SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reader_in_transit

October autumnal readings

reader_in_transit
15 years ago

I posted this message on the September Readings thread, and immediately after realized that it was already October 1st.

On Saturday I went to the public library sale and bought 7 books, $1 apiece, among them The Echo Maker by Richard Powers, An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor and The New Yorkers by Cathleen Schine.

Cece,

Did you finish The September Society? Did you like it? I read recently the first book by this author, A Beautiful Blue Death, and liked it.

Lemonhead,

I read Moon Tiger years ago. I didn't like it. I'd be interested in hearing how you feel about it.

Kren,

They did a movie of The French Lieutenant's Woman years ago, with Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irons. I haven't read the book, but the movie was pretty good.

Kath,

I'm with Vee, you have to tell us about your trip when you reach to your final destination. It would be interesting if you add which books you read in each leg of the trip.

Comments (130)

• frances_md
    15 years ago

dorieann, I'm a little more than 3/4 through The Brass Verdict and am enjoying it very much. It is written from the point of view of Mickey Haller and Bosch is just a character in the book so it is a little different than the Bosch books.

In an effort to make it last longer I actually put it down and read another book that I found in the knitting section in Borders, which turned out to be a self-help book but still very funny. Drunk, Divorced & Covered in Cat Hair is written by Laurie Perry who has a blog under the name of Crazy Aunt Purl (for those knitters out there).

While in Borders, I found Sacajawea so it is now in my TBR room. The new issue of Bookmarks has a listing of recommended historical fiction books so I'm going through that as well.

And Anita Shreve's new book will be available Tuesday. I know most RPers don't care for her books but I look forward to them and am anxious to read it. I think I'm out of my fiction-reading slump, thank goodness.

siobhan, I'm so sorry to hear about your job. Is this your dream job that you mentioned earlier?

• J C
    15 years ago

Alas, yes, my dream job will probably be a just a dream soon. I'm pretty upset but trying very hard to keep it all in perspective. This economy...I thought I was safe, but I was wrong. I can probably go back to my old job, which was perfectly okay, or find another job in my field before too much time passes. Let me tell you, reading has been a great help in getting through this time. Although I am obviously watching my spending, I subscribed to the New York Review of Books. Man and Woman cannot live by bread alone. (Besides, it was a great deal - $10 for a year.)

• Related Discussions

Maple - October Glory vs. Autumn Blaze (bare with me! :))

Q

Comments (45)
    Yes, we are Sunset 3B here.... The sunshine on most days and temps in summer is the reason so much agriculture grows successfully here. Of course, they irrigate. I am surprised Wenatchee is the same zone as us, but I guess it doesn't take into account the amount of snowfall they get (They are probably the -15f extreme.. we are more like -5f.) RE: the suitability of the trees I listed, The Thornless Honeylocust seems to thrive here, it does well in alkaline soil and is drought tolerant. As a prairie tree, it thrives in full sun. I have noticed many honeylocusts in yards that do not irrigate, growing just fine... The list of negatives of the tree is pretty short, and it seems very adaptable to our conditions. Linden -- RE: irrigating, I don't know. We will have some lawn on the property, so a tree/trees in that area would get more water. Linden tolerates alkaline soil and has small leaves... Thus, it seemed to be an *option.* ash -- I still have to go to our local extension office.. I will ask them about borers here. Ash also tolerates alkaline soil and was another option for my lawn area. If the borers are that bad here, I won't consider it.
    ...See More

October Glory AND Autumn Blaze won't turn red

Q

Comments (7)
    "We have had very warm winters lately so Im wondering if that effected them." Shouldn't have anything to do with it. Both are heavily planted and grow well here and generally get great fall color and we have much milder winters than you ever get in Ohio! But fall color is highly dependent on climate and weather issues as well as tree genetics. Drought as well as excessive rainfall and too warm temps late into the season can negatively impact fall color development. btw, both are not Acer rubrum cultivars. 'October Glory' is but 'Autumn Blaze' is a Freeman maple, a hybrid between red and silver maples.
    ...See More

