SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindydavid4

Falling into November - current reads

cindydavid4
16 years ago

I started Russo's Bridge of Sighs this morning and am quite a way through. I love how he tells a story, draws his characters. Like Empire Falls, there isn't one moment where you could see the author at work - very smooth reading. More later when I finish

Also still reading bits and pieces of Untold Stories. Veer, do you still have the link to the BBC program where Bennett was reading these? I thought I had bookmarked it but I can't find it and I'd love to hear his voice in these.

Comments (150)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I'm on A Georgetter Heyer kick right now as I only recently discovered her books. So far I have read The Grand Sopy, Venetia, Frederica, The Toll Gate, Sylvester, A Convenient Marriage and another one I don't recall. I loved The Grand Sophy and Venetia, the rest being ok if not great.
    I finished The Tin Roof Blowdown by James Lee Burke earlier today and started Hannibal Rising (audio) only to discover it's narrated by the author. How narcissistic! I could only go a few minutes it was so bad. Had to start Cold Sassy Tree.

• sherwood38
    16 years ago

I had set aside Pillars of the Earth because I seemed to have got bogged down in it, after pages while a boy decides whether he will start a fire, and even more pages as he sets the fire...this second time around reading this book I have decided it could do with some editing.
    So I read a couple of lighter English mysteries over the weekend and just read that Oprah has chosen Pillars as her book selection...interesting choice for her. Since it is a big book, I wonder how many of her fans will read it!

Pat

• Related Discussions

November Reading

Q

Comments (94)
    Cindy it wasn't that this troll/s had anything against the writer; quite the opposite in fact. As you will have probably found from your googling they started some sort of 'club' in her memory and were offering special deals/new info/bios etc at a considerable price. They also collected everyone's email addresses from the thread on the subject (much easier in those days) and bombarded them with stuff. It went from being funny to being infuriating. I think they/she (some of us think it was a one-man show, others that a couple of trolls were involved) are still out there on a mountain top in Central Europe.Their 'English' was slightly spy-like unt to be trusted not.
    ...See More

November: what are you reading?

Q

Comments (65)
    PAM, when I was at Palmyra in 2012, I didn't notice any of the boats (4 already there) moored in the west lagoon until we were nearly through the channel, the only ingress, parallel to Sand Island. I don't remember whether that was because I was too nervous watching for the reef or they weren't visible. It was probably the former because I do recall that from where we moored just off the west end of Cooper Island, boats were clearly visible outside the reef, looking southwest toward the channel. Nowadays, although there are no permanent occupants on Palmyra Atoll, there are temporary residents, employees of the Nature Conservancy and other U.S. government staff, year round. Any boats making a call at Palmyra have to seek permission to visit, and what with radios and other electronics, the staff at the station have to be contacted so they expect any boat's arrival. I don't know what the protocol is for refusing moorage to unauthorized visitors. From what I understand, in 1974 when the Sea Wind and the Iola were there, the atoll, although it was technically private property and permission was supposed to have been sought from the owners in Honolulu, in reality it was hard to keep tabs on what boats came and went. There were no permanent residents since the U.S. military abandoned it after WWII, but Palmyra was a crossroads of sorts for sailing from Hawai'i down to Pago Pago and other South Sea islands and back. Many boats probably stopped over for a few days just out of curiosity and to take a break. Some stayed for a few days and sometimes a few weeks. Apparently it wasn't unusual for several boats to congregate in the west lagoon for short periods, although there were spells when it was completely deserted. What both couples -- Mac and Muff Graham, Buck Walker and Stephanie Stearns - didn't realize was that Palmyra was frequented fairly often, though intermittently. They had expected it to be deserted except for each of the couples alone. Evidently, this caused resentment for those who wanted solitude and complete run of the place themselves. I don't think it would be particularly unusual these days to call in at any island or atoll of any size to find one or two boats already there or, if it was deserted, to be joined by other boats after a day or maybe just a few hours. Of course there's no way of knowing whether the occupants of those boats are good sorts or bad, but from my experience (limited to only half a dozen runs south of the equator) and the experiences of my DH and sons, the sailors seem to be mostly good, friendly sorts. The Grahams had the misfortune to meet up with Buck Walker, though. When you have finished the book, PAM, I would like to know what you think of Stephanie Stearns (Jennifer Jenkins in the book).
    ...See More

What are we reading in November?

