SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Speaking of working out...top of foot pain isn't going away! Also

Sheeisback_GW
12 years ago

I've been having foot issues since August. Started noticing pain on the top part of my right foot. Starts about the middle and goes up the whole top and around the right. The best way I can describe it is it feels bruised like I dropped something on it (didn't). Feels like it would feel better if I could crack it. A dull, annoying ache and hurts with every step. It's not bad enough to live on ibuprofen (most days anyhow) but it hurts. The top of my foot has been a little swollen looking here and there but for the most part it looks normal and isn't all that sore to push on.

I started back to the gym pretty consistent over the summer. At the time I was running (usually interval training) on the treadmill for 30-40 min. + another form of cardio. By the end of August my foot hurt pretty much all the time when I would walk.

Early Sept. I went to a Podiatrist. They did a bunch of X rays and at one point when looking for fractures he did one of those,"wait, a min." and got real close like he wasn't sure. He said there was nothing and due to my high arches there's not much shock absorption going on when I run.

He gave me some stretches to do in the morning and night. I bought special expensive inserts he told me to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen a day for two weeks until I went back. Basically told me I overworked my foot. The too much too fast thing (I disagree) and I should do the stretches and what I could do at the gym. It would magically disappear I guess.

2nd visit, he took more X rays around my ankle to double check and found nothing. He molded my foot for custom orthotics (so much for those inserts, huh) and they're in my dresser drawer at the moment.

Did the stretches for about a month. All they were doing was making the bottom of my foot sore from being stretched! I haven't done them consistent since.

That brings me to now. I pretty much didn't run anymore since Oct. Last week I ran two different days at the gym and it was nothing crazy. I don't really remember if it bothered me at all. (must not have been too bad anyhow) But then Sat. my sister and I spent about about 6ish hours shopping and it's been really hurting again.

After talking with some people, I'm starting to wonder if could have something to do with my back being out of alignment? I know people that have had pain in other areas of their body and when they were adjusted it corrected the problem. I mean everything is connected in there, right? I mentioned that to him at the 2nd visit but he looked at me like I had a chicken on my head.

I'm not really satisfied with his answer but if there's nothing on the x ray I'm not sure what else I expect him to do. How long am I suppose to wait between running? Nothing like waiting a couple months, starting again only to find out maybe it wasn't long enough?? Repeat. We're suppose to share the cardio equipment at the gym so I think 30 min. is the max on one. Besides the treadmill, I have access to an elliptical, recumbent and upright bike, stair stepper and stair climber. The only one that doesn't really hurt my foot too much is the elliptical and bikes. The upright bike hurts my you know what. Yes, whine, whine, whine. And sometimes, like last night and today, my foot does hurt enough that any cardio machine aggravates it worse. The gym was skipped. Didn't even feel like lifting.

I'm very frustrated with this. It's not like this summer was the first time I decided work out. I've been active and involved with sports my whole life. Never had any stupid physical problems.

As to why the orthotics are in my drawer, I didn't get past the break in phase because the only shoes I can wear them in is my sneakers and I can't wear them with everything. They also hurt my lower back which, according to him and the instructions, is normal. He told me once I break them in I should wear them all the time. He said to make sure I remove the inserts that come in the shoes. He says any decent shoe will have them.

Well with my wide, size 5 foot it's about impossible to find shoes to meet the standards. Impossible in stores anyhow. I also think most shoes are ugly but am willing to give a little for this. I'd rather be wearing a pointy toe pair of heels (no higher than 2") but in the past year I've only worn heels on a few occasions for a short period of time.

Zappos.com I thought would be a good place to start since it's free shipping and returns. I'm trying to find a generic looking black and/or brown shoe to work with a variety of clothes. However, so far I can't find any shoes that aren't butt ugly, that have a back and are wide. I also can't tell right if there's an insert to remove. I guess I could call before ordering.

Any shoe suggestions? Think it could be my back? Tendonitis? 2nd opinion? Cyber hug?

The link has a photo of bones in the foot. Hurts around the 3,5,6,7 and top of 9 & 10.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

Comments (21)

• lizzie_grow
    12 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Shee,

I'm so sorry you're having this...I have size 5 1/2 feet & my DD is barely a 5, so we know about your struggle with shoes.

I have had foot pain off & on for years & consequently have about 3 pairs of those expensive custom orthotics in my dresser. They just kill me to wear, can't even break them in. My DIL who is a PT, suggested Superfeet, which I can use.

I wonder if you have some kind of soft tissue injury, and would benefit from a bone scan. Maybe a sports therapy MD would be better for you. My experience with Podiatrists has been very iffy, and the last time I went was of no use, but they rx'd yet another set of orthotics & I did it, to add to my drawer collection...yikes!!