Opinions - Autumn Blaze vs. October Glory

Q

Comments (3)
    I have several October Glory and my neighbor has several Autumn Blaze. They are all planted fairly close together in our back yards. The Autumn blaze are growing faster, but the thing I do not like about them is that when they turn color in the fall(darker red than mine), they drop the leaves right away so you can not even enjoy the color change. My October Glory are a brighter red and put on a longer show.
    ...See More

Ft Worth Autumn Swap October 17 2015 TRADE THREAD

Q

Comments (28)
    Abarbie4me2, I put the Herniaria Glabra seeds and the black & blue salvia in a box for you! I've been pleasantly surprised by my little baby HGs this summer. I started them with the plan of planting them between stepping stones, I just never got around to getting the stepping stones in place, so mine have just stayed in containers all summer. I failed to water them for 3 weeks in August, but they survived and perked right back up after I gave them a little drink! The only thing they don't seem to like is full afternoon sun. Oh, and the packet has 200 seeds, not 50. Bonus! Sylvia, I too am getting excited. Am about to run out and get you some Folgers Black Silk. Thanks in advance for digging up your cannas! Also, my inner rose addict is curious... Are any of your rose cuttings from the SA swap St. Cecilia by any chance?
    ...See More
  • woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

I've just read the first chapter of "Angle of Repose." I hope I can get through such a long work. Thus far, it seems rather heavy-handed to me, but perhaps it will "come alive" for me, if I persist....

• rouan
    15 years ago

Woodnymph,

I read Angle of Repose several years ago and found it very compelling reading. Stick with it, I think you will like it.

I just checked over my booklist for this month and was surprised to find that of all of the books I've gone through this month, the majority of them have been re-reads/audiobooks. The only new one I read/listened to was The Cliff House Murders by Sara Tallman.

• netla
    15 years ago

Siobhan, sorry to hear about your job.

I just finished the Culinaria book on the food culture of Russia and 4 other former Soviet states, and started the European Specialties volume. I also finished Isabel Allende's Aphrodite, which is an entertaining look at aphrodisiac cookery, with recipes.

I am now reading Clive Barker's Abarat, a YA fantasy that is promising to be a good read, and Dervla Murphy's On a Shoestring to Coorg, about travelling in India with her 5 year old daughter.

• J C
    15 years ago

I'm deep into Life Class by Pat Barker and finding it very good. (I always feel a little strange passing judgment on an author who has won a Booker.) Her writing seems, on the surface, to be simplistic; yet the characters are very complex. Since I am quite interested in WWI and have made something of a study of it, I am always interested in the real people she sprinkles into her novels.

Woodnymph, I found the first bit of Angle of Repose tough going. Frankly, I didn't understand what was going on! Once I got to Chapter 3 or so, it fell into place. I hope you will like it, but don't waste any time on it if you don't. This book definitely is not a quick read.

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

Wood - Angle of Repose takes a little while to get into and to sort out all the different perspectives, but once you get the hang of it, it all strings together and I found it to be unputdownable. But then again, if you still don't like it, don't worry about reading it. It's not school and life is too short for books you don't enjoy...

I am now finishing up "These Foolish Things" by Deborah Moggach, a lovely book (novel) about a group of English OAPs/Sr citizens who decide to join a new retirement center/hotel in India. The books follows the relationships between each of the hotel residents to each other and also to the new country they are now living in.

It's very English in how it's written and I thoroughly enjoyed the vernacular that she used just because it brought me back to England a lot of the time. The story is really good, although a bit corny in places.

Overall, I loved it. A good read and I will be looking for more by this author very soon.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement re "Angle of Repose." I am now about 70 pages into the book and it is getting more interesting, so I plan to stick with it.

• smallcoffee
    15 years ago

AFter a very long slump, I got back into reading with a young adult series, the Time Quartet by Caroline Cooney. I read the first two. I have just started the White Witch by Elizabeth Goudge.