Q

Comments (119)
    I just finished Ordinary Grace; like many others here I really enjoyed it. An interesting story, nicely written, good character development. Thanks to the people who've recommended it! One thing I loved was how he handled minor characters. I've read a few books lately and by the time I get to the middle of the book and a character from the first part of the book is mentioned again and I have no idea who they are. So often the author gives no clue to remind the reader about them. He had a very subtle hand with that and I loved that it just took me a sentence or two to go, "Oh, that's who they are. I remember now."
    ...See More

November Reading

Q

Comments (126)
    I'm getting this done just under the wire I guess. In last month's thread Woodnymph asked about my bookclub's reaction to Becoming by Michelle Obama. I didn't respond because the meeting was cancelled. We have met since then and I'm sorry to say that there wasn't much discussion about it. Most liked it okay but other than that, not much was said. Perhaps it had been too long since everyone read it. I've been asked to temporarily step in as chair of this club while the person in charge is recovering from an injury. I have a feeling that I may be asked to do this permanently and I have some misgivings about doing that. This bookclub read will be March - Book I by John Lewis which I have already read. I went on to read Book II and Book III. These are Graphic novels that I really enjoyed. The book one I think I already mentioned, is our Vermont Reads book for this year. Others for this month in my regular life This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger. A gem. In trying to give new-to-me genres a fair shake I read two other graphic novels. The Hound of the Baskervilles (A. Conan Doyle), my first and I think to be only Sherlock Holmes mystery. I liked the story very much but didn't know going in that Holmes was a flaming a$$. I also read GN of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I didn't find this particularly well suited for this format. It read almost like a Cliffs notes version. I own the complete book but haven't read it yet - I certainly will though. I've only read a half dozen GNs but think that some books are better suited than others for graphic format. It also depends on the illustrator. Conclusion: it depends. I just received a book in the mail called Ice: The Nature, the History, and the Uses of an Astonishing Substance by Mariana Gosnell. It was recommended I believe by Donnamira quite a while ago but I hadn't been able to find it locally so succumbed to Amazon. Just have dipped in a bit but have learned some already. Thanks Donnamira for that tip. I'll probably post more about this book later. There is more I'd like to add but this is too long already.
    ...See More
  • cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shes made some interesting choices lately - The Road by Corman McCarthy for one. I have never been able to read one of his books, and this one in particular I'd stay away from. Seems a very odd choice for her fans, and wonder how many of them read it. She was able to get him on her show for an interview, an author who does not do interviews. So I have to give her credit for that.

• grelobe
    16 years ago

finished The QueenÂs Gambit by Walter Tevi in my hopinion a really riveting reading, in a
    strange way, because there are long descriptions of chess games, and I donÂt know anything about
    chess, only the basic moves, but they are depicted with such a tension that I kept reading without
    being able to take my eyes off the book. The premises are: a little girl becomes orphan and is put in a
    orphanage, once over there she finds out sheÂs got a flair for chess. But sheÂs also really lonely with a
    kind of emptiness inside and canÂt befriend to anyone , untill she finds out chess, but the emptiness
    still remains.

grelobe

• georgia_peach
    16 years ago

I'm currently reading Judith Berman's Bear Daughter, a fantasy inspired by NW Native American lore, but with some differences, too. I think Rosefolly recommened this several months back.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

The Queen's Gambit is one of my all time favorite books! It should be more widely read.

• lauramarie_gardener
    16 years ago

Just finished "Slam" - Nick Hornby's new novel. About a teen-age boy growing up in London, dedicated to skateboarding and just begining to find out about romance. He has conversations w/the world's top skateboard champion pictured on a poster stuck to his bedroom wall...and the poster talks back! It reads very smoothly, is easy to follow. Has a few chuckles here and there. But, it's lackluster; not enough really goes one -- although a lot goes on, in a way. But that one event doesn't create a dynamic, exciting story. It's a "one-note Charlie" plot. The characters weren't fascinating -- I didn't feel very drawn to them. What a let-down! I always expect so much from Nick Hornby because of the great "About a Boy".

So now I've read all Hornby's novels. "About a Boy" is one of my favourite books of the past 15 years. I've read it word-for-word, three times --- so far! Sheer magic!

• lauramarie_gardener
    16 years ago

lemonhead: I loved "Me Talk Pretty One Day" (Sedaris) -- I laughed so much when I read it!

One of the stories I remember is the Paris subway incident: American tourist talking to his wife about Sedaris, who's standing next to them, assuming Sedaris is a Frenchman, and, so, cannot understand English. The tourist -- a typical, overweight, boor -- tells his wife, in a know-it-all-about-the-world manner what a smelly creature is standing next to them, and to keep a tight hold onto her purse because he looks like a pickpocket. It's in my permanent "library" now.

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

Laura -

If you like Sedaris' "Me talk pretty", have you tried his "Holidays on Ice"? It's absolutely hilarious in parts and it would be fun to read it as we come upon the holiday season.

Just a suggestion. Sedaris is one of the few people who are consistently funny - have you read his contributions in "The New Yorker"?

liz/lemonhead

• martin_z
    16 years ago

Just to put my two-penn'orth in - as an ex-chess player, who used to take the game fairly seriously, I have to say that The Queen's Gambit is the only book I've ever read about chess that is in any way realistic. There are a couple of things I could be a bit picky about, but not seriously so - I thought it was very well done indeed. It really got the tension of chess over. Great book.

Actually, I've read one other fiction book which is even more realistic about the mechanics of chess and chess tournaments; it's called The Dragon Variation by Anthony Glyn. But my goodness, it's a bad book; only a chess-player could read it and have a chance of understanding it.

• lauramarie_gardener
    16 years ago

Dear Liz/Lemonhead:

I've read almost everything by Sedaris. Not sure about "Holidays on Ice", though. Will look it up. Thanks.

As for reading him in "The New Yorker", I did once -- a long and very depressing short story about his mother wanting a beach house ... and never getting one. So I don't look for Sedaris' short stories. Also, I don't care for his fantasy stories, which are sometimes stuck into the last section of his books.

• veronicae
    16 years ago

I am enjoying Bridge of Sighs. Once again I feel like I am familiar with Russo's characters and their neighborhood. The milk man used to give us slivers of ice from the back of the truck during the summer.

• pam53
    16 years ago

cindydavid-I love E. MacGregor! She has written some other books-all good! I don't have the titles off-hand.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

(please call me Cindy :)

Oh good - I am just about finished with this one, and would love to read more. If you think about the titles, lemme know.

I happened upon the new Ursula Hegi this eve - The Worst Ive Ever Done. She used to be an author I'd buy sight unseen, but I got burnt by her last few books. Anyone know anything about this one?

Next up is Pillars of the Earth - just picked it up at Borders for a bargain price. It will be the perfect book, as I am having minor surgery on Monday and will probably be laid up for a few days. Gosh darn, I'll have to spend it reading....

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

cindy - Speedy Recovery and Happy Reading! Here is something I have learned about coming home after surgery: Stay in your pajamas! Once you resume wearing regular clothing, everyone in your house thinks you are capable of your doing your typical daily (exhausting) work. So keep those PJ's on and milk it! Teri

• veer
    16 years ago

I picked up Going Places by Billy Hopkins for 10 pence is a jumble sale so shouldn't complain that is was a not very well written account of BH's life in the Irish/Liverpool community from the '50's onwards.
    His family disapprove of his going to college, of marrying a girl who's father sells insurance, of buying a car and even worse a house. They feel young men from his background should not undertake even more study nor go to work in the Commonwealth country of Kenya.
    Billy complains of black people being paid as servants but soon employs plenty of his own. He hates the school in which he works teaching boys along UK 'Public School' lines.
    Worst of all for the first half of the book, part of every chapter is about his problems with 'Family Planning'. As a devout Irish Catholic he seeks the advice of priests, older brothers, friends on how to avoid his wife becoming pregnant. Conflicting information, ranging from cold showers, separate rooms, praying lead to four children and much time spent in his local bar.

A book of a much higher quality but gritty realism was The Road Home by Rose Tremain.
    Lev comes to England from some ex 'Soviet Bloc' country and we follow his difficulties at finding work, shelter etc in London and in the vegetable fields of Norfolk. It doesn't make for pretty reading . . . but then immigration is a touchy subject over here at the moment, so the book 'hits the spot'.
    I was slightly surprised at the number of people Lev meets who seem to have a good working knowledge of Hamlet but then I don't live in the rarefied atmosphere of Highgate North London.

PAM, are you out there? How did you get on with the John Moore books? I felt as I had suggested them I should re-read Portrait of Elmbury and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in English country/small town life 'between the Wars'. The characters he describes would have been so familiar to me as a child living in a very similar place. Stratford, the market town where I grew up is only about twenty miles from Tewkesbury (Elmbury).
    We drove through T'bury recently and JM would turn in his grave if he saw all the new housing built right on the flood plains and submerged in this summer's devastating floods, the motorways clogged with traffic and the 'Industrial Warehousing' edging the town today.
    The price we pay for progress?

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>A book of a much higher quality but gritty realism was The Road Home by Rose Tremain.

I was so excited about another Tremain coming out, then found that its not going to be published here for another year or so. Aurgh! Sounds like its more of her excellent style - looking forward to it (and yes I know I can get it on Amazon UK but I don't want to pay the shipping cost it entails)

Teri, thanks for the most excellent advice! I will keep that in mind :)

• vickitg
    16 years ago

Read Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards! Fun, but not my favorite Pratchett. I then read The Alchemist, an interesting read, but not life-changing as some people claim. I'm now examining my TBR pile for the next pick. Hmmm

• pam53
    16 years ago

I am reading Ann Pancake's Strange As The Weather Has Been. What a wonderfully descriptive and well-written book. The subject matter is the effects of strip mining in West Virginia and various members of one family "speak" in each chapter. The author is a W.V. native and first novelist although I think it says on the back that she has written a book of short stories.
    I did read Alice Sebold's new book as I am one of those who loved The Lovely Bones. I read every page and tried hard to find something to redeem it, but the book is just too dark for me.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

I've come back to finally finish Alison Weir's "The Life of Elizabeth I." It has been anything but dull -- the whole connundrum with never-ending plots on the Queen's life, and the personality dynamics and interfacings between Raleigh, Essex, Southhampton, et al. Truth does indeed seem stranger than fiction....

• twobigdogs
    16 years ago

veer,
    thanks so much for thinking of me. You've quite startled me as I ordered the John Moore books, put them on my TBR pile with great delight, and promptly got sidetracked by other books and knitting. I popped Elmbury out ten seconds ago after I read your posting and shall begin TODAY. And I still need to identify and find the third book in the Brensham Village Trilogy. I have Brensham Village and The Blue Field. I quite envy your ability to get to so many of these wonderful places - tract housing and modern "improvements" aside!

I am mid-way through The Gathering which is going rather quickly as the print is large and the white space on the pages is copious. So far, it's okay. I am comparing her to other Irish authors like Brendan O'Carroll. I feel that her diction is somewhat forced and contrived, not at all natural and flowing, but that's just me. Maybe it'll get better.

I also read a really different and fun book called The Heroines by Eileen Favorite. It is due in stores in February. It is about a girl who lives in a big sprawling bed and breakfast run by her mother. The guests arrive unannounced. The guests are unusual because they are heroines from literature who need a break from their plots. Scarlet O'Hara, Madame Bovary, Ophelia, all stop by for a rest from their respective plotlines before disappearing as quickly as they arrived to return to their books. It is not deep, it is not traditional. It is light, it is fun. It is also quite short at only 231 pages.

Good Omens is on the backburner... so much to do, so many books to choose from and although it is fun, it's not yet totally sucked me in. This I attribute to my own schedule and it is not the book's fault.

