SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgreener_gw

Irrigation design help

rgreener
9 years ago

Hi All,
We recently completely changed our plant pallete to a drought tolerant Mediterranean based list and I need a second opinion on the irrigation design (which is mostly done...). The concern are two slopes (included is a picture).

Slope 1 contains 3 palos verde trees, with Acacia as ground cover and Agaves peppered through the mix.
Slope 2 contains Acacia as ground cover, a couple small oak trees and cyprus trees.

The installer thought it would be best to have two valves on each slope. Rainbirds from the bottom and Rainbirds from the top. Drip only servicing the planting beds on the top gardens and NOT the slope.

Although I have no experience in irrigation design I sense the rainbirds are total overkill and the plan not thought through. The Palo Verdes, Agaves and Oak are extremely low water and the Acacia and Cypress are low as well but not as infrequent as the agaves/palo verdes. Should I use 100% drip on the slopes or use the Rainbirds on the bottom shooting up on the hill with drip going to the acacias? or?? thanks very much!

Comments (5)