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

I'm still reading Angle of Repose. Like woodnymph, it took me a while to get into it and I have to read slowly to really take it all in. I'm just stunned by the quality of the writing and I'm looking forward to the discussion.

• J C
    15 years ago

Just finished Life Class by Pat Barker, terrific book about a couple who choose very different paths during WWI. I also have A Victorian Gentlewoman In The Far West by Mary Hallock Foote. This is the memoir Angle of Repose borrows from so heavily. I'm not going to read it cover to cover, but it is fun to skim after reading AoR. Now I am moving on to Wesley the Owl, written by a woman who adopted and raised an injured baby owl. Also Snakehips, a memoir by a woman who turned to bellydancing after a tough breakup and The New Paradigm for Financial Markets by George Soros. The latter is a highly readable essay about our current financial crisis. These should keep me busy for awhile.

• georgia_peach
    15 years ago

You can also find some of Mary Hallock Foote's illustrations, such as for Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, over at Gutenberg.org (these are described in AoR, so might be interesting to readers of the book).

My current read: Virginia Woolf's Orlando, thankfully lighter than other books by her that I've tried.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Scarlet Letter

• frances_md
    15 years ago

After finishing The Brass Verdict on Monday (it was very enjoyable but I think I prefer the Bosch books) yesterday morning I downloaded Anita Shreve's Testimony to my Kindle and read it all in one day. It was a little different than her other books, to the best of my memory, but to me it obviously was unputdownable. I think it was one of her best.

Thanks to dorieann, now I'm reading The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss and am already loving it. So many good books so close together! Its a shame my reading time will be very limited for the next couple of weeks.

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

I have finished Off Season, new from Anne Rivers Siddons. I liked it really well until the end where she got a little off as she does sometimes. It's a good story, though. It isn't that I didn't like the ending; it's just strange.

• dorieann
    15 years ago

Frances, hope you continue to enjoy The Whiskey Rebels. It's taking me forever to get through, but I think it is because the two stories switching alternate chapters. It breaks my concentration and keeps me from getting immersed in the book. But it is good, so I want to finish it. At least I'm learning something about finance in early America!

• twobigdogs
    15 years ago

At the library yesterday, I spotted a slim volume with a bright red binding. I slipped it from the shelf and read the front flap. Excitedly, I checked it out and brought it home. I will finish it today, and probably buy my own copy right away. It is The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett. I love it so far. I am on page 83 of 120 pages. From the flap, "When her corgis stray into a mobile library parked near Buckingham Palace, the Queen feels duty-bound to borrow a book." And from there, the Queen discovers a love of reading and begins to positively devour books. It is not only fun, but a great essay on why we love books. I have to read it again if only for the great reading quotes!
    PAM

• ccrdmrbks
    15 years ago

PAM-after Uncommon Reader redux, zip along to the lib and check out Old Filth. Just inhaled it in 2 days (so a tome it is not, but worthwhile) and it is definitely your kinda...
    Is your bookclub coming to the Three Cups of Tea Author's Luncheon in November in Lancaster?
    Mine is, so obviously the book is our current read, but I have to admit that I am having trouble even opening the cover. Just don't feel like reading it.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

Carolyn, is the new Siddons book really so much better than her others? The only work of hers I liked were "Peachtree Road" (a roman a clef), "Downtown", and "Hill Towns." I thought the rest of her books went rapidly downhill in recent years, the same old, same old. I know that this author has been battling cancer....

I continue to slog through "Angle of Repose." I like it but it is slow going for me due to the density of the writing and the long descriptions of landscapes, etc.

• thyrkas
    15 years ago

Our book club met last night to discuss "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison. Such beautiful writing - closer to poetry than to prose, in some ways; such a difficult subject. Had a great discussion.

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

I went to the FoL book sale (two hours after getting discharged from hospital - insanity or dedication - you choose!) and got a Penelope Lively book called "City of the Mind". Slightly strange as it keeps going off on these tangents, but hoping it will eventually congeal into one story line. I will keep plodding along, but if it doesn't pick up soon, it's into the donation pile it goes.

