's)---8

Climbers---1

Florabunda's---13

HT's---45ish

Poly.---2

Minifloras---20ish

Minis---20ish

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mendocino Rose,

Please correct your settings on you page to allow others to message you. I get questions about OGR and I've already contacted the Head of the Heritage Rose Foundation for answers. It helps the ARS Q&A guy to know I have other folks I can go to!!

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I live in the San Joaquin Valley, CA. Great place for growing plants adapted to Mediterranean climates. We have a variety of fruits such as limes, pomegranates, peaches, grapes and learning how to grow them everyday as we are new to them. I really appreciate reading about experiences people have here because with such limited space in the yard, I know most of us can only afford to keep the best of the best.

I have about 10 hybrid tea rose bushes now and a few miniatures here and there; I added the majority of them just this winter. I mostly enjoy hybrid tea roses with tall strong stems and have them for cutting. Besides the fact that they are a superb creation through hybridization by humans, I appreciate roses because they can take a lot of neglect compared to other plants like tropicals, jasmines, azaleas, etc) Though they don't all thrive, I haven't really had a rose bush die on me. Loads of Snails and dry heat without rain for months and months on end can easily kill anything here that gets neglected for a little while, but roses will bounce back for me year after year even when I'm not here to care for them and this is why I'm incorporating more into my yard. I don't belong to any groups, but am open to it in the future.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Nice to see folks posting about themselves. I am also in the central valley of Ca, where it gets to be about the temperature of the surface of the sun in summer. There is an old Wolfman Jack radio show that talks about the weather here where he states the weather forecast. It is going to be 200 degrees in Bakersfield and 500 degrees in Fresno. I crack up every time I hear it. In the winter we get Tule fog for weeks where it is often zero visability. Ugh!

I live in a small planned unit development with zero lot lines. I have what I call baby house and baby yard. I consider myself lucky to be able to own my own home at all given CA prices and my salary. No complaints.

I used to belong to ARS but haven't for years. That was when I lived in an apartment and had all my plants in pots. I did that for over 20 years. I was part of a rose chat room or AOL for a long time and it was a great place to learn about roses. Lots of expertise there and patience with newbies. Very much like here.

Someday I hope to take master gardener classes when I can afford to retire in 530 years. They only offer them during weekdays when I have to work. The city water folks saw my front yard one day last year and nominated my yard for a sustainable garden award. There were seven categories you had to meet from watering, plantings, practices, etc. They were tough! Well, I was lucky enough to win. There were five of us in this 1 million population area. Still can't believe it!

I like growing unusual plants. One of the judges stated I was a plant person and she was right. I do grow roses but grow fruit trees such as Yuzu, Australian Finger Limes, variegated fig trees, passion fruits, variegated lemons, etc. Many of those are in pots along with my raspberries, red currents, golden alpine strawberries, veggies, etc. I have garden zones which contain my fruit trees, my succulents, etc. Easier for watering in our drought water restricted area.

I garden organically. I love roses and have mostly DA roses and roses bred from Ralph Moore, whose nursery was about 60 miles south of me. I consider myself lucky to have been able to go there before he passed.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dan 8,

Interesting side note about Ralph Moore. I read that Texas A&M got his entire collection of roses. So If you want a Ralph Moore Rose contact Texas A&M

• pembroke
    9 years ago

Pembroke zone 6B Just love roses and always have questions about them.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I live in Sunset Zone 23-24, in coastal Ventura Co., SoCal. My husband and I were Consulting Rosarians for many years, but we have since dropped our ARS memberships. (We are members of 2 local societies.)

I am, however, the National Convener for the Heritage Roses Group, national -- and Convener for our local Heritage Roses Group -- Gold Coast HRG.

• huckdog1
    9 years ago

I live in Louisville,KY zone 6B. I have been rose growing for 20 years or so. I started with one area and added more! I am currently growing about 130 roses, mostly HT and Floribundas.I am a member of Louisville Rose Society but am self-taught. I get some wonderful help from Garden Web and am very grateful for all of you. I used to be called LesMc, but I had a Houzz account under Huckdog. now i am huckdog here!!!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jerijen,

Fix your profile to allow folks to contact you. I need your help sometimes . I am the ARS Q&A Person and I get questions about OGR!!! I need help!!

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Hi Dan,

I'm near Crystal Lake, IL.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Dan -- I THINK I've made it easier to contact me -- but JUST IN CASE . . . any of you can always find me by sending a message through the website of the Heritage Roses Group:
    http://www.theheritagerosesgroup.org/
    OR the Gold Coast Heritage Roses Group:
    http://www.goldcoastrose.org/

And I'm happy to answer Old Rose queries for you. I did that for years, for Karl.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Look at all those credentials. Wow, I have only grown 7 different roses. 4 old roses and three mini. Expecting a package of roses soon. Currently have 20 minis, but only 3 different ones. I use to go to rose Society functions but I moved and don't know of a group around here.

I love roses, having been in rose society I can remember certain roses and it instantly takes me back to that place and time. Even what show or rosarien talked about it. I do remember the luxury of a scented rose.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bellarosa,

I was born in Kane County!!! I lived in Elgin and East Dundee.

We used to have a Rose Society in the Dundee area. It's closed now!