Foot pain can certainly come from the back, so that issue could be addressed, too. I have a lot of joint issues and find a good PT is invaluable....they can evaluate & treat symptoms.

Good luck & let us know how you do & again my sympathies. Foot pain is no fun.

• deedee-2008
    12 years ago

Did the podiatrist rule out any tendinitis? The bones you mention also anchor a few tendons that provide the lift to your foot when you walk, and especially when you run. Usually if people do have back problems, they don't refer down to that part of the foot where you are having problems. I second the idea l-g has about the sports med doc/sports PT. Good luck.

• Related Discussions

Less isn't more... MORE is more!

Q

Comments (60)
    So here's how they look from further back... which is why I mistakenly said they looked fine. It's been chilly here (to me... not to anyone else) for the past couple days, so I've stayed in the house and done "house things." Today, I went out there and took these pics: And here we have close-ups of some examples of what I'm seeing happening. Also, I've noticed the new leaves seem stunted. They don't grow very big before they either stop growing or fall off. Misshapen leaves, 'browning out'... Hard to really tell in this picture, but the leaf in the center is sorta 'browning out.' If this was a fancy goldfish, I'd say this one has 'dropsy.' Some weird new-growth habit, among other things. More brown spots, plus white spots. At the edge of the pot, you can see the leaves are dying here and there. This is an attempt at a close-up of one of the worst ones. Small leaves that fall off if you even touch them. Another particularly affected plant. The first sign of a problem on a previously robust plant. I don't know what the problem is, but it's obviously contagious. I'm going to have to pull all of this out, dump the brand new potting media into the trash, wash and sterilize the pots, wait for some undetermined length of time, then replace it all. Super bummer. I only hope that whatever it is doesn't spread to things that AREN'T Coleus.
    ...See More

Yellowing alkyd isn't a problem if I'm using 'yellow' right??

Q

Comments (5)
    Bacteria? Brittle? Yikes! Ok, ok, I guess you have convinced me. Here is why I was planning on using oil, in backwards order of importance: 5. I actually like the smell of oil paint (bad, bad, bad, I know). And irrelevant in the long term. But I just kind of enjoy it. Mineral spirits too. Mmmmmm. 4. I've been using oil primer (BM Fresh Start) with my beloved Corona Chinex brushes. After cleaning, the still have residue from mineral spirits. Although a guy from Corona told me they should be ready-to-go in the latex after a washing with soap and water, I'm a bit hesitant to swich them to a different type of paint (thinking of oil and water not mixing, so to speak). So, I was sort of thinking that I've already committed my brushes to oil. 3. My 80 year old kitchen is harboring some really funky old smells. Not entirely sure why. When I sand the old wood (Douglas /fir), it releases some very unpleasant smells. Probably decades of cooking odors, cigarette smoke, and ancient adhesive from shelf paper (tho actually the whole house harbors these smells). I was thinking the oil would help cover/seal this better than acrylic. 2. I've read here that the BM alkyd Impervo is one of the best performing paints ever made. But the number one REAL reason I was going to stick with the oil... 1. I'm just terrified of the difficulty and fast dry time with the BM waterborne Impervo. I'm a slow painter, and I'm constantly interrupted by my 2 little boys. I'm worried that it will look crummy. On the other hand, it WOULD be nice to get all the (open) containers of mineral spirits off of the kitchen counter. That can't be too good for the food prep situation... And then there is my unvented 1955 vintage stove with all the pilot lights going, and wisps of gas always escaping whenever the oven is turned on. :-) Francy
    ...See More

Part of property in flood plain but house isn't.... significance?

Q

Comments (45)
    I just received a denial to my LOMA request from FEMA. The local floodplain maps were recently changed and my home was now designated as being in an SFHA, Flood Zone type is AE. We paid for an Elevation Certificate which revealed that the only portion of our home that is in the new flood zone is a 3 inch area of the last step at the bottom of a staircase going out of the back of our home. No part of the actual structure is in the floodplain except the last step of a 16 step staircase that extends about 10 feet out from the actual structure. We appealed to FEMA and they said that if ANY part of the structure including any portion of any step or staircase is at a lower elevation then the designated floodplain elevation (BFE), the ENTIRE STRUCTURE is considered to be in the floodplain and flood insurance is required. So, because 2.4 inches of my bottom step is in the floodplain, I'm required to buy flood insurance @ $450 per yr. And there's no appeal from this. We live in the Columbia SC area and 3 years ago we experienced a 100 yr type flood and at its highest level of flooding, the lake was still about 50 feet away from that lowest step. Very disappointed with the results of this adventure into government agencies/policies and how they work against tax paying citizens.
    ...See More