Also - as a note of interest: I sent an email to Deborah Moggach who wrote "These Foolish Things", a book I read recently and really enjoyed. To my surpise, she replied within the hour with a really nice and friendly email thanking me for the note etc. This was the first time that I have contacted an author to rave about their work so this was rather a thrill to me. I am such a nerd.

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

Woodnymph, I read (maybe a quote from Siddons herself) that she is interested in writing about families although not necessarily what one ordinarily thinks of as "family." That sort of helped me with her later books. My husband and I once did an Amtrak trip cross country and back, and prior to leaving I went to a second-hand bookstore and bought all her older books I could find. Consequently, they all sort of run together for me.

At any rate, I did like her new book better than the last few. As I said, though, she weirded out on the ending--not unpleasant but not plausible, either.

PAM, I enjoyed The Uncommon Reader, too.

• Kath
    15 years ago

Pam, I wrote a shelf review for The Uncommon Reader at work and part of it said 'treat yourself with this charming little book'. It has just come out in paperback here.

• twobigdogs
    15 years ago

astrokath, yes, you've said it perfectly.... it is a charming book, and it is certainly a treat. I've taken cece's advice and requested Old Filth from my library. While I am waiting for it, I hope to finish Wuthering Heights. Sacajawea has not arrived yet.

PAM

• J C
    15 years ago

You might like another of Bennett's, The Clothes They Stood Up In. A little gem.

I finished Mrs. Mike, after having to request it twice from the library and read it from two different editions. I felt a little guilty about that. Lovely book, compelling story, one that will stay with me.

I'm almost done with Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien, liking it very much. I have certainly been on a roll with enjoyable reading lately.

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

PAM - You will have to let me know what you think of Old FILTH. I loved it and have been trying to get people to read it wherever I go, so will be interested to hear what you think of it.

I am right on the edge of giving up on my present read, "City of the Mind" but each time I come close, something happens to keep me going. It's just such a strange book - she keeps throwing in these historical situations for no apparent reason with characters you've never heard of and so it can get quite confusing. Still, I will soldier on and see if it gets any better.

• twobigdogs
    15 years ago

siobhan, Forgive me, but I laughed when I read your post suggesting The Clothes They Stood Up In. We are on the same wavelength today as I've been going through the TBR stacks in my living room... yes, TBR stacks all over the house... and I actually HAVE this other little Bennett book. It had completely slipped my mind. All of a sudden, thanks to all of you, I am excited to get reading all of these books!

lemon, yes, I promise to share my opinion on Old Filth once I've read it. With cece and now you recommending it, I am looking forward to it very much indeed.

I am thinking of starting a discussion thread on Wuthering Heights. Would anyone be interested? I cannot put it down but yet I get so frustrated with everyone in the book.

PAM

• J C
    15 years ago

I also loved Old Filth, so I am sure you will like it ;)

• smallcoffee
    15 years ago

Thanks to those who mentioned Elizabeth Goudge. I am really enjoying "The White Witch". Her descriptions of and connection with nature and human nature are just beautiful.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

I adore Eliz. Goudge. I've read almost everything she has ever written, including her autobiography: "The Joy of Snow." We once had a thread on her writings here at RP. The only book by her I've not read is "White Witch." I went to look for it in my local public library and it had been "purged", probably by those political extremists who will condemn everything with the word "witch" in it, as being "anti-Christian" and "of the Devil." A real pity, as her books are mostly out of print, now.

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

Well, I finally gave up on P Fitzgerald's "City of the Mind" -- far too disjointed and frustrating for me to continue, even though I have reached the halfway point. I had no idea where the plot was going and although the dust jacket had mentioned a love story, there was no sign of the proposed loved person....

So - onto the 2008 version of "America's Best Travel Writing". I usually enjoy these so hoping for a good read to make up for the Fitzgerald failure.

