SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickitg

Speaking of Book Clubs...

vickitg
16 years ago

This is the time of year that my book club chooses books for the following year. We do this by having a Christmas party at which we have a gift exchange. Each member buys a book she thinks might be a good discussion book and reads it before wrapping it up and bringing it to the exchange. Whoever ends up with that book also reads it. Then at our January meeting the members who have read the book report on whether or not they think we should add it to our list for that year.

Last year was the first time we did it this way, and the group was pretty happy with the books we chose. We didn't, however, end up with a whole year's worth of reading, so we had to find some other titles.

Anyway, I could use some help choosing a book. So I wonder what five of your top book club choices have been. Not your top five, that's too hard to decide. I'm looking for books that were discussable and yet fun to read.

Books we read in 2007:

Gonzalez and Daughter Trucking Company

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

The Memory KeeperÂs Daughter

Drop City

My SisterÂs Keeper

Water for Elephants

The Virgin of Small Plains

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

Note: I wouldn't put any of those on my top ten list.

Unfortunately, we don't stray far from the standard book club fare ... although I would love to. But, see the Book Club Books that Bombed thread, and you'll see that straying doesn't always work out.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (35)