SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

If you could start all over again: part 2

daisychain01
9 years ago

Well, I just met with the man who is putting together the spec list of what needs to be done/replaced in our restoration. You know it's not going to be good news when the first thing he says is, "from your emails, I get the feeling that you really aren't aware of the scope of what's going on." Nope, not good at all.

In hindsight, I should have been aware, but it was just easier to stick my head in the sand. So the long and short of it is that the whole house is pretty much a complete gut job - walls, ceilings, all the woodwork (except stairs and banisters which will be stripped and redone), floors, etc.

All of the woodwork is original and over 100 years old. But I'm going to stop crying over spilt milk and get on with things (well, I will probably still have a good cry or two yet).

I've always been a fan of the mix of rustic/old with spare and new. I'm not a fan of bad replicas.

I'm toying with the idea of not replacing the woodwork as it is now and going with something completely different.

What if we went with pared down painted white woodwork and medium dark floors and let the furnishings be the focal point rather than the woodwork/architecture?

I seem to be incapable of posting an in-message pic from the internet, but I've included a link to a kitchen that sort of has the feeling I love. I'll keep looking for a living room pic with a similar look to try to better explain what I'm thinking.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Comments (5)