Isn't killing your KD considered

Q

Comments (32)
    Well, I got off the phone with the KD this afternoon, His crew will be here Friday morning to finish the install. Almost 5 weeks after the mistake was discovered. He wasn't happy that I had the floors finished while he was on vacation. He really is an arrogant S.O.B. He wants to look at the floors before his installer do any work, which I don't have a problem with. I understand that he wants to make sure there aren't any scratches before he starts.I went out and bought sheets massoinite to cover the floor to make sure the floor is protected. He keeps on harping on the fact that he doesn't want a problem, well does he really think I want the floors damaged, it would be a problem for me too. He makes it sound like I'm trying something out of him. But he doesn't want to be responsible for any damage. I told him, if you damage it you fix it. He keeps on trying to blame me and my husband for his mistake. Then he has the nerve to call me again, and mak sure me is he going to be paid in full. I told him when the job is complete and we are satisfied we will discuss payment. He wanted me to commit to full payment. I've done quite a bit of renovation in my home, and no on has ever asked if they will be paid in full BEFORE the job was complete. He wanted to make sure I wasn't going to deduct anything from his final payment, which I should deduct the extra expenses I incurred because of HIS mistake..... It'll be over soon, It'll be over soon, that's going to be my new mantra..... Thanks for the vent. (Oh geeze,that's what started my troubles....the vent....LOL )
    ...See More
  • tinam61
    12 years ago

I was thinking an orthopedic doctor rather than a podiatrist, but lizzie might have something there. PT is a good idea!

I hope you can find something out and get over this. Keep us posted.

tina

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gotta run right now but wanted to write quick.

I felt silly after posting blabbing about my foot. I figured it was better for me to explain it all instead of bits and pieces so you knew what I did already.

I wasn't real thrilled with this podiatrist. We appeared to be close in age and I'm not sure if that just made him feel comfortable or what but I believe you can be personable as well as professional. He wasn't real professional IMO. He also had a habit of talking over me and cutting me off. I felt rushed. The funny thing is, my 2nd appointment was scheduled for 3:15 and I didn't get out of there until 6:00. I also live over an hour away. Overbooked that day I guess. Anyhow..

The doc didn't say thing about tendinitis. He was really convinced it was just overworked and rest would fix it. I was doing some reading online and found someone's story about the top of their foot bothering them. The advice the online doc gave was to get an x ray but he mentioned it could be that.

I just want to know what's up with it since having foot problems isn't normal. I don't want to make whatever it is any worse. I was sitting here with my legs crossed in front of me and I had my left foot over top of the right and it was sending sharp, sharp pain through the top of my foot. I changed positions pretty quick!

Eek, bone scan. That doesn't sound fun. Isn't that where they inject you with something? I'll look it up then.

I guess I'll check into the sports medicine thing next.

• theroselvr
    12 years ago

Have a look at the image below; it tells where you would have pain in your body if it's back related.

Then you want a photo like this one - print the picture out and mark where you have pain. You can also look at more foot images to find the exact picture you want to use. Once you mark the picture, it will give you a better idea of what the problem might be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dermatomes

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

YOUR SHOES ARE LACED UP WRONG !!! Every runner I have ever known including myself starts out with their shoes laced wrong . ALL of the pain is the pressure of the laces on the tendon on top of your foot. It is so painful and can lead to the entire lower leg swelling. I am amazed that noone at the DR or anyone else that runs/works out has not shown you the right way to lace up. So here goes.

You need to feed the laces in the last two top holes through the SAME side...do not cross them over. This makes a loop on each side at the top of the shoe. You then take the strings and cross them and put them under the loop on the opposite side. Then you can pull them to the center and tie them, this takes all the pressure off of that tendon. If you need me to take pics and post I will do it. If you do this and take IBuprofen this will clear up asap. Please let me know how it goes. I have seen this so many times. I sure hope this is your problem and that we can fix it asap. c

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lizzie - Isn't having small feet just lovely. :) That's not comforting you never broke your orthotics in. I was wondering after I bought them if I'd be able to get through the process and have them work.

Roselvr - Thanks for linking to those things. Looks like there's a possibility it could be my back.

Trailrunner! When I got home tonight I put my sneakers on thinking it would be better for my feet and sure enough I no sooner got them on and the pain was worse. The shoe lace thing did cross my mind (tonight). Back when this first happened DH said about my shoe laces. My reaction was,"NAH!"

I have a little confession to make. When I bought these sneakers (online because couldn't find any in the stores!) I should've bought a 5.5. The 5 fits great length wise but the width is a little snug if laced the whole way. That being said I wasn't lacing the top two holes because of that. This is how they've been and they feel kind of tight around the top part of my foot when laced.
    {{gwi:1492834}}
    Is this what you mean?
    {{gwi:1492836}}
    I have one of each on my feet right now and there isn't any pressure across my foot laced up the 2nd way and it feels much better.