• bouquet_kansas
    9 years ago

Hi, I live in Kansas,zone6b.My husband and I have been gardening since 1980.

The very first rose that we purchased was a climber, Blaze.

For several years I concentrated on growing other perennials and annuals,

and husband grew the veggies.

Over the years I got more interested in growing roses and started buying a

couple every spring. I now have 40; hybrid teas, floribundas, and grandifloras.

I've worked seasonally for the local nursery growing and selling perennials,

annuals , and of course roses. I really enjoy helping customers choose plants for

their gardens.

I am not a master gardener or do I belong to any rose groups.

What knowledge that I do have comes from experience and reading.

I have also learned a great deal from coming in here , the Garden Web.

I don't comment often but every now and then add my two cents worth.

Thru-out the summer I make bouquets for friends and businesses and

when September comes around, Kansas has it's state fair.

I've entered my flowers for many years now. It's funny to hear someone say,

as they look at the flowers......"oh , they had to have been grown in a greenhouse

to look that good!" I know that every one of my flowers was grown under

the hot summer skies here in Kansas, and with my own blood , sweat, and yes,

occasional tears...

Carol

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Wild Haired Mavens(Zone 10), What are the variety of minis? 20 roses of three types, makes me curious.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    9 years ago

Newish to gardening. Have maybe 20 roses now, another 20 or so coming this spring, so not a ton here. Love fragrant roses, hate winter. Bellarosa I'm right by you up by Crystal Lake - small world.

Julie

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dingo2001

I am in Decatur! If you have any specific questions let me know. There is a Rose Society near you if you are interested. They are a lot of help and have a lot of roses!

• Wild Haired Mavens
    9 years ago

@jasminerose4u they were sold in the bulk bin by color no names on them. If someone knows the names I would be appreciative. Thanks

• daylilyiris
    9 years ago

Hi, fellow rose lovers! I used to be Snowheather on the GardenWeb, but had a heck of a time getting a user name that Houzz hadn't decreed was already in use (of course it was, it used to be me!). So, now my user name is a reflection of my other two favorite flowers, daylilies and irises. It's good to see the "old gang" back. Beth (the norcal one) has been my rose selection mentor for years. It's her fault I have so many roses-150+! Beth, I particularly wanted to thank you for my getting Neil Diamond last year from Breck's. It is a wonderful rose and a lot of people were surprised when I told them where I got it. I must say, I was skeptical when I saw your recommendation - not anymore. This year, I have ordered five roses from them and I found out how they manage to send such nice new bare roots - they are now owned by Weeks Roses!

And for the Beth in North Texas, I was shocked to hear you got disrespected because you spray for blackspot. I live in a suburb of Dallas, otherwise known as blackspot heaven. I spray for blackspot, although I also try to get as many disease resistant roses as possible, and I use insecticides very sparingly. I am a Consulting Rosarian, a member and Past President of the Dallas Rose Society and Collin County Rose Society, and also a Master Gardener. We love new members and need everyone's help to fight the terrible disease of Rose Rosette that is rampant in our area. Please don't be discouraged by that one person's comments and contact us on either website for any help you might need.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I'm just a rosarian (small "r") who has been gardening for over 35 years. I have 65 roses--combinations of moderns, Austin reproductions, and older roses-- also minis and climbers. A bit of everything as they get my attention. : )

And lots of other plants also--peonies, iris, lilies, bulbs of various kinds, many perennials, wildflowers, annuals. Flowering bushes and flowering trees, etc. A bit of everything.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I'm a lifelong gardener that discovered roses about 10 years ago, when I realized my perennial beds needed more height and substance. I was looking at ornamental shrubs like smokebush when I realized "roses are shrubs". Now I'm at 750 types of full-sized roses, plus around 40 duplicates and maybe 50 minis, and no stopping. I'm in zone 5 Nebraska, and I'm way too lazy to spray for fungus or insects, so I'm a mostly organic gardener by default. I grow a lot of other perennials mixed in with the roses, as well as a decent sized vegetable plot, blueberry bushes, strawberries under one large bed of roses, and about 6 (very) dwarf fruit trees. It's all fun, and I'm happy to share tips for cold-weather gardening from my experience.

Nice photos of your gardens, Missy & Huckdog. Wildhaired Mavens- those are some nice minis, but I'm rarely much help when providing IDs for plants.

Cynthia

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    9 years ago

I am a long-time gardener also. I have been a member of ARS since 1975 and an accredited horticultural ARS judge since 1988. Among a list of other things I am a retired chemist. I have a yard full of roses and other plants. I also like to grow some vegetables in my big raised bed and in tubs. I do a fair amount of container gardening. I also like to have some things that are somewhat out of the ordinary. I also have a liking for peonies, particularly the trees and intersectionals. I also have been battling the rose rosette problem, but I have had some success, however limited, with some spray treatments. I have had a total of 15 plants come down with rosette, but I now have 6 of them apparently in remission to where they appear normal, and 1 is appearing to be in recovery. The others I have had to get rid of. I have been trying to do the think outside the box treatment of the rosette problem, but success is limited. If I can just get a treatment to work consistently, I will certainly share it. I have, however, not seen any new cases of rosette last year with my spray mix although it is all around the area. I am in suburban Kansas City in case anyone is interested.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the_bustopher, Why don't you go into Your Houxx and mark the box thats lets people message you.