PAM

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

I have been reading Barbara Pym's "Less Than Angels" which has been a quick and enjoyable read. I find her to be a little bit slow at times, but once I get in the right mood for that, I really enjoy her work. I read this one in just over a day so it can't be that bad!!

Next, after a trip to the library, I have "Ella Minnow Pea" to read. Looking forward to it as it's way outside what I usually read. Change is good for you!

Good luck on surgery, Cindy. Enjoy those pain meds! :-)

• sherwood38
    16 years ago

Just started Protect & Defend the new book by Vince Flynn - love that Mitch Rapp!

Pat

• vickitg
    16 years ago

I bought an Arthur Upfield mystery - The Bone is Pointed - at the last Friends of the Library sale, so that's what I've decided to read next.

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

Well, I thought I would start "Ella Minnow Pea", but in the interim, I came across "Good Night Mister Tom" by Michelle Magorian. It's a Puffin Modern Classic although I have not heard of it before. My mum has though that might be because she was a teacher as it's a YA, I think.

It's about a young evacuee called Willie as Britain stands on the edge of WWII. He ends up living with an old man and flourishes under his care... until his mum in London summons him back to London...

Apparently there is a good film of this. Must see if I can find it somewhere. The book itself was published in 1981 so not that old. Good though. I am enjoying it.

• sherwood38
    16 years ago

I saw the "Mr Tom" on PBS a few years ago-I think it was Albert Finney-very good-as usual!

Pat

• colormeconfused
    16 years ago

Cindy, best wishes for a speedy recovery but lots of reading time.

I've been in a bit of a reading slump this month, and as a result, haven't read anything too terribly challenging. I enjoyed Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino, the second of her books to be translated from Japanese to English. I thought Out was much better, though.

After that I moved on to Run by Ann Patchett with some trepidation after reading a rather uncomplimentary review of it in Newsweek. I did like it, though, and thought it was a fast, engrossing read. Likewise, Heartsick by Chelsea Cain was a very quick read and a nice twist on the old thriller/serial killer genre. I even read James Patterson's newest Cross novel (the only Patterson novels I read anymore), Double Cross, even though I always swear I won't read another as I often feel insulted by Patterson's assumption that readers can't concentrate on chapters that are more than two or three pages long.

I read this year's Man Booker Prize winner The Gathering by Anne Enright and was surprised to find that I did actually like it, unlike last year's winner.

I started reading Soul Catcher by Michael C. White, and after getting into the book several chapters, found that I just wasn't enjoying it and gave myself the lecture about how my TBR stack is too tall and life is too short to read something I'm not enjoying, so back to the library it goes. Now I can't decide whether to start Bridge of Sighs by Russo, World Without End by Follett, or The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle.

• jmey
    16 years ago

Cherry Lane: Greengage Summer is the only Rumer Godden novel I've read. As you know, I enjoyed it......can you recommend another novel of hers?

I've had my nose in "Sarah's Quilt" for the past few days. Another in a series of 3 novels by Nancy Turner. The novels were inspired by the author's great-grandmother's life in the Arizona Territories. I was almost hesitant to read the second book because I enjoyed the first(These Is My Words) so much, I didn't want to be disappointed. It was a page turner..... although I did prefer the journal format used in the first book.

I picked up "Love in the time of Cholera" at the bargain table last week. Also "Ella Minnow Pea" and "Life of Pi" from the library.

Still on hold at the library is "Eat, Pray, Love". I've read so much negative stuff about this book.....still would like to read it, but not as much enthusiam. Anyone like it?

woodnymph: "Septembers in Shiraz" sounds interesting as I loved ATSS. I'm purposely waiting until after Christmas for that one or won't get anything done!

• veer
    16 years ago

PAM, look no further, you already have the 'Brensham Trilogy' Portrait of Elmbury, Brensham Village and The Blue Field.

Liz, some years ago my daughter brought home from school Goodnight Mister Tom and I read it (although I never censured her reading). Although well-written I felt many scenes in it could be most disturbing to a 10 year old child.
    Setting aside the unlikely premise that a small boy, even in 1940, would be put in the care of an almost-tramp/vagrant character, the parts with the mad, religious fanatic mother and being locked up in a cupboard for days with a dead baby are rather strong stuff for children. Even from an adult's point of view many of the 'happenings' are down-right unpleasant.
    How did you feel about it?

• netla
    16 years ago

I'm reading several books, but would especially like to mention A Scandalous Life by Jane Lovell. It's a biography (one of several) of Jane Digby, a was a 19th century English noblewoman who became quite a scandalous figure when her husband divorced her on the basis of infidelity and consequently she had a number of love affairs, married several times and ended her life in Syria as the wife of a Beduin sheikh. It's an interesting read, well written and obviously meticulously researched.

• georgia_peach
    16 years ago

I finished Judith Berman's Bear Daughter and really liked it (thanks for the rec, Rosefolly!). It's refreshing to read a female coming-of age/quest fantasy, and one based on Native American culture rather than the usual quasi-European.

Now, I'm reading Louise Erdrich's Love Medicine. I read The Antelope Wife earlier this year, and loved it, so thought I'd try more of hers.

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

Vee -

I agree with you about the content of Mr Tom being a bit strong for a 10 year old. I have a 10 year old nephew and I think that would be a bit much for him and he's not particularly sensitive or anything. The dead baby scene was pretty graphic, I thought - do they have that in the film?

It was a good read, but I am not sure if I would give to a child who wasn't ready for it. Is the film as graphic?

I enjoyed Zach in the book though. He was a character!

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

I've been reading Isak Dinesen's "Out of Africa" and "Shadows on the Grass." Wonderful descriptions of the various folkways of the differing tribes, ca. 1937, in what was Kenya, as well as of the fauna and flora. Dinesen is truly gifted in describing landscapes and folkways. (I had never read this before, even after the film came out many years ago).

• veer
    16 years ago

Liz, the 'Mr Tom' thing was made as an ITV play over here with John (Morse) Thaw in the main role although, I can't remember that much about its details.

And while on the TV theme, last night we saw the first one hour episode of Cranford with Judi Dench as Miss Mattie. I hope it arrive in the US soon as I think you will all really enjoy it. The script writers have put together all the Mrs Gaskell Cranford stories to make the thread of 'change/modernisation with the coming of the railways to the countryside' the main underlying theme.
    A delightful way to spend a Sunday evening.

This morning Judi Dench gave a beautiful reading of a poem composed by Andrew Motion, at Westminster Abbey, during a special ceremony to commemorate HM Queen's Diamond Wedding. I don't know if these sort of events are shown on US TV . . . and I was interested to read some time ago that a US RP'er felt that the British Royal Family were no more than a historical anachronistic curiosity. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond Wedding

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

> don't know if these sort of events are shown on US TV . .

Oh, I wish! Thanks for the link. And hopefully that Crawford program makes it over here; I think I have officially watched every tv program and movie Dench has been in and I am dying for more. Wonder - are there DVDs with her theatrical performances?

Well into Pillars on the Earth and am liking it as much as I did when it first came out. Good thing I brought it because my surgery was a bit delayed ....but everything is fine.

• carolyn_ky
    16 years ago

I have just finished World Without End and liked it equally as well as Pillars of the Earth. It was similar in feel, with a descendant of Tom Builder as one of the main characters. These books should go on the long book thread. WWE was 1,000 pages.

• veer
    16 years ago

I have just started Beatrix Potter A Life in Nature by Linda Lear, very well-researched; will probably keep me going 'til Christmas.

Re Judi Dench below are some eg's of early TV plays she was in. I don't imagine any of her stage performances were ever filmed in situ

Here is a link that might be useful: Judi Dench DVD's

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for that, veer. I found it on Amazon US and its now on my wish list! I also found A Simple Romance that I kept meaning to get.

Yeah, I figured her older performances wouldn't have been filmed, but maybe audiotaped? One of the coolest parts of visiting the New Globe Theatre was listening to tapes of famous actors in their performances. Listening to Judi Dench and Maggie Smith in those was outstanding.

I am home for the week, and am attempting to read Pillars of the Earth. My eye isn't comfortable enough for me to spend a lot of time reading, but I am, little by little. I love it, probably more than when I first read it - the historical background I've gained over the last 20 years has really helped me get more out of the story!

• lemonhead101
    16 years ago

Glad to hear that you are on the mend, Cindy.

I have started a funny little book called "Life with Mother Superior" by Jane Trahey. It was written in the 1960's and she has a great sense of humor about being in a school being taught by nuns. She was pretty naughty (according to this tale) but makes me laugh all the same. Again, I think it's another RP recommendation and a hit!

Thanks to whoever recommended it - sorry, can't remember who it was.

liz

• carolyn_ky
    16 years ago

Cindy, I forgot to wish you well when I posted yesterday. Sorry!

• friedag
    16 years ago

Liz, I've mentioned Life with Mother Superior many times because it has been a favorite of mine since it first came out. I love the part about the father being aghast at the awful white dress Jane was expected to wear. Mary Clancy and Jane were a pair! The announcement at the graduation always makes me cry.

The 1966 film titled "The Trouble with Angels" with Hayley Mills as Mary and Rosalind Russell as Mother Superior was based on Trahey's book, though the character based on Jane had a name change. It's a funny little film, but not nearly so good as the book.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey carolyn, thanks! Im doing well - can't read as much as I want, but I don't seem to have any trouble doing some holiday shopping (a little bit for them, a little bit for me..... :)

Oh I loved The Trouble With Angels; didn't realize it was based on a book.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I got through half of Pillars and am tossing it in the trade pile. I am now wondering if I actually read this book, coz I don't remember it being this bad. (WARNING WILL ROBINSON....SPOILERS ABOUND!)

This book badly needs an editor, one who will keep his descriptions of every minutea (sp) of daily life to a minimum, one who would stop his constant reminders that so and so is sooooo horribly ugly, that this woman has unruly red hair (which in that day and age wouldn't be the case, it would be hidden), that her big dark eyes opened wide, it might have been readable. Said editor could also have told him to make the building of the cathedrals reflect the grandeur of these buildings, rather than a blow by blow description of every little thing (it read like a how to manual). Basically, his research was showing, something that is not good in historical fiction.

The story of Tom itself was really well done, and if he just stuck with that, and his cathedral it could have been a shorter, tighter, more interesting book. But aside from Tom, every other character was cardboard. Each person was either good or bad. There was little complexity to them, little growth.

But two things that really did it to me: the anachronisms, and gratuitious sex and violence Every other page had an example of either something out of place in the time period (the uncovered hair was the most glaring) or 20th century speech coming out of 12th century characters. AS to the gratuitious sex and violence - it was so unnecessary. Yes, it was a violent time. But why was it necessary to graphically detail every single murder in bloody detail? There were several descriptions of rape here that could have come off a police blotter, it was so detailed. This last was really creepy - the really bad bad character was a horribly self centered noble's son who thought it great fun to cause misery and death. He has fantasies about this young noble girl that were so over the top that I had to wonder if these were of the character, or of the author. When he finally does rape her, brutally and repeatedly, the author spares no details. And this happens several times throughout the book. Again, it makes me wonder about the author, more than gives me the sense that this young man is evil incarnate.

The political angle between various chuch members and various nobles were interesting, but again each incident was black or white - he did not show the complexity that I am sure was involved in each situation.

Ok, thats enough. If you want to know more about 12th century England, start with the Caedfael series. Then move on to Sharon Kay Penman, start with There Be Dragons, and continue on until When Christ and his Saints Slept, an incredibly well told tale about Englands first devastating civil war.

And no, I won't be reading the sequel. I do need to read something tho that will get the bad taste of this book out of my head. Mary Modern has been recommended several...

• rouan
    16 years ago

Bumblebeez,

Georgette Heyer is one of my favorite authors. My personal favorites of hers are: Venetia, These Old Shades,and The Talisman Ring.

My thanks to whoever recommended Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. I enjoyed reading it. It was perfect for a light, fun escape from work/housework etc.

Another book that I read and liked this month was Invisible Lives, by Anjali Bannerjee. A review I read about this book suggests that it's a takeoff of Mistress of Spices by Chita Banerjee (I forget the rest of her name....sigh - something like Divukarina, and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and check my booklist) that I read some years ago. I need to re-read it and see if that is the case.

• vickitg
    16 years ago

Okay, Cindy, now tell us what you really think. LOL. Actually, I'm glad to see someone actually feels the same way that I do about Pillars, I couldn't finish it. In fact, I stopped pretty early on, thank goodness, so I didn't get to all the horrors you described above. But I'm with you, it sure needed a good strong edit.

• dorieann
    16 years ago

I finally read What the Dickens by Gregory Maguire, a YA novel I purchased by accident. I did enjoy it however, very cute spin on the Tooth Fairy legend. The story itself appears geared to the very young, but the writing seems geared toward the more mature children. I cant' decide, not having read many YA books. Anyway, regardless of age, there are a couple of storyline threads not resolved at the end of the book, which I would imagine would irritate anyone regardless of age. I'm now planning to donate this one to our public library.

Next I read Origin, an atmospheric mystery by Diana Abu-Jaber that is set in Syracuse. Good enough story overall, but it didn't quite live up to the rave review I'd heard. I had problems with the dialogue, which didn't seem realistic.

Anyway, now I'm on to a thriller by Zoë Sharp, First Drop. Charlie Fox is a young woman just starting her first job as a bodyguard. She's assigned to guard an irritating teenage boy and manages to save his life after an attempt is made at a local amusement park. Charlie then discovers that her boss (and lover) have disappeared, along with the family of the boy. I'm really enjoying it so far, and glad Sharp has another one just out in the States. I'll definitely be reading more.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I enjoyed Pillars, particularly the details about everything. But the rape scene! I don't read those kind of books, however, that is typical Follet. I reread Triple recently and it was the same stereotypical man thing: beautiful, young girl in love with smart but unattractive (although wiry) middle aged man.
    I did like all the machinations with the priests but Tom's story was dull.

I am trying to go through Heyers books slooowly so they'll last!
    I haven't read The Talisman Ring or These Old Shades yet
    but I will eventually. She has such an interesting take on what is acceptable. A few of the characters are too unattractive for me to like; I believe the girl with the stutter, A Convenient Marriage?, Horry? nothing appealing about her.
    But Dameral in Venetia, so out of the norm! He has debts that she'll take care of, now that was novel for a romance book.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Cindi, thanks for the headsup about the Follett book. I will not rush and look for this one, as was my habit.

I am about to finish up Isak Dinesen's "Out of Africa" and "Shadows in the Grass." What beautiful, lyrical writing! I am sorry to see this come to an end. I feel as if I had been to what was Kenya, met a Masai warrior and seen the Rift Valley. There is no one else to compare to this author, IMHO. I can scarcely believe this sat on my shelf, unread, for almmost 20 years!

Now, what will be next???

• sherwood38
    16 years ago

I am currently reading the latest by Lorna Landvik-The View From Mount Joy. It is an interesting character study of teens & high school in the 70's but as yet ( about 1/2 way through it) I am not as impressed with it as her earlier books which I really enjoyed.

Pat

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bumblebeez, there was also a scene, just before I gave up on the book, where he rapes a prostitute. Just as graphic. Really makes me wonder about this author

Those of you who like books that play a bit with time (not necessarily time travel) might enjoy the book I am currently reading: Mary Modern. It takes place in the near future where a genetic scientist is able to clone her grandmother. The book shifts from the time periods of the grandmother, mother and daughter, and does so in a way that doesn't jolt you (plus she actually tells you the date at the beginning!). The characters are quirky, but ones I'd love to meet. Beautiful writing that doesn't get in the way of a story - just a nice, gentle, but very interesting read. There is a moment in the book where you have to make a huge stretch with your sense of believability. But once you do, the story just gets better. Someone compared it to Time Travelers Wife - well maybe in the way that time is played with, or in how the themes of memory and loss entertwine, but besides that, not much the same, so if you didn't like TTW, try this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Modern