SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sloedjinn

Wall color for a bathroom that is so very brown (not a neutral!)

sloedjinn
9 years ago

We just bought a new place, haven't closed yet, but I do want to have it painted before we move in, so that will be soon after we close.

The bathroom was. Well, shall we just say it wasn't my first choice of bathrooms. But in our budget and the location (South Loop, Chicago) my husband insisted on, we didn't have a lot of choice. The place hits every other one of our likes/loves as far as location/size/brightness.

It is, by objective measures, a gorgeous, brand new bathroom remodel. The tiles are all very, very brown. The floor is slate with a lot of brown in it. The vanity is very brown. The vanity counter is light brown speckled granite. You get the pictures. The walls are currently painted a very blue toned gray, that I suppose matches the gray part of the slate floor. I don't think it works very well with the tile or the floor.

The problem is that I really don't like brown and beige and those related neutrals. I put up with them in wood, because its kind of unavoidable, but even then, my first choice is an orangey, yellowy toned wood like golden oak.

What I like to see in a room is white walls with lots of color. Not 'pops' of color, but major parts of the room are a bright color, like my sofa is a bright aqua, the television cabinet is red, etc.

Is there a paint color that will put some color into this so brown room? Some way to make things warmer and brighter? I was thinking maybe a peachy, warm pink (they say pink loves brown). Or a warm green?

A bathroom reno beyond paint and accessories is out of the question at the moment. The bathroom is brand new and very nicely done, if you ignore the fact that it is so very, very brown.

I hope the pictures load okay and are enough to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Comments (84)