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

Woodnymph, you ought to be able to find Elizabeth Goudge's White Witch through a used book vendor. That's how I found mine. It is my favorite of her books.

I have requested Old Filth and Uncommon Reader from my public library. Until RP brought these to my attention, I'd never heard of either. I expect to enjoy them both.

Right now I'm reading the latest Francis-Francis novel, Silk. I'm enjoying it.

Rosefolly

• dorieann
    15 years ago

Yay! I finally finished The Whiskey Rebels and am now moving onto Connelly's The Brass Verdict. (Is it a little pathetic that I have an autumn-themed bookmark that color coordinates to the book jacket?)

Although I strained a bit to get through the middle of the book, near the end of Rebels it really took off and I finished it quickly. Overall a very good book.

• vickitg
    15 years ago

I finished reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and absolutely loved it. The ending may have been a bit predictable, but I loved the writing and the gentle humor. Thanks so much to whoever mentioned it.

I'm now reading a Terry Pratchett "The Fifth Elephant." Next up is a re-read of "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" for my book discussion group. I'm hoping for a good discussion.

Not sure what I'll read after that, but I'm getting some good ideas from RP, per usual.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    15 years ago

Carolyn, I picked up Death's Half Acre with trepidation. Having read it was about the problems with unplanned development, I feared it was a Kingsolver style screed. I was delighted to find an entertaining mystery which still made a point without using an anvil.

Pam and CeCe, my bookclub has Three Cups of Tea on the schedule for this year. Drat. We also have Labyrinth next month, which everyone here hated when it came out if I remember correctly. Couldn't talk them out of it without being rude to the member who suggested it.

Kren, did you get around to The Sparrow? This was the first science fiction novel which made me, a sci-fi nut who'd gladly sign up to colonize Mars, fearful of first contact. It's not space opera, more an exploration of faith/ideas set in a science fiction universe.

I had the strangest experience reading David Baldacci's The Camel Club. I fell asleep listening to the audiobook and woke up to the depiction of a shoot out between the secret service and bad guys with a vivid description of muzzle flash. And outside my window were flashes of light and pops. Turned out to be the failure of a power wire in the rain two doors down. Still, scary synchronicity.

Next up, Thomas Friedman's Hot, Flat, and Crowded.

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

I finished Angle of Repose last night - quite a book! I'm not sure what will be next, though I'm on the waiting list for Old Filth at the library.

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

About 75% done with AOR, and loving it. Also reading a Martha Grimes that, as I get into it, I think I've read already!

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

Chris, have you read the first Deborah Knott book, Bootlegger's Daughter? I just love it. In the whole series, Ms. Maron has got southern family interaction, conversation, and food down to a tee. It's kind of like a visit home.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    15 years ago

Carolyn, I read Bootlegger's Daughter after you first mentioned Maron way back when and fell in love with the series. I agree, it is like a visit home. Except that my grandfather always had a rifle with him for protection because the farmer to one side of him was a bootlegger not as civilized as Kendall Knott. Still, I have 36 first cousins who get together at the drop of a hat and the family stuff makes me homesick. Having more trouble getting copies of her other series. I've read and enjoyed One Coffee With.

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

I ordered the other Maron series from abe.com. I don't like them as well as the Knott books, but I had to read them!

Gosh, I only had 17 first cousins. There are four of us siblings, now beginning to have great-grandchildren. We have about 40 at my sister's house for Christmas dinner. All the previous generation are gone except for one aunt by marriage and one uncle by marriage. On one side, I'm the oldest now except for a cousin who has Alzheimers; on the other, there are two older than I. It is really a strange feeling--it seems like we should be our children's ages and their children should be their age.

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

I've never counted my cousins, but my mother was the youngest of 11 children.

I've never heard of the Knott books.

• J C
    15 years ago

I've started Jane Juska's Unaccompanied Women and liking it just as much as her first, A Round-Heeled Woman. I would love to buy this lady lunch. In fact, I would like to write her a real letter - does anyone know how I get an address? She doesn't have a website. I know her personal, real addy isn't appropriate (or easily obtainable) but there must be a place to write authors. She writes with such honesty and clarity and courage. This book is really helping me through a tough time in my life right now.

