SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhan_1

Christmas Bookmark Exchange!

J C
11 years ago

I've been meaning to post something, but Rouan reminded me there is no time like the present!

Once again it is time for our world-famous bookmark exchange. All are welcome, but I will limit the participants to 25. (This shouldn't be a problem.) Lurkers welcome. Newbies welcome. Come one, come all.

Rules:

1. Don't talk about bookmark exchange.

2. Don't talk about bookmark exchange.

No, really, there aren't rules. Just suggestions. You send a bookmark to everyone else. You receive bookmarks from everyone else. A bookmark can be just about anything that is flat and can be used to mark the place in a book.

Because of the problems we have had the last couple of years with spammers I will have you contact me through this website. It's a little more work for me but it is much better than dealing with the weird messages that can result from my posting my email address here. However, if anyone has my old email address, it is still valid. I've used it for years.

If you want to participate, send me an email through this site with your mailing address. If you have an address change from last year, please so indicate.

I have no idea what I'm going to send. Nothing has caught my eye yet. I would like to make something, but I'm not sure what. I do, however, have loads of holiday cards of all sizes and shapes that need using. So let's exchange bookmarks!

Comments (71)

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Siobhan, I received the list this morning. Thanks again for organizing this, it's so much fun to get presents in the mail!

• carolyn_ky
    11 years ago

Received, with thanks.

• Related Discussions

The Second Annual Readers Paradise Bookmark Exchange

Q

Comments (84)
    Another bookmark exchange comes to a close and I daresay a good time was had by all. This year was much easier as I already had the database set up. Do you think it is a good idea to make it a yearly thing? I am willing to play host unless someone else has a burning desire to do so. I have been eying some sales and thinking about next year. Of course we don't have to decide any of this now, just something to think about.
    ...See More

Follow up on the bookmark exchange

Q

Comments (54)
    I mailed mine out yesterday. I finally got the ones I ordered and hurried home on my lunch break to get them mailed. I have to confess...there are two bookmarks in each card...except one. Even though I thought I had checked each envelope twice somehow I ended up with one leftover bookmark. So my apologies to whomever gets the card with only one bookmark in it!
    ...See More

2016 Bookmark Exchange

Q

Comments (54)
    It's funny that this topic of holiday cards came up because we were just discussing this in our office. We've even noticed a significant decline in the amount of cards we receive at work. Hopefully people and businesses will still value the tradition in the future. Also, thank you for the bookmarks I've received. I was trying to hold out until I received them all, but I just couldn't! It was a delight to open all of the card and bookmarks. Finally, I'm glad you like the geisha bookmarks that I sent. I always spend a lot of time trying to find a unique bookmark to send.
    ...See More

Bookmark exchange 2021?

Q

Comments (39)
    And I received my final bookmark yesterday, not surprising as I am the most distant of the current participants. I just finished reading the cards and oohing and aahing over the bookmarks. I've seen many lovely and clever and amusing bookmarks over the years, but never a better collection than the one I got this year. This has become one of my favorite Christmas traditions, right up there with the box of Christmas cookies I drop off each year at my local neighbothood library branch.
    ...See More
  • pam53
    11 years ago

didn't receive my list-perhaps you have an old e-mail address-my mail now is gardnerpam6@gmail.com

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Thanks, I have received my list. I have an idea or two on what bookmark to send, but have not yet made a decision.

Rosefolly

• donnamira
    11 years ago

I received my list too, and will be checking our missions to see which one has the coolest bookmarks this year. I think y'all got the Voyager bookmark last year!

• Kath
    11 years ago

I've got my list, thanks so much Siobhan.

• rouan
    11 years ago

I got my list too, thanks!

• wolf_seeker
    11 years ago

Got my list also, thanks Siobhan!

And, since I don't get to post very often, I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, and a wonderful Holiday Season!

Helen

• J C
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Making a list...checking it twice...

I have all the envelopes addressed. Haven't written out the cards yet, but obviously I have them. Haven't picked out bookmarks yet, but they will have to fit in the cards so that narrows it down. I will get them this weekend, though. Will make a trip somewhere, either to buy materials to make them or buy ready-made.

I was thinking of sending out some Spanish bookmarks from a large collection that I have, but in looking through them they aren't all that exciting. I enjoyed receiving them a great deal, but just getting one in a Christmas card will not be a big thrill. I want to get something really pretty. This year I'm into pretty. Flowers maybe, or birds. We'll see.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I found some long cards, so I am not worried about fitting the bookmarks in the envelopes when I do find them. My first idea panned out, I am sorry to say. I intended to get souvenir bookmarks from a quirky local attraction, the Winchester Mystery House. They sell mountains of souvenirs, but no bookmarks. I was quite surprised.