You would think a foot doctor would mention this.

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

I used to get stress fracturres on my feet , from overuse in tennis, stop and go,
    and wearing the wrong shoes; they are small fractures and hard to see; it would take weeks for the inflammation to go down.

I've had good luck in finding wider shoes with New Balance, their site has a lot of customer reviews for each style, plus their own technical sheet of each style, it's worth investigating and trying to find a style in 5,5W that would work for your foot and running. I ordered on line from them; I also bought nb shoes from zappos but the nb site has more styles, all their styles available.

I now have to get 7.5 double wide for ultimate comfort, the heel still fits snug; I have less selection though. Regular wide, W, is available in almost all styles. I also like a shoe under 10 ounces, very light. I don't run but do long distance walks.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Balance

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Yes you need to get NB shoes . They make a wider and better fitting shoe than most any other. I have been wearing them for a lot of years. I have been running since 1978 so anything I tell you comes from my experience and that of my friends who have had problems and then solved them.

The lacing you show isn't quite right . Here are 3 pics I just took to show you.

{{gwi:1492837}}

{{gwi:1492839}}

{{gwi:1492840}}

First as MD says you have to have the correct size shoe. It is not possible to run/workout in a shoe that is half laced as there is no support for the upper foot and ankle . It is just sloppy in the shoe. Also lacing too tight to then make up for the shoe being poorly fitting or lacing loosely for the same reason poses the some problems,,,either sloppy fit or pressure in the wrong places. So perfect fitting shoes.

Then you have to have correct cushioning in the shoes . You will note that NO shoes have decent support insoles in them. NONE of the manufacturers put a good insole anymore. The reason is that ALL runners by new other market insoles or have custom orthotics. You can get good insoles at your local sports stores. Make sure and throw out the insole that came with the shoe and try the new one in the shoe before buying.

Next you have to write the date on the shoes when you start wearing them. Why ???? Well a couple reasons. You only get 250-350 miles from a pair of shoes.If you keep track of your mileage then you will know that at say, 25 miles a week that is 100 a month more or less so there you go...you need new shoes in 3 months. Now how many pairs of shoes do you need....2 minimum for running. Why? Well that number above will be doubled if you switch shoes every time you run. You compress the cushioning in the shoe and the shoes also get damp. They need to dry out and bounce back between every use. If they are allowed to bounce back then you get 6 months from a pair and not 3 so it saves some money, if you get them on sale, plus your feet will thank you . So always get 2 pair. NEVER wear your running shoes for anything else...never ever. It puts strain on the shoe in other directions and clocks miles on them and wears them out. Use your old shoes for errands and gardening etc. They aren't good for running but they are fine for low impact stuff.

You can get GREAT prices on NB and other brands at Sierra Trading Post on line. They always have a great selection. You can look up the style on Road Runner.com ( they have a great catalog but very expensive) to see what type foot the shoe is intended for. It doesn't matter if they are "old " styles as the shoe industry is always coming out with another one. So old is relative.

I think that is all. You need to let the feet heal so you need to do something else....cross training is the Number 1 thing that most people DON'T do and they should . You get over use from...duh...over use...that is why it is called over use injury ! So don't do it. Work out at the gym. Do a step class, go run, ride a bike, go swim. You get the idea.

I hope I don't sound too preachy LOL. I am an OLD runner and have seen and heard it all. Almost every problem is solved with common sense. Every single running friend I have has injuries and EVERYONE could be prevented if they would do even one thing I suggested above about cross training..but they only get the "cross" part LOL. So there you go. Please let me know if I can help in any way. If the pics are not clear enough tell me and I will try again. It is easy but could be confusing so let me know. c

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

(((Trailrunner)))! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain and take photos! I think I get it and will try to lace them when I get home.

I guess I never considered myself really any type of distance "runner". I'll admit I just figured I could get away with wearing the same sneakers for everything and would be fine. I guess there's a reason they call them running shoes. :)

I'm due to get a new pair of shoes. Deep down, when these sneakers came in the mail, I knew they weren't the right size but honestly didn't think it would create any problems as they're not unbearable or anything. I'll definitely get a pair of NB. I wonder if the wide or extra wide would be better. I should see if the stores have any first before ordering online.

I have those inserts (as well as the orthotics) from the podiatrist in my sneakers now. How long do inserts usually last? I'm assuming I need new inserts for each pair of shoe. I noticed the inserts in the shoes are garbage but since that's the case, you think they could knock the price down a little?