• vickitg
    15 years ago

siobhan - Probably the best way to reach her is through her publisher. Or if she thanks an agent or editor in her acknowledgements, you might try sending a letter through them. Good luck.

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

Siobhan - sorry you are having a tough time right now. I remember you were going to be laid off (or may have been already) - I have been there and it's worrying. Hopefully things will turn again for you. Anyway, positive thoughts from me to you.

I am reading the 2008 edition of "America's Best Travel Writing" and there is a selection in there about learning to drive in China which is downright hilarious. Truly truly funny. Highly recommend it even if you only read it in the book store. You will be muffling your smirks.

Other selections are good as well, but that one stands out.

• kren250
    15 years ago

I just finished Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino. Like the other book by her I've read (Out), this one took a bleak, dark look at the underbelly of real life. Grotesque is about three young women who attend a very prestigious private school, only to have their lives not turn out how they expected. A hard-to-put-down psychological drama. I rated it a 8/10, and hope to someday read her other two books that have been translated to English.

Next up is Intruder in the Dust by William Faulkner. If the first 20 pages are any indication, it'll be a great read!

Kelly

• carolyn_ky
    15 years ago

I've finished A Most Wanted Man, new from John LeCarre. I liked it a lot right up to the end, but what else could one expect from Mr. LeCarre?

Now I'm reading The Golden Mile to Murder by Sally Spencer. She is a new author to me. The setting is Blackpool, and I have picked a book in the middle of a series. I like it enough that I will look for others.

• rosefolly
    15 years ago

I just finished the newest Spenser novel from Robert Parker, Rough Weather. It ought to have been stale; I've read so many. But my DH and I agreed that it felt fresh. I enjoyed it very much, probably because it appealed to my basest instincts, cutting through the nuances when emotions are high, with a frosting of wit to top it off. Parker's writing style is simple and direct, but he is clearly a man who loves language.

Rosefolly

• woodnymph2_gw
    15 years ago

Finally finished "Angle of Repose" by Stegner and loved it. I have gone back to the beginning to re-read some parts of it. This will be a hard act to follow, but I think I will look for his "Crossing to Safety" next....

• thyrkas
    15 years ago

Our book club is reading "Julie and Julia - My year of Cooking Dangerously" by Julie Powell. From the back: "...Julie Powell decided to reclaim her life by cooking, in the span of a single year, every one of the 524 recipes in Julia Child's legendary (cookbook) 'Mastering the French Art of Cooking'" Could be fun!

woodnymph - I finally purchased my own copy of "Crossing to Safety". The first time I read it the copy was from the library. I was thinking of starting to read it now, but I better wait until we are finished with the AOR discussion.

• sheriz6
    15 years ago

Thyrkas, Julie and Julia is great fun, I really enjoyed that book. Julia Child was reportedly quite upset about it, but I think it was done with respect, and it's a very entertaining story. Julie Powell has a blog if you're interested, though she's talking more politics these days than cooking (link below).

I still haven't picked up another book after finishing Angle of Repose. I do have Crossing to Safety on my bedside table, but I think I need something light and funny in between. I'll have to see what else is in the TBR pile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Julie Powell blog - What Could Happen?

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    15 years ago

I've finally gotten around to Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel and it is very easy book to read. I'm glad I'm listening rather than reading because the margins would be covered with arguments and I'm sure my blood pressure would be through the roof. Listening moves me along to quickly to get too invested in counterpoints. He cherry picks the data that supports his theory and ignoring what doesn't. I was willing to believe his biological arguments because, well, I'm no biologist. But when he started the discussion of the domestication of animals, I thought of all the recent research on the expression of genes that makes his entire premise wrong. I hate it when people get interesting ideas about the way the world happened and "feel" that the idea is just too great to rigorously verify.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz