SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Speaking of working out...top of foot pain isn't going away! Also

User
14 years ago

I've been having foot issues since August. Started noticing pain on the top part of my right foot. Starts about the middle and goes up the whole top and around the right. The best way I can describe it is it feels bruised like I dropped something on it (didn't). Feels like it would feel better if I could crack it. A dull, annoying ache and hurts with every step. It's not bad enough to live on ibuprofen (most days anyhow) but it hurts. The top of my foot has been a little swollen looking here and there but for the most part it looks normal and isn't all that sore to push on.

I started back to the gym pretty consistent over the summer. At the time I was running (usually interval training) on the treadmill for 30-40 min. + another form of cardio. By the end of August my foot hurt pretty much all the time when I would walk.

Early Sept. I went to a Podiatrist. They did a bunch of X rays and at one point when looking for fractures he did one of those,"wait, a min." and got real close like he wasn't sure. He said there was nothing and due to my high arches there's not much shock absorption going on when I run.

He gave me some stretches to do in the morning and night. I bought special expensive inserts he told me to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen a day for two weeks until I went back. Basically told me I overworked my foot. The too much too fast thing (I disagree) and I should do the stretches and what I could do at the gym. It would magically disappear I guess.

2nd visit, he took more X rays around my ankle to double check and found nothing. He molded my foot for custom orthotics (so much for those inserts, huh) and they're in my dresser drawer at the moment.

Did the stretches for about a month. All they were doing was making the bottom of my foot sore from being stretched! I haven't done them consistent since.

That brings me to now. I pretty much didn't run anymore since Oct. Last week I ran two different days at the gym and it was nothing crazy. I don't really remember if it bothered me at all. (must not have been too bad anyhow) But then Sat. my sister and I spent about about 6ish hours shopping and it's been really hurting again.

After talking with some people, I'm starting to wonder if could have something to do with my back being out of alignment? I know people that have had pain in other areas of their body and when they were adjusted it corrected the problem. I mean everything is connected in there, right? I mentioned that to him at the 2nd visit but he looked at me like I had a chicken on my head.

I'm not really satisfied with his answer but if there's nothing on the x ray I'm not sure what else I expect him to do. How long am I suppose to wait between running? Nothing like waiting a couple months, starting again only to find out maybe it wasn't long enough?? Repeat. We're suppose to share the cardio equipment at the gym so I think 30 min. is the max on one. Besides the treadmill, I have access to an elliptical, recumbent and upright bike, stair stepper and stair climber. The only one that doesn't really hurt my foot too much is the elliptical and bikes. The upright bike hurts my you know what. Yes, whine, whine, whine. And sometimes, like last night and today, my foot does hurt enough that any cardio machine aggravates it worse. The gym was skipped. Didn't even feel like lifting.

I'm very frustrated with this. It's not like this summer was the first time I decided work out. I've been active and involved with sports my whole life. Never had any stupid physical problems.

As to why the orthotics are in my drawer, I didn't get past the break in phase because the only shoes I can wear them in is my sneakers and I can't wear them with everything. They also hurt my lower back which, according to him and the instructions, is normal. He told me once I break them in I should wear them all the time. He said to make sure I remove the inserts that come in the shoes. He says any decent shoe will have them.

Well with my wide, size 5 foot it's about impossible to find shoes to meet the standards. Impossible in stores anyhow. I also think most shoes are ugly but am willing to give a little for this. I'd rather be wearing a pointy toe pair of heels (no higher than 2") but in the past year I've only worn heels on a few occasions for a short period of time.

Zappos.com I thought would be a good place to start since it's free shipping and returns. I'm trying to find a generic looking black and/or brown shoe to work with a variety of clothes. However, so far I can't find any shoes that aren't butt ugly, that have a back and are wide. I also can't tell right if there's an insert to remove. I guess I could call before ordering.

Any shoe suggestions? Think it could be my back? Tendonitis? 2nd opinion? Cyber hug?

The link has a photo of bones in the foot. Hurts around the 3,5,6,7 and top of 9 & 10.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

Comments (21)