SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajpa_gw

YA Books that are too mature?

ajpa
14 years ago

Do you read Young Adult (YA) books and if so, do you think the some of the newer ones are too graphic/mature?

Yesterday I passed by the library and saw a Young Adult fantasy book on the new arrivals shelf that had an intriguing cover and a shiny medal/award (best children's book of the year list) of some kind and a blurb that made it seem like a fairytale retelling. So I picked it up for my 12yo bookworm.

I decided to read it first and ugh, so glad I did. It is, in my opinion, horribly dark and graphic. I only made it midway then skipped to the end. I'm returning it.

The title is Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. I'm not much of a prude, but I thought it was really inappropriate for teens. I'm 40 and I feel like I need to scrub my mind of it. I am upset by it.

(spoilers)

It starts off with the "real" - cruel -world, rather like a dark ages village. The main character is a girl being sexually abused by her father, and repeatedly dosed so she miscarries. Then her dad gets his head bashed in by a horse before he can make her miscarry again. She has a baby. Then she gets gang-raped. Suicidal, she attempts to kill her baby first but some kind of magic intervenes and she and the baby are whisked into a perfect world -- just like her old world but everything made nice. She has a second baby (from the gang-rape) there. The babies are obviously versions of Snow White & Rose Red.

In the meantime, a 1st person character, a greedy dwarf, uses the village witch (an old flame)to trespass into the perfect world and steal gold. (Same witch who had supplied the abortifaecients to the father in the beginning). Somehow the two girls run across him, but by then I skipped to the last chapter, where Rose Red is now an apprentice witch. Snow White is staying in perfect world to be happily married to a bear, while still somewhat mourning her first love, a wolf. The mother (main character) is happy for her kids but heartbroken because she is also in love with the bear. I don't think (though I skipped a lot) that any reason for the magical intervention was given.

(end of spoilers)

What makes it ultimately horrible, for me, is that none of the characters engage my sympathy. The 1st person dwarf is selfish and greedy, the mother and daughters are written so remotely, like wooden puppets.

Sorry for such a long post, but I guess I just want to vent. This is an award winning YA book? What the heck?

Comments (14)