Not to worry. I have a back up plan. And a third plan, just in case.

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: Winchester Mystery House

• J C
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would have loved a bookmark from the Winchester Mystery House! I have always wanted to visit there. But I am sure Plan B and Plan C are really good also.

I bought the cards last year. I really love the cards so I'm willing to hunt around a little to find shorter bookmarks. They can only be about six inches or so. Of course it would be easier to make them, then I can get the size right.

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

I received my first bookmarks today from Veronica -- thank you so much, they're lovely! I never expected one so soon, it was a wonderful surprise.

I have my bookmarks ready to go, but no cards yet. Hopefully I'll have some shopping time this weekend.

• J C
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi cookiepa, I got your email but can't reply because you don't have an email on your profile here. Sorry, the exchange is already underway; maybe next year! I hope you see this -

• cookiepa
    11 years ago

Hi Siobhan,
    I sent you another email stating my mistake in reading more thoroughly.
    I saw that there was a deadline. As you said, maybe next year! Thanks for responding.

• veronicae
    11 years ago

Sheri, I'm glad you like them. I've had one since October, and the other since a choir rehearsal a couple of weeks ago. I found the cards on a search for something else. And then a free 1/2 hour showed up. I decided the time was right. And feared putting them aside for mailing later in the season...figured I would forget where I put them.

• frances_md
    11 years ago

Thank you, Veronica. Christmas is already cheerier!

• J C
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love the Lifetime Arts bookmark, as it is such a wonderful idea, and one close to my own heart. And the indie bookmark from my own beloved adopted state, a reminder that independent booksellers still exist and hopefully always will. Thanks!

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I dropped mine in the mail this afternoon. I was not able to find the bookmarks I had in mind, but I expect the substitute will do.

Rosefolly

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

Cookiepa.......

Send me an e-mail with your mailing address.
    Coincidentally I ended up with an extra and it must have been for you !

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

Mine went in the mail today :)

• veronicae
    11 years ago

I received Yvonne' s amazingly clever and beautiful bookmarks today, as well as Cheryl's which I will leave to surprise and awe the rest of you. Cheryl, I read an article about the radiation probe just recently. Thank you both for these gifts.

• veronicae
    11 years ago

I received Yvonne' s amazingly clever and beautiful bookmarks today, as well as Cheryl's which I will leave to surprise and awe the rest of you. Cheryl, I read an article about the radiation probe just recently. Thank you both for these gifts.

• pam53
    11 years ago

I have received some lovely bookmarks so far-just to let everyone know I have bookmarks and cards-need stamps-all should be in the mail by Monday!

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I have several now as well. It makes me look forward to getting the mail!

Rosefolly

• wolf_seeker
    11 years ago

I've gotten some in the mail also, so thank you! I've decided to see if I have enough will-power to wait until Christmas to open them this year. So far, I've managed to not open a single one.

It's been really crazy at work the past couple of months, so I'm a little behind this year, but I *will* get mine in the mail soon!

• rouan
    11 years ago

I too have been receiving cards and bookmarks in the mail. It's so much fun to anticipate what will show up next.

I'm a little behind this year; I've had the cards for a while but inspiration for the bookmarks has been lacking...until today. I finally got an idea and am going to see how it works.

Don't worry, I plan to mail them out by the end of next week so you should get them by Christmas! :)

• veronicae
    11 years ago

Three more bookmarks arrived Friday. This is so much fun! Thank you Paula(Rosefolly), Siobhan (extra thanks for organizing us!), and Shari.

• carolyn_ky
    11 years ago

I appreciate all the bookmarks I have received and will get mine in the mail Tuesday right after we host a church district dessert party tomorrow night, I promise.

Everyone who comes to the party brings a dessert, and we furnish hot mulled cider and coffee. I'm making Chocolate Covered Cherry Brownies. (Maybe they won't eat all of them.)

• rouan
    11 years ago

Carolyn, that sounds delicious! I just finished making mini cheesecake morsels and brownies for the Master Gardener Christmas meeting tomorrow evening.

I plan to address my cards and get them in the mail by Wed (now that my bookmark idea has worked out).

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

I love to pop several of theses into the micro for a few seconds to heat them up and melt the chocolate a bit...and munch them as I enjoy a cozy read.

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MINI MUFFINS

Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes in mini pan.

1 1/2 cup. flour
    3/4 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking sode
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. cloves
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 c. oil
    2 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1 small can pumpkin

After mixed well, add in 1/2 bag of good chocolate chips.

These freeze really well in a zip bag.

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

errata...
    that's 'soda' not 'sode' !!

• carolyn_ky
    11 years ago

Not only did they leave some of my brownies, someone left a tin of those peanut butter cookies with a Hershey kiss in the middle and someone else left half a strawberry-glazed cheesecake. 'Tis the season; back to the protein diet January 2.

Cards and bookmarks are on their way.

• rouan
    11 years ago

Yoyobon, that recipe looks delicious; I'm going to give it a try. Thank you!

My cards are addressed and ready to go in the mail tomorrow morning. Yay!

• sheriz6
    11 years ago

I received three envelopes yesterday and the bookmarks are wonderful! Thank you everyone, this is so much fun!

• carolyn_ky
    11 years ago

It is fun. My poor vase is so full of bookmarks that I can hardly stuff anymore in. I need to make up some more frames of them, and I have a blank wall on which to hang them, but I guess I'll have to get over the Christmas expenses first.

• Kath
    11 years ago

I haven't sent mine yet (shame) but they should be on their way very soon!
    Thanks to those I have received from- it's such fun.

• janalyn
    11 years ago

I haven't been to this site in ages and was delighted to see you all still exchanging bookmarks. I still have some from years ago.
    And my login and password still works. Actually, I am amazed I remembered :)
    Merry Christmas Everyone!

• J C
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Janalyn! It is so nice to see you again!

• twobigdogs
    11 years ago

Welcome back Janalyn! You have been missed.

My apologies now... my bookmarks are heading our tomorrow. Bowing head in shame...

PAM

• wolf_seeker
    11 years ago

I also am bowing my head in shame...and I will also be mailing out my bookmarks tomorrow. Sorry to be so late...time just got away from me this season! Haven't even *started* Christmas shopping yet!

Helen

• yoyobon_gw
    11 years ago

No need to feel sorry
    No need for remorse
    When your bookmarks arrive
    We will LOVE them, of course !!

Merry Christmas all.

• J C
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, it's good to spread them out a bit, don't you think? So nice to think there are still a few on the way!

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Siobhan - agreed. I am enjoying having them trickle in.

Rosefolly

• pam53
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas to all-we are currently in MD. for an early Xmas with our children, then home Sun. a.m. to be with my dad and hopefully younger daughter who has been sick. Sorry for such a mouthful, but it's late and I'm tired. I've loved all the bookmarks and cards I received before I left home a week ago and am looking forward to mail upon my return.

• frances_md
    11 years ago

When the cards and bookmarks arrived I peeked into the envelope to see them and then stacked them up until after Christmas to enjoy. Today I finally had time to go through them and remove the wonderful bookmarks. They are now in my rather large (and growing) stack of bookmarks from which I randomly pull one for each new book.

Thank you all so much for the bookmarks and for making the holidays that much more enjoyable!

P.S. My envelopes were removed from my mailbox before the mail was delivered and while I think a second mailman probably took them I have not been sure so I hope you did receive one from me.

• J C
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I did receive yours, Frances, a lovely small watercolor from your local garden.

I just received Astrokath's - although it was mailed at least three weeks ago, apparently it came by cargo ship and mule train. But it was really fun to receive it after I thought the fun was over. Yes Kath, it is up to standard, but my favorite is still the one with Whisky! That will probably always be my favorite.

• frances_md
    11 years ago

Thanks, Siobhan. That disappearance has been weighing on me but I didn't really think anyone would want to steal what looked like cards from my mailbox.

• Kath
    11 years ago

Thanks Siobhan. The one with Whisky was one of my favourites too. She is still with us, although she is 13, and still has lots of energy (and wakes me up at about 4:30 most mornings).
    And that is very slow post, isn't it?
    I'm pretty sure I have them all now, and thank you to everyone, I love them!

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I've just been tidying up, and spent some happy distraction playing with all my bookmarks. What fun! I hope everyone enjoyed them this year as much as I did.

Rosefolly

• J C
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am glad to know Whisky is still enjoying life, after I posted it occurred to me that she must be quite old and I hoped I didn't say something stupid. I use that bookmark in my devotional, so I see it every day. I'm an idiot for animals.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH