SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan_1

Second Annual Christmas-time Bookmark Exchange

J C
12 years ago

So who wants to exchange bookmarks this year? As many of you know, this is great fun and puts a zing in the holiday season. I hope there is enough interest to do it two years in a row. Actually, if even one other person wants to participate, that is enough for an exchange, isn't it? But hopefully there will be more than one.

- Anything that can be used as a bookmark is okay, ie. postcards, torn ticket stubs, laundry receipts, etc. Homemade bookmarks and creativity welcome but not necessary.

- Participants will be capped at 25, although I don't think this will be a problem.

- Send me an email with your name, address, and name used at RP. Here is my top secret addy - silence is golden 4 at hot mail dot com. I should also receive messages sent by clicking on my name here.

For the record, I am the first person in my village to display my holiday lights this year. Yes, I hung up colored lights today and plugged them in, toasting the occasion with a glass of wine. They will do for Columbus Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's, and Valentines Day. Hey, this is Maine, it is DARK here.

So, let's go, hope to hear from you!

Comments (113)

• ccrdmrbks
    12 years ago

Siobhan,
    fyi: I just got two "from" you, quite quickly-I checked source without opening and found your email-both had "Boothbay ME" in the subject line. It looked like they went out to everyone in your address book from the "c" page. organized little troll, isn't it?
    I sent them to spam and then trash.

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, and this happened last year too - I think some determined troll is getting my email from here - next year I will do things differently although it will be more time consuming.

I'm sure everyone knows this, but do not open anything in these emails. Mark them as spam or phishing scams and delete.

• Related Discussions

Second Annual Tomato and Pepper Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (1)
    I was able to confirm the US and International postage costs sooner than I expected. If there is anyone from the US that would like to join in the exchange, you would need to send $1.24 (Canadian or US dollars) to pay for return postage. International participants need to send $2.48 (including tax). If you are outside of Canada you can pay for the return postage either by sending concealed cash with your seeds, or you could remit payment via paypal. If you're sending a bubble envelope, please just send a regular bubble envelope and not the heavy cardboard insulated type. Rate restrictions in this price category is 50g. Also, the envelope should not exceed 6.1 x 9.6 inches (156mm x 245mm). We had a number of participants from the US and internationally last year, and a great variety. We look forward to you joining in the exchange. Please let me know if you have any questions. .....Heather
    ...See More

Christmas Bookmark Exchange!

Q

Comments (71)
    When the cards and bookmarks arrived I peeked into the envelope to see them and then stacked them up until after Christmas to enjoy. Today I finally had time to go through them and remove the wonderful bookmarks. They are now in my rather large (and growing) stack of bookmarks from which I randomly pull one for each new book. Thank you all so much for the bookmarks and for making the holidays that much more enjoyable! P.S. My envelopes were removed from my mailbox before the mail was delivered and while I think a second mailman probably took them I have not been sure so I hope you did receive one from me.
    ...See More

2009 Christmas bookmark exchange, continued

Q

Comments (15)
    How I chose MY bookmark design... The last time we did this, I used a basic design I had learned from the children's librarian I was assistant to in my previous home. I wanted to do something homemade again, but different. I don't think I'm a very creative person so it took a while to come up with the idea. I had received a folded, magnetic bookmark (I think from the last bookmark exchange) and thought that would be something different. I experimented with different types of scrapbook paper but my biggest challenge was getting the magnet parts. I found the magnets at a local scrapbook store but couldn't find the steel piece for the magnet's counterpart. That's where my DH came in. He found something that would work, cut it into pieces and spray painted them and voila! I had the other part I needed for the bookmarks. And you all should have yours by now (I hope).
    ...See More

2017 Bookmark Exchange

Q

Comments (77)
    Chiming in to say that, as a Southern girl, we were all brought up to say to our elders: "Yes, Sir" and "No, M'am." Of course that has gone the way of the dinosaur now. Once in a great while, now that I live in Charleston, SC, I hear some of the college students use these terms to their elders. As for "you guys" and "y'all", I am afraid that both are here to stay. It is just part of the changing slang of the American scene. Language is a living entity, not engraved in stone, although, there is a movement to bring back spoken Latin.... I am in a French conversation group. When I use slang I learnt in Paris in the 60's, I am corrected by our native Francaise, who will tell me: "Oh that is so outdated; we now have a new slang term for so and so, etc." And so it goes...
    ...See More
  • carolyn_ky
    12 years ago

I'm writing everyone's name on the back of the bookmarks I have received. I am in the group that opens them immediately, and your all's put me to shame. And, "The bookmarks are in the mail" from me.

Siobhan, I did get two emails from you and opened the first one after seeing the Boothbay. I won't do it again!

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Carolyn, what a very good idea!

I have participated in three of the four bookmark exchanges we have held, two of the three that Siobhan coordinated, as well as the the very first one that Janalyn arranged some years back. I still have most of the bookmarks, and would love to know who sent them!

Rosefolly

• Kath
    12 years ago

I have received lots of beautiful and interesting bookmarks: thanks to Christine, Vee, Pam (great photo of George Gissing!) yoyobon, phaedosia, Rosefolly, Veronicae and Siobhan.

As always, I love the diversity. Photos/paintings of places you live, libraries, hobbies, homemade, with quotes - I love them all!

• veer
    12 years ago

Siobhan. re the trolls getting hold of your email address. I know this might be teaching you Grandmother to suck eggs (if so please disregard) but what we have learnt to do when ordering an item/contacting an unknown person by email . . . is . . . before the @ on your address line write some 'short code' eg. to someone here at RP add rp then @ followed by the rest of your email address. When the kids write to Santa Claus (email is SO useful if you don't have a chimney) put sc@. . . .
    It wont stop the trolls but at least you will know where they are coming from.
    The DH started it a while ago and recently when he began to get endless scam emails from 'Banks' 'Building Societies' 'Con Artists' etc. All these emails came from an original email he had sent to a garden-supply firm. He complained loudly to the company, they apologised but, although it was a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted, at least he knew the folks/gnomes in the garden-supply mail room were not to be trusted.

• yoyobon_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for the wonderful bookmarks.
    Each one was so interesting and thoughtful.
    I loved them all!!

• rouan
    12 years ago

I've received several bookmarks at the new address, so I don't know what the problem is yoyobon, unless you mailed it out before I put a change of address in at the post office (they're supposed to forward all my mail so even if you used my previous address it should have been forwarded).

I was all set to address and mail my cards when I realized that none of the bookmarks I had gathered (I wasn't going to make them this year due to my moving to a new place) would fit in the envelopes. So, my choice was either to buy new cards or go through the boxes to find my scrapbooking materials and make cards. In the end I decided to make them since I have so many boxes of cards I really don't need any more. Therefore my cards are being mailed out a little later than I had planned, tomorrow (12/19), with apologies in advance for those that don't receive them until after Christmas.

It's been fun receiving all the cards and bookmarks so even though this was a busy and stressful time I am glad I participated. :)

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are right, Vee, and if I had been thinking I would have done so and taken a couple of other steps besides. I had forgotten about getting hacked last year (or maybe the year before...oh memory oh memory oh memory). If I do this next year I will set up an email address strictly for the exchange and possibly even use RP email as a go-between, although that is a lot of extra work as everything has to be sent individually rather than as an email list. But it is not right to put anyone at risk of picking up computer gremlins and I want everyone to feel comfortable, so I will be more careful in the future.

I still haven't opened my envelopes - they are piled on my Christmas display, tempting me. But I am glad I waited. I think I will open them Christmas Day. I have to work Christmas Eve night into Christmas Day, which pretty effectively kills any Christmas Day plans. I can't really stumble home at 7 AM, sleep for a couple of hours and then show up at a friend's house for dinner with any vestige of sociability. So I will sleep all day and then wake up to find that Santa has brought me a lot of cards with lovely bookmarks.

• yoyobon_gw
    12 years ago

Ruan,
    I took the envelope and contents to my local PO and asked for an explanation.
    They had none.
    They are submitting it to the post master ( ?) and hopefully at some point it will show up in your mailbox !

It is a mystery because the address and zip were correct.
    They surmised that perhaps there was a substitute carrier on that day and he might have messed up.
    ????
    Imagine how the postal service is going to limp along after March when all the cuts and closings begin.

• frances_md
    12 years ago

I'm somewhere in between those who open their bookmarks immediately and those who save them. I open them and peek inside at the bookmarks and then immediately close the envelope and stack them up to be enjoyed later. My will power won't let me wait without at least peeking.

So far I've seen really wonderful bookmarks that say something about the sender and that makes them so special. Thanks so much to everyone!

• rouan
    12 years ago

Yoyobon,

I"m looking forward to receiving it! It will help with the let down feeling I get after something long awaited and anticipated is over; now I have something still to look forwart to. :)

• sheriz6
    12 years ago

I just sat down with a glass of wine and opened my envelopes. I'd opened a few already, but this past week has been crazy, so I put the rest aside as they arrived until I could pay attention and enjoy them.

What a pleasure to open -- thank you all so much, they're delightful! I've received twelve so far, and they've put such a smile on my face.

• phaedosia
    12 years ago

Still more pouring in. My four-year-old daughter has been opening them with me and then she tapes each one of the cards they come in on the back of our front door. It looks very festive! Thanks everyone!

• martin_z
    12 years ago

I've got a goodly number already - thanks to all of you.

I'm a bit slow off the mark in actually sending - it's just been an incredibly busy pre-Christmas. But, for the first time in several years, I have the time off between Christmas and New Year...SOOOO...please look out for your belated bookmarks early in the New Year.

• lemonhead101
    12 years ago

I have just opened my collection and what fun! Lots of very different ones reflecting the variety of interests we have here at RP...

Thanks to all!

• donnamira
    12 years ago

I have been opening mine as they arrive, and they are all delightful! I'm going to find an old spoon holder and display them all on my Christmas table. :)

I finally mailed mine this week - so apologies to those who will receive them late!

Cheryl

• twobigdogs
    12 years ago

Thank you, thank you! Each and every bookmark is delightful and interesting. It was so special to have all of these early gifts to open. Now, as I read through 2012, I will have many lovely choices to mark my place.

PAM

• Kath
    12 years ago

I made a mistake earlier in naming those from whom I have received a bookmark, as now I have too little time to check who I have mentioned and who not! Thank you one and all!

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I just got yours, Kath, thanks!

I'm going to follow suit and just thank everyone. What a delightful experience this has been.

Rosefolly

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have not opened mine yet! They are waiting for tomorrow. I'm off to work now, enjoy everyone!

• yoyobon_gw
    12 years ago

I finally decided how to keep all the wonderful bookmarks received in the past three exchanges.
    I fashioned a box from an old, beautiful ( but very damaged inside) copy of Little Women with a full color picture cover.
    I removed the insides ( remember they were horribly damaged !)
    and created fabric covered sides and liners with foam board.
    These were hot glued to the edges of the back cover and spine with the front cover lifting up.

Or....you can do a bit more work and create a hollowed out book using this link and the directions shown.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollow Book

• pam53
    12 years ago

I very Merry Christmas and thank you one and all for the lovely bookmarks. I will enjoy them all year. Thinking of you all-pam53

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have begun opening my bookmarks a few at a time. All I can say is WOW! We have done this a few times and it just keeps getting better!

In no particular order -

Vee - you are most welcome however you arrive - if you paddle across the Atlantic, I can promise a brass band on arrival!

Frances - I don't know whether to use it or frame it! Beautiful!

Wolfseeker - I think I will put both the card and the bookmark on my tree, I love it!

Donnamira - I'm a space fan from way back and I have just the book for this one.

Rosefolly - Beautiful colors and workmanship. I still see you in cashmere and diamonds working in your rose garden -

Yvonne - So imaginative and so true. I completely relate to the pig -

Veronica - I can just picture the quilt show with you and your friend - wish I could have been there. I love magnetic bookmarks, so very useful -

Back to opening -

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pam53 - So pretty and reminds me of my own snowy little village. I love the colors!

Lemonhead - I adore the picture from Old Bear and the bookplates already have a home -

Sheri - Just when I think they can't get any nicer or more fun, I open yours - thank you!

Rouan - I am so glad you could participate even with your move - the bookmark is beautiful!

Carolyn - I did a double take when I opened this - central Kentucky looks a lot like Maine! And I am a member of the 'Green Team' at work - I think we need to make bookmarks...hmmm...

PAM - I just put New Grub Street on my Kindle (must figure out how to use bookmarks with Kindle)

Phaedosia - Does this little girl resemble yours? I notice it is from Owl Square Press, don't they have wonderful things?

Christine - Personalized and giftwrapped! This one went right on my tree, thank you!

And to think the mailbox will be holding a couple more in days to come - thank you all from the bottom of my heart for making this very special and rewarding. Best wishes for the rest of the holidays and for much good reading to come in 2012.

• rouan
    12 years ago

I visited one of my sisters over Christmas and tried to log on to RP from her computer but it wouldn't let me. I don't know what the problem was, but I have had no problems from my own computer.

Anyway, belated Merry Christmas to all of you. I love all the bookmarks I've received. I think I may have one or two yet to arrive so am looking forward to that.

Yoyobon, I finally did receive yours; the post office had marked it as a second attempt, but it did show up!

Thank you all for your well wishes on my new home and life. I am so glad I participated in this exchange. :)

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kath's arrived today; mail is delivered by donkey cart here. I laughed out loud when I read the quote, so true! Incidentally I use your bookmark from last year every day as it landed in my book of devotions. I enjoy seeing Whisky's soulful face.

Every year of the exchange is better than the year before, although it doesn't seem possible.

• stoneangel
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for the lovely bookmarks! I am REALLY sorry but I am a real late bird this year; work, a chest cold and marital discord had me tied up until Christmas (and unfortunately beyond). They are in the mail, with an apology in each card :( Thanks again for the bookmarks, each of them are so unique. They cheered me up when I really needed it.

I wish each of you and happy and healthy New Year with much joy and interesting reading! Who knows what 2012 holds!

• twobigdogs
    12 years ago

Yes, I know I already said many thank you's. I loved each one and so did the devoted readers at work.
    Siobhan, please let me be the first to say, "Put me on the list for next year!"
    PAM

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry to hear you have had some troubles, stoneangel, and I hope things are better. And I hope getting the bookmarks cheered you up a little. I for one am very glad that there are a still a couple to look forward to. Happy New Year!

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Stoneangel, no apology needed. We will enjoy them just as much when they arrive. I hope things are going better for you as the new year begins.

Siobhan, Pam beat me to it, but do please put me down for the next year's exchange (the fifth in total, and the fourth annual one-- give yourself full credit for all the work you have done!).

Rosefolly

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, I will! I am so glad everyone enjoys it. It is one of the few things in life that is just all gravy and no gristle. Now that I have done it several times, it isn't very much work and I know exactly what to do. (Next year there will be no hacking, I promise.) However, as always, if there is someone with a burning desire to take over, I will hand over the reins.

It has been really fun and a great highlight of the season for me.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I am tidying up my sewing room, and of course I just came across the bookmarks I bought months and months ago for this year's exchange, but could not find. So I really am ready for 2012!

Rosefolly

• carolyn_ky
    12 years ago

No fair, rosefolly, to be ready for next year. I would like to participate again, too, and I'm going to try harder. You all have put me to shame.

• rouan
    12 years ago

I would like to participate again next year (you can never have enough bookmarks!)as well. I might even break down and buy some instead of making them, but maybe not.... :)

• sheriz6
    12 years ago

I've loved all the bookmarks and this has been so much fun! Add me to the list for next year, too, please :)

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I'm going to try to remember a great idea I picked up from two participants, Wolfseeker and Sheri, both of whom dated their bookmarks. I plan to sign 'Rosefolly' and put the year on the back of all the ones I send out next year. I followed Carolyn's suggestion to put names of the senders on the back of each one that I received. If there was someone else, please speak up so I can give you credit as well.

Rosefolly

• Kath
    12 years ago

Since I make mine on Photoshop, it has been easy to put my name and the date on, but I also write on the back of those I receive. It's just another little link to the fellow RPer when I choose a bookmark for a new book.

Can I just join in the thanks to Siobhan and say that I will also be in next year - I had better start hunting for a good quote now *g*

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Thanks for speaking up, Kath! I knew there was someone I had missed crediting, but I just couldn't remember which person it was. My apologies.

R

• christine_a
    12 years ago

First, let me apologize for my being late to the party. We have had numerous problems with our internet provider which has prevented me from logging on.

Thanks to all of you for such beautiful and interesting bookmarks! I had some friends over the holidays and I was showing off my new bookmarks. Some of my friends were trying to stow my new treasures into their books! Well, as you could imagine, I had to put a stop to that!

It has been great fun to receive them all and also to brag just a smidge, about how wonderful my books will be marked throughout the year!

• pam53
    12 years ago

I just want to thank everyone again for the wonderful bookmarks. Everyone I showed them to was envious-and yes, put me down for next year. It is such fun!

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just purchased, on sale of course, some great cards for next year. They are so nice I wish I could send them now! I have to make sure that I get bookmarks that will fit. Maybe I will make them next year. I also have to make sure that I don't misplace the cards. :)

(Next year? This year! Tempus fugit and all that.)

• lemonhead101
    12 years ago

Good planning, Siobhan... :-)

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just got stoneangel's and what a nice surprise! I laughed out loud at both the card and the bookmark. Thank you!

• phaedosia
    12 years ago

Just when I thought the fun was over until next year, stoneangel's came in the mail--thank you! As always, this has been so wonderful. Thanks for setting it up, Siobhan--and yes, my daughter does resemble the little girl on the bookmark, except she's blonde.

• rouan
    12 years ago

I received stoneangel's in the mail yesterday too. It was a treat, as I'm sure the rest of you will agree. :)

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

And me as well. Thanks, Stoneangel.

I have not gone back to count, but I think that is the end. And we are already getting prepared for next year.

Rosefolly

• J C
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think we have one left, from Martin.

• veer
    12 years ago

Siobhan, many thanks for taking the trouble to organise this exchange. And thanks to everyone for their many different cards and book marks. I kept mine displayed separately from the other 'family' cards!
    Is your postal system in chaos/meltdown? (I know the UK one is) some cards arrived from the US within 3 days and others posted on the same day took 3 weeks. ;-(
    I think Martin's card was possibly lost in the post . . .

• stoneangel
    12 years ago

You're all very welcome and thank you everyone for the kind words! I am glad that my tardiness helped extend the holiday cheer :) I promise not to be late next time. Hopefully I will be in a better situation, touch wood. Until then, I can always look at my wonderful collection of bookmarks when I need a pick-me-up!