November Reading
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (126)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
When to stop watering?
Comments (6)August and September are often the driest (and sometimes the hottest months) of the year in the Puget Sound area. Continue watering until the fall rains begin.....that can vary widely but typically October is a reasonable time to start tapering off. We may not get lots of rain even then but temperatures cool down enough so that evaporation of soil moisture is much less of an issue. I've never heard of backing off of watering to "harden plants off" - hardening off is typically associated with increasing cold hardiness. Watering should continue as long as the soil dries out rapidly and the need remains. Well-established plants will require less than those newly or more recently planted. And always water smartly - deeply but infrequently rather than lightly and often. Less frequent but deep irrigation will encourage plants to develop deep root systems and increased drought tolerance so they don't require as much water. Mulching well will also help to conserve soil moisture and reduce the need for supplemental irrigation, too. Sometimes it is even necessary to water in winter.......but not very often :-)...See MoreWhat are we reading in November?
Comments (59)I finished The Secrets Between Us by Thrity Umrigar. I really like her writing style. This is the second novel I've read by her. It was a sequel, but can be read as a standalone. I just started The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama. I have no idea where the recommendation came from and had a hard time finding the book. My library system doesn't carry it so they had to order it from another county. I realized why when I got the book - it was published over 20 years ago. She has written about 10 books and oddly enough, I noticed I added three of her other books to my TBR list on Goodreads way back in 2012 and 2014 but not this one. And I still haven't read the others. It's starting off well, about a Chinese young man who goes to a family vacation home in Japan at the outset of WW2 to recuperate (he has TB)....See MoreWhat are you reading? November 2022 Edition
Comments (78)I haven't posted in a while. I've read a hodgepodge of books lately. None of them that fantastic, but mostly entertaining. This one though, was disappointing, Bittersweet: How Sorrow and Longing Make Us Whole by Susan Cain. Early in the pandemic, I read her previous book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. As an introvert myself, this book was so enlightening, and gave me such a different perspective about people like me and how society, employers/bosses, teachers, etc make assumptions about introverts. It was fantastic. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about Bittersweet. Very disjointed, repetitive, only a few tidbits of interesting info. 2 stars Northern Spy by Flynn Berry. A fast-paced, enjoyable thriller set in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately a few very big holes/flaws in the story line left me feeling a bit annoyed - reading some reviews after I finished the book, I see I'm not the only one who was dismayed the flaws made it past the editor. 3 stars The Kill Artist by Daniel Silva. Not my typical genre but I helped me pass the time on daily walk. Good narration. 3 stars A Map for the Missing by Belinda Huijuan Tang. It dragged a bit at times, but an overall good read. For a debut novel, the writing was quite good. 3.5-4 stars. Weeks ago, I borrowed a book that my county library system does not own, The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson. My library borrowed it from another county on my behalf. Since I mostly read on my Kindle these days, I just kept forgetting to start this one as it got hidden under some magazines. I got a notice it had reached its renewal limit and is due back tomorrow, so I started it in earnest yesterday. I really like her writing style, reminds me of William Kent Krueger - it's a coming of age novel in a small town in Canada. I managed to make it through a third of the book yesterday and hoping to finish another third today....See MoreNovember--Read any good books lately?
Comments (83)Ginny, I realize that Ireland is not part of Great Britain, but I have always thought it was considered part of the British Isles, that being a geographic term, not a political one. I had not considered that Ireland might be touchy about that. Rouan, what do you think of the Becky Chambers book? She is getting a lot of attention in SF circles these days, but the one of her books I read did not excite me. (It was not the one you are reading.)...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your November Home Checklist
Give your home a festive holiday air without running out of steam, and stay safe and snug as temperatures drop
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your November Home Checklist
Winterize your home and yard, and make a game plan for the holidays
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSNovember Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Prep for holiday entertaining and the onslaught of winter to enjoy a healthy home and a relaxed mood
Full Story
CALIFORNIA GARDENINGCalifornia Gardener's November Checklist
In a season of traditions, let's take advantage of California's familiar — as well as quirky — planting opportunities
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESPacific Northwest Gardener's November Checklist
Set a festive mood with a container garden while preserving and protecting your landscape and water features
Full Story
CALIFORNIA GARDENINGSouthern California Gardener's November Checklist
Sow wildflower seeds while ye may, give berries some love and pay attention to produce for garden veggies all winter long
Full Story0

NATIVE PLANTSAutumn Joy: How to Get 3 Months of Fall Flowers
Enjoy blooms from September to November by mixing 6 asters native to different areas of the U.S.
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGHouzz Tour: Off-the-Grid Island Home Circles a Sunny Courtyard
A circular home is a cozy spot for gardening, woodworking and plenty of reading
Full Story
MORE ROOMSSunrooms Shine in Different Ways
Whether they're used as reading nooks, gathering spaces or just places for daydreaming, these sunrooms gleam with light and functionality
Full Story
friedag