SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reader_in_transit

Book Club Angst

reader_in_transit
13 years ago

On the "July--What are you Reading?" thread I made a comment about my book club and depressing books, but thought it would be better to discuss it on a separate thread.

The book club I belong to has read one heartbreaking/tragic/depressing book after another, with only 1 or 2 exceptions.

What is it with book clubs and depressing books? Does people in the book clubs think that happy or uplifting books are not good literature or do not provide fodder for a good discussion? Often, when I'm reading the selected books, it feels too much like being back in school where I had to trudge through books I didn't enjoy...

The discussions have not been as enriching as they could be, either. Frequently, they tend to focus on minor aspects of the book, and have overlooked the most obvious themes presented. Example: with People of the Book, there was hardly any discussion about the true story and book upon which the novel is based, which is an amazing story on its own. They concentrated on the strained mother-daughter relationship of the curator that restores the book (I tried to stir the discussion away, to no avail).

What has your experience been with book clubs? Depressing or sad books also? If so, how do you feel about that? What about the discussions? Have they been thought-provoking, rewarding? And how do you maneuver the discussion in one direction? There is no leader in our group. The person who nominated the book, leads the discussion for that book. The group was organized by a local bookstore a year ago (books are chosen though by members of the group).

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH