SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marwa_mars

My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?

Marwa Mars
9 years ago

Gardenia dying off below pic

Ok to start with this is how healthy my gardenia looked the first day i got it home 19th December 2014 below pic

In the course of its life here I had been cruel to it ,and that is because it is my first plant along with a monstera plant which is doing fine.

I had put it in a no light area ,then shifted it to a place near my window sill ,now the nursery from where i bought this plant told me to water with just a glass of water that too when the top of the soil was dry and so I didn't give it much water and the plant started wilting ,leaves started falling I had almost given up hope ,but my mum poured in a lot of water and the plant revived as if nothing was ever wrong with it ,then I placed a bowl beneath it a filled some water there for humidity purpose with few pebbles as it has roots coming out of the pot ,

I did think of re-potting it but I've read you should not re-pot it when it has buds ,and mine had plenty that's another story that not even one bloomed ,now giving it plenty of water almost everyday ,but things got worst the leaves started browning at the edges ,plenty of them started falling off .

I had no idea what was going on, I checkked the leaves for infestation or so and bloody hell ,they were attacked by spider mites ,since then I had been researching and cleaning under the leaves ,spraying a mix of alcohol and water but to no avail ,I added fertilizer as well nothing worked ,and now iit has lost around 75%-80%

of its foilage and I saw some mold over my soil so I removed those areas and put fresh soil and I keep misting but nothing works (the first pic shows the current horrible situation of the once lush and beautiful gardenia)

I'm wondering now .I have lost the beautiful foliage and left with browned and diseased leaves ,there are one or two buds left ,but there is hope I see new leaves forming but they soon brown and dry off because of the spider mite ,

What should I do know ,i have hardly anything to lose ,should I remove all the leaves from the plant and remove it from the current soil and pot ,give it a nice shower and alcohol wash and repot it or is it extreme ,please help i don't want to lose it

Comments (4)