When you say never ever wear your running shoes for anything else. ...... I know that was clear English, but does that literally mean if I go to the gym I need to take the running shoes off before I get on the elliptical?

I'm sure this is different for everyone but how long do you think I should give my foot to heal?

I'll check out those sites online. Thanks!!

Do you run everyday? I'm not in any way doubting what you told me. I've seen photos of you on here all fit and athletic like. :) I wondered how people can run everyday without getting an overuse injury. I've dealt with shin splits in the past couple of years too which I also never had in the past. I haven't had any problems with that for quite some time now but then came this foot issue!

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

If you are at the gym then you need to be wearing your "gym" shoes aka older running shoes. Of course it depends on what you are going to be doing at the gym. If you are walkin around to do machines and the no impact elliptical then you don't need your good running shoes. If you are going to do the treadmill and have impact then you need the new shoes. The reason I said not to wear them for other activites is that they wear crooked if you are side stepping in the garden etc.

As far as replacing orthotics/insoles it depends on what they are made of and how much they cost etc. I have 2 pair of them. One pair is made as a hard plastic and the other is also a very firm styrofoam type molded product, they were intended to be forever orthotics...they were made for me in 1996 and are 1/2 length. I have had the forefoot padded part replaced a couple times on them. These cost a couple hundred so are not to be replaced. On the other hand my DH buys the Sorbothane ones...which are made very well and can be purchased most places or on line, and he watches how they look and he replacees them when they look worn. If you get 2 pair of shoes and 2 pair of orthotics then actually my figures above for longevity were wrong...you get 1/2 again as much extra wear out of all of the things...so 2 pairs gets you 9 months...not the usual 3 months for each so you get a free 3 months more or less.

You should NOT have inserts as well as orthotics in your shoes. One or the other never ever both. Would fill up the shoe and raise your foot too high...thus putting pressure on that tendon on the top and causing the pain you are feeling. If your orthotics are not full length then you can do one of 2 things. Orthotist should put a good padded front made of the new high tech triple layer stuff they have or....you can get a good insert and cut it to fit flush with the front of the orthotic...of course number 1 is the best solution as he can attach it all together.

Time to heal foot. That is so variable. It depends on how long it took to get this painful. It takes at least that long to get well and maybe a little more. Better to wait till it is well than to keep irritating it. I have friends that run in pain year in and year out....dumb. I have even had my orthopedic guy say it is OK to be in pain...double dumb. If it hurts there is something WRONG. So don't do it. Now for the truth...I have run many miles with it hurting enough that I felt like crying. I was running in a 50 mile trail run up and down Carlton Peak in MN once out by Lake Superior and my tendon in my ankle, which was already bad but was getting worse, was killing me. I WALKED 26 miles of the 50 miler....in pain...I finished but it sure wasn't any fun. I used to have the same mind set that most of my friends still have....you just have to keep going no matter what. Well I learned that it just isn't so. I have quit lifting weights or quit running or biking etc for up to a year. You know what? When I get back to it I am stronger than ever. I never stop doing something physical but everything has a season and sometimes you just need to take a break and change out your routine.

Whew...I am sorry to be SO longwinded...we could talk for hours if you wanna come and run with me LOL. I don't run every day. I used to years and years ago. I learned that I want to be able to be like those ladies in the articles on the other thread...I wanna be 96 and still out there doing something. Every day above ground is a good way to look at it. Noone is keeping score and noone is clocking my miles or my times....it is ALL inside of me . I used to not realize that. I have lots of runner friends that wear a GPS thingy and can tell you to the foot how much they run every day. That is great for them but they are not particularly happy runners and they also are injured alot and they are racing against the clock all the time. That is fine if that is where your head is but it is not for me, not any more. Please let me know how this works for you.

Oh also I will give you a formula that you can use to help the pain and it is safe to take. 2 Tylenol/2 Ibuprofen/2 Aspirin...I know it sounds like a lot but they each perform a completely different function and they will add into each other and increase the benefit you would get from any one of them when taken all together. Only do this for about 2 weeks and only 2x a day...12 hrs apart. Of course this is only OK if you have no medical reason that you can't take these products. Check with your MD first ...

You can also get a product called Flexable made by Amerifit, it is a glucosamine product for healing tendons and ligaments. It is wonderful and way better than the capsules you can buy in the store...it is an orange flavored powder. OK , I WILL STOP NOW ~:)

• seww
    12 years ago

I use Yankz laces, invented for triathletes to get shoes on fast without having to tie or untie. I love them! Also I suggest you go to a specialized running store and get fitted for shoes. Take the old ones with you, it's important to see how they have worn.
    I'm sorry you are in pain and can't figure out the problem.
    I have hard to fit feet and realize how important it is to get a GOOD shoe.
    Good Luck!
    Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: the best shoe laces ever!

