SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dellr_gw

Who said this isn't canning season?

dellr
9 years ago

We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale on celery and baby carrots. We bought 10 bundles of celery at $0.69 per bundle (and they were thick and heavy) and 10 one pound bags of baby carrots for $0.59 per bag. A REAL sale!

The first day was spent washing and cutting things up. The second day I spent a full day processing everything using 2 canners at once (my third canner won't fit on the stove at the same time). I also did up 6 pounds of hamburger meat for processing (5 gallon stockpot, half full of water, lid on until it boils, put all the ground beef in it and stir vigorously with a wire whisk until everything is broken up completely, let boil again and boil for about 5 more minutes to make sure it's all cooked, drain in wire mesh colander and rinse, fill pint jars with 1 inch headspace, add lukewarm water until it covers the meat, add 1/2 tsp salt if desired) and made a total of 6 pint jars of hamburger meat (can we all say instant manwich?) and a grand total of 33 pints and 17 jelly jars (I ran out of jelly jars).

People claim that celery gets mushy when processed, that's true but it also gets mushy when used in soup and that's where I use all my celery so the mush simply means it's cooked already.

Raw packed carrots and raw packed celery the way I have in the images each take 35 minutes in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure (at 950 feet for me)

I then spent a total of 3 hours the next day washing the jars, rings, drying the jars and baking the rings dry, labeling the jars, and re-installing the rings.I'm ready to find a spot in the basement for these now.

Just a reminder, keep them in a spot where sunlight won't get to them and they mostly get kept in the dark. The photons from the light sources will degrade the products. If you don't believe that then try this experiment yourself. put some colored cotton fabric outside in the sun and then tape some aluminum foil lined cardboard to it in the middle spot. After a couple months, remove the cardboard and you'll find the rest of the fabric faded and the spot you had covered (and kept dark) did not fade. The same goes with food items. fading means degradation of quality, it does not mean it's bad to eat.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH