SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferemily_gw

Should I start all over again?

jenniferemily
16 years ago

My pathethic long lawn story starts with our decision to put in an inground pool. I knew very little about lawncare then but I did know that I would want to replant the grass in the fall. We signed the pool contract in August of last year with the promise it would be completed in October of last year. It was completed in June of this year. Therefore the grass would have to be planted in late spring. My husband ordered what was supposed to be the sandy loam that was going to backfill the pool. It is a weekend house so we were not here when it was delivered and backfilled. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was not loam but more like clay. Everyone told me not to worry, grass will grow in it and my husband did not back me up when I wanted to have the whole thing redone. I brought the soil to my extension office and they confirmed it was terrible soil with very little organic material. I got a whole truckload of compost and had it mixed into the soil. I then planted Kentucky Bluegrass seed in late June. As I am sure you have already guessed, my lawn is full of weeds. There are some sections that look decent, but the majority is crabgrass, plantain, and one nasty looking weed that grows very tall. I have now read about three books on organic lawn care and I know much more about amending soil and what it takes to grow a nice lawn. What I don't really know is it worth it to try to continue to amend this soil or should I spend yet even more money and have everything ripped out and buy new soil. The soil has definitely improved with the compost and the life that has grown on it but it is mostly superficial improvement. It is still very much like clay when you dig deep. Also, given that I planted in very late spring, was I destined to have weeds regardless? Therefore my question is, should I just kill the current grass/weeds, do a comprehensive soil test, and amend appropriately or should I spend a ton of money and rip it out and start all over (I also might need a recommendation for a divorce lawyer if I go this route).

Thanks!

Jen

Comments (5)