• deedee-2008
    12 years ago

I never realized how many other people have wide feet. You'd never know it from the shoes they sell in the average dept. store. Once I was shopping for hiking boots, and the salesman said I had the "feet of Donald Duck". Nice, huh? I have found good luck with Saucony's wide running shoes.

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trailrunner - I was reading some of this to DH last night, he thought they sounded like great ideas btw, and when I was done reading the first thing he said to me was,"Wow, I can't believe people take the time to type that much out trying to help someone. " Ha.

Gotcha on the wear them only for running.

Oh I know not to wear the orthotics and insoles at the same time. I know now (didn't at first years ago!) to take out the pads shoes come with first.
    Powerstep is the brand of inserts I bought from the Podiatrist. Heard of or any thoughts on them? I forget what name my orthotics are they don't say anything on them but they came in a bag that did. The bottom is hard plastic but the top is blue firm foamy stuff. He said something about it being new stuff.

Do you think the Podiatrist would give me a hard time about "put a good padded front made of the new high tech triple layer stuff they have or....you can get a good insert and cut it to fit flush with the front of the orthotic"? Guess I won't know until I try but I'm picturing them wanting to know what I'm diagnosing myself since they apparently didn't think I needed that. Oh, well.

I wondered how the ball of my foot was getting any support if I'm use my new orthotics in shoes I took the insole out since there's nothing there. In the past (I'm sure from wearing heels) I've had pain in the balls of my feet. I tried to tell him this too while I was there but he wasn't interested in hearing it since I wasn't having pain.

Thanks for the heads up about the glucosamine. I think it actually might be what DH takes! I need to check that out. He gets on me about how I really should take it.

I can take all three of those types of pills. That does sound like a lot! I'm guessing it just kills the pain longer? Does that help with the healing process at all. Perhaps that's a dumb question.

I checked out that roadrunner site and the chart and I'm not sure if I'm N or PN. I'm under 150lbs and I do under 25 miles a week for N but the PN says, you run races or enjoy fast running. I like fast running. When I said I never considered myself a runner it's because I normally don't do more than 3 miles at a time and normally it's intervals. The thought of a 50 or even 10 mile race makes me cringe. Figured I'd ask but thought N would probably be my best bet regardless? Also, the NB shoes look like they're for trail running and I'm normally on a treadmill, does this matter?
    I really like that site. It even tells you to order sizes up for some shoes. The current ones I have are on there and it does say to order 1/2 size bigger. Go figure. Onlines shoes didn't tell me that!

How's this for the laces? It still feels kind of tight around the top. Probably just the poor fitted shoes. For now, I'll rest from running. I have other sneakers I can wear for biking or whatever. By the time I'm ready to hopefully run again I'll make sure to have good sneakers.
    {{gwi:1492841}}
    {{gwi:1492842}}
    {{gwi:1492843}}
    {{gwi:1492844}}

Seww - Thanks for the link. It seems very common here that even running stores have people in them that don't really know what they're doing. They just find the size in the back room. I'm at least going to go and attempt to try some on in person.

Deedee - Oh my, I laughed out loud when I read that. That wasn't real nice of him! For a long time I thought I must be the only person with wider feet! One time on ebay I bought a really nice and expensive pair of heels. I did not know B meant narrow (I think it's B - whichever one is narrow). There is no way I can wear them. Not possible. It was funny even trying to put them on. They're in my closet because I couldn't resell them. Nobody in the world has a size 5 narrow foot either. :)

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

You tell your DH that runners stick together :) Also I have lots of time LOL.

It sounds as if you have the same orthotic I have...the hard plastic but it has to have a front since as you point out, when you remove the wimpy insole from the shoe there is nothing in the front of your foot to pad it. He should know better than to not put something on the front...they simply extend the padding that is covering the orthotic and thicken it so that you have a uniform level surface. I will take a pic of mine to show you and you can take it to him.
    Oh also women lose the ft padding on the bottoms of their feet as they get older. What a pain that is ! Can't lose it anywhere else :) You can look up metatarsal pad but that is what he needs to incorporate into the forefoot padding of the orthotic.

The triple whammy of the ASA/Ibuprofen/Tylenol potentiates each other and they are a pain relief as well as a strong anti-inflammatory which you need with the tendon irritation.

It would be good to try on and get sizes of shoes and write down the numbers and then look them up online for better prices. I don't know about that particular insole...I only know about Sorbothane.

Nope most clerks are not runners and don't know a thing about shoes and fitting them. It is up to you to figure it out. You can't go wrong with a neutral shoe as the orthotic does the correction so you don't need a shoe that corrects too . Hope that makes sense.

LAcing is perfect in the pic....I have to go with DD and DH for lunch out and will post a pic of orthotic later. GOOD LUCK....

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Not sure where you looked on the Road Runner site but NB makes road shoes as well as trail shoes and they are all listed. There are quite a few right at the moment on Sierra Trading Post's website...you go to women's New Balance shoes. You can find a lot of info on each style and they also tell you if you need to size up/down and they have reviews from customers. You can also get reviews of a certain shoe if you Google the style number and brand...I am not the ONLY runner who loves to talk running LOL.

OK here are the pics of my 2 orthotics....1st is the hard plastic one...keep in mind that it was made in 1996 and has seen a LOT of trails :0...

{{gwi:1492845}}

notice the 3 layer pad...that needs changing again...it has been a couple years. Also note the "lump" in the center of the orthotic under the blue padding...that is the metatarsal pad...it lifts your foot right behind the ball area and prevents pain in the ball area...you pad behind the area you want to protect not right on it, if that makes sense, since you are relieving pressure to the area in front .

Next is the "styrofoam" type orthotic that I also have. You will note that the padding on it has held up better...I wear them less although I like them too. But the metatarsal pad as you can see is much smaller. I am going to have the padding redone by someone else, Foot Solutions, and see if they can enlarge that pad. If you Google Foot Solutions, they usually do a good job of making orthotics and analyzing feet. Of course if depends on the Dr that is running it.

{{gwi:1492846}}

these are old...wow..had forgotten when I got them made...so maybe 5-6 yrs ago. Have the same padding on their front as you can see. I need new ones.

Let me know...print out the pic for your podiatrist...he should be very willing to fix/modify your insert,,,if not you need to find someone who is better . Chk with your orthopedic clinic...they usually have an orthotist on their list of people to refer to. Also call your local running club if you have one or ask around and find one...Google running clubs for your area. I don't know where in the US you are located. If you want you can just email me through GW and we can cont, this off line. c

• lkplatow
    12 years ago

Wow -- this thread has been great. I recently started running agan (2x/week on the treadmill) after a long long break (I ran in my early 20s -- turned 39 yesterday!). The balls of my feet always hurt (even when not running) due to high arches, but the top of my right foot was also starting to hurt over the last week or so. I'm totally gonna change my laces and see if it helps!

Anyhow, Shee, I did want to recommend something. You said that the podiatrist said you have high arches. That is something most runners do not have -- most running shoes are designed to prevent overpronation, which results from flat feet. You need to get a special running shoe designed to prevent supination, which happens when you have high arches. You can tell if you supinate by looking at any pair of shoes you have worn for a while -- if most of the wear on the soles is along the outside back corner of the heel, you're a supinator.

My arches are ridiculous high (to the point where the first podiatrist I saw asked to x-ray both my feet for a research paper he was writing, LOL!) and I have the darndest time finding regular shoes, let alone running ones. Running shoes for high arches should be built on a special curved "last" (which is the mold that they make shoes on) and have extra cushioning, since your feet can't abosrb shock as well as normal arched feet.

I wore New Balance for a long time - they have a few models that are on the special last and designed for high arches and they work well. I recently got my first pair of Nike's because my last pair of New Balance wasn't quite cushiony enough (I weigh a whole lot more than I did when I was running in my 20s) and they seem to work well for the bottoms of my feet but are hurting the tops -- I'm off to change the laces as soon as I'm done typing this and hoping that solves the problem (I was sort of thinking I'm just too old for this running stuff anymore, LOL!).

But anyway, go to Road Runner Sports (roadrunnersports.com)and look for their ShoeDog application. It's a survey-type thing that lets you type in whether you have high/medium/low arches, how many miles you log a week, what you weigh, etc. and spits out a shoe that it recommends for you. I've found their recommendations to be pretty spot on, and one advantage of ordering from them is that they'll let you run in the shoe for 60 days and you can still return them if you find they're hurting your feet. And for the Nike's I just ordered, they ended up having a better prices than zappos et al anyhow (they have coupon codes and sales all the time). But even if you don't want to order through them, at the very least, do walk through their shoe finder process. With high arches, there are only a few specific models from each manufacturer, so if you just go pick a pair of New Balances from the store, it's probably not going to be the best suited pair for your feet.

• saltnpeppa
    12 years ago

Shee, I hope your foot gets better.

Trailrunner - thank you so much for your photos on how to tie the shoes. OMG - that does feel better. I used to always have to stop & adjust my shoe laces from tight to looser when working out. And the info about the life of a shoe.

We have a store here that videos you on the treadmill & will suggest a shoe. They also take you outside & have you run to see how the shoe they recommend looks. I buy all my jogging shoes from them even if it is full retail b/c of the service.

Smiles:)

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

scooby I am so glad it helped. I know it seems an obvious and easy fix but it really makes all the difference.

I have seen stores in big cities that do the video and observation thing. I think it is wonderful. Too bad there aren't more places that do that. I go by how everything feels. Nothing should hurt.

lk and shee the other easy way to tell what your status is as far as pron/supinate is to look at your feet and the caluses on them. Also look at where your socks are wearing out. As I said too you can get a neutral shoe when you use custom orthotics as they cancel out the shoe support for the most part. In fact if you are having custom orthotics made then you really shouldn't get a shoe that has a specified last other than neutral as you are working against the orthotic.

Another thing you can do to strengthen the foot and especially the arch is to stand with your foot on a towel and use your toes to wrinkle the towel toward you. It is an amazing and excellant exercise. Also standing high on tiptoe on one foot and holding it and then alternate will strengthen the tendons in your feet. The other exercise that everyone should do, as they get older especially, is for your proprioceptors....stand and balance on one foot for as long as you can...do not close your eyes but focus on the horizon...across the room etc and wear your good supportive running/workout shoes. This will insure that you never lose your balance as you age and it will strengthen your core as well as your tendons and ligaments in your feet. While doing it think of your foot and picture putting more weight on the outside edge than on the inner edge. I can do this as I have been working on it since 1996. I hold my opposite ankle w/ leg bent and heel on my butt for as long as I like ,while balancing , till I get bored, and then change feet w/o touching anything and cont. till I get tired of doing it. It is probably one of the best exercises around and is reminiscent of a yoga pose. Hope this helps, c

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I've been missing!

Lkplatow - Yep, I'm a a supinator! :)
    The Shoedog app was pretty cool. I missed that before!

Trailrunner - Here's a couple photos of my orthothics. I was wrong about how long they are. The round part sits right behind my piggers. What do you think?
    {{gwi:1492847}}
    {{gwi:1492848}}
    Mine look really cheap compared to yours. However, they weren't cheap in price! He said he was making them thin for me so I could fit them in shoes better? I'm assuming you don't wears yours for everyday use just in your sneakers? He told me to wear mine all the time but again, I can't even get used to wearing them. I should make an attempt.

I'll start doing those exercises. He told me to sit on the floor, take a towel around my arch and pull it toward me. Arms pressing against the wall with the one foot behind. On the steps, keeping my toes on and ball of foot on and hanging the rest of my foot down over the side streching. All these were twice a day, 5 times for 30 sec. Last I was told to take a can of frozen juice and roll it in the arch of my foot. This was to help with swelling I guess. Really all these did was make my arch really sore which I guess probably would happen but it didn't seem to be doing any good.

My foot felt pretty good the last two days. Yesterday I was thinking it wouldn't be long until I could run again. *Grin* Today it's been hurting all day. Heading to the gym tomorrow and will sit my butt on the bike. :(

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

I don't think they look cheap at all, they look just like my second pair as far as I can tell. The "bump" I am taking about is in the middle of the orthotic right before it starts curving up to the arch...Google metatarsal pad and you will see what the size and shape of it is. When I first got them years ago it felt like I had a walnut under that area of my foot. I did have to get used to it.

I wear them ALL the time since I rarely wear any other shoes but running shoes.If I am going out then I have Naot brand and I wear them. I have a genetic foot problem called " Morton's foot" that all the women in my family have. It causes a bunion, 2nd toe to be longer and ultimately a hammer toe on that 2nd toe and all the other's toes too , if I get really unlucky. Also a neuroma on the bottom of the foot. That is why I have the metatarsal pad built in, since I have had the neuroma flair up so badly that I couldn't put my foot on the floor...I can't go barefoot for that reason...no padding at all on the bottom of my feet + wood floors = pain.

You need to wear them but get used to them like you do contacts...start with one hour a day...add a 1/2 hr....you have to give your arch time to change...takes about 2 weeks give or take. Also if you stop wearing them the arch will fall overnight....think false teeth and retainers LOL. The body goes right back almost immediately. Also it HURTS to train the new arch...everyone I know says so and I had that problem when I 1st got the orthotics.

As to exercises...The towel pulling one is the same my PT person had shown me for stretching the achilles. I can't do the one where you balance on the balls of the feet...tht no padding thing. Not sure what he is trying to get you you to help....the pain on the top of your foot is the pressure...the arch pain is the support issue...I have had great luck with Google for exercises for a specific foot problem. Remember the " runners love to share " thing :)

So don't run, wear orthotics gradually longer, take anti-inflammatories and Google exercises and do the ones I suggested...